Mosin Nagant

bgbrown125

US Patriot
Greetings!
I was considering purchasing a Mosin Nagant. Do any of you own one and what is your experience with the weapon?

Happy Holidays

My dad bought my brother one of these really cheap from Cabelas the last time I was in New Orleans. I haven't shot it yet but my brother shot one and had really liked it. I'll be shooting it sometime during Christmas when I head down there.

Hello BigBrown, There are several mosins out there. I have some M-44, M-38, M91/30, and an M1890. Some of these guns are close to a hundred years old. My M90 was made in 1913. Yes they are Russian, different looking, do not have an easy to operate safety ( compared to most firearms) and they fire an OLD cartridge , 7.62 X .54R , that you wont find at Wal-Mart. But many / most that are on the market right now are in arsenal refinished condition ( look almost new) , are built like a tank, inexpensive to buy , good to exceptional accuracy, and you will find the ammo at your local gun shop and on line. I think you are going to love it! NH Please note that I edited my post today as I realized that I forgot the " o " in Hello. I apologize to all for that misspelling.

Which do you like best

I was looking at the M44 and the 91/30. Do you have a preference?
There are some really nice examples out there. Decisions - Decisions !!!

Sorry for not getting back any sooner. Was not on the computer much this weekend. I like the M91/30 a little more over the M44. Mine just seem to shoot better than the M44. I kinda like the long , Cossack look with the M91/30 also. Some people like the Hex receiver over the round one. The M44 has a fixed bayonet. The M38 or M39 is about the same length as the M44 but no bayo. Try to get the accessories with the rifle ( cartridge pouch, cleaning kit, sling, & bayo ( 91/30). That is the short answer. If you want to go deeper you can. There is a small cult following with Mosins. Apparently the Finnish ones are the finest made. I am on a budget so I try to get nice rifles at a cheep price. Basically I would suggest you heft a few to your shoulder and decide which one you are more comfortable with. I am sure you will be happy with which ever one you choose. You may want to go to 7.62x54r.net for some more ( much more ) in depth information on these fine rifles. Good Luck. NH

I just bought my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 just after Thanksgiving. Got it all cleaned up and I've had it to the range once. Really shoots nice. At 50 yds the first 5 shot were all in a 4" square. With my old eyes and the iron sights I didn't think that was too bad, I'm sure with a little practice with the rifle it could be much better. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on a nice shooting rifle. One thing to remember is most all the ammo you'll find will be surplus and will be corrosive and you will need to be sure to clean the gun promptly after your done shooting. I found online while researching the Mosin that Windex w/amonia will help neutralize the corrosive residue the ammo leaves behind. I carried a bottle to the range and spray down the bolt, receiver and down the barrel before I left. After getting home I then just gave it a normal cleaning, did the Windex help?, who knows, maybe next trip I'll try it without the Windex and compare.

5234479866_a930fe3450_z.jpg

Hello pug and congratulations on your new Mosin. They are definitly built tough and shoot true. Yes , a lot of that surplus ammo is corrosive and windex will do the trick. Here is a link to an article on SurplusRifle.com that nicely covers that issue. Link Removed
I figure armies have been shooting corrosive amo for decades. You just have to clean them properly. With the price of new ammo , the surplus stuff looks really nice. I probably have 1k rds of surplus 7.62x54r and 3k 8mm Mauser but wish I would have bought more when it was even cheeper. I also hear you about the eyes. I put a scout set up on my sons M44 and that is better than the irons ( for me that is). Anyways, I like your rifle. Nice pic of it on the deck rail. NH

Two primary versions to look for.

Hex receiver - receiver top will be distinctly hexagonal shaped
Round receiver - receiver top will be round

The hex receiver is the more desired and in my opinion tends to be a bit better quality. If you're wanting it to hunt with in any way then either one will be just fine. Beware, there are sporterized versions out there, so do a little research before you commit to a buy on one.

I've seen prices between $89 and $200 depending on the seller, receiver type, and condition. $100-125 is where I prefer to be on them. These are going to be just like the SKS market, they're cheap as heck now, but once they catch on or demand spikes they'll skyrocket in price.

If you're ok with an older combat rifle then you'll be pleasantly pleased by this particular type of fire-breathing dragon. Bring a travel pillow, you might just thank me later.

Love my 91/30..it's a blast to shoot. I love all the history in these Nagants. Easy to take apart and clean.

Link Removed

Looks nice. I wish I could get out and do some shooting but it may be awhile. Too much of a hassle hiking 400 yds in through 3 ft of snow just to get to the shooting benches. It is a good time of year to organize the gun room & do some reloading though. nh

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back