MN CCW Non-Resident Permit

JDWest

Hello, I understand I can apply for a non-resident permit with proof of attendance to a training class. My question is this: I am a NRA Certified Instructor so does that qualify me in regard to the training class? This may be a question I need to ask a MN County Sheriff but thought someone here may know the answer.

JDWest......Just curious as to what discipline are you certified to train by the NRA? That maybe would determine the answer to your question. I'd guess that a pistol training course would be the one most qualified IF they would honor that. Just a thought. I believe MN sheriff can charge up to $100 for the permit and you have to be there in person at any county sheriff office.

Irish bird dog

I am qualified for First Steps, Basic Pistol, RSO and marksmanship programs. I am going to call a MN Sheriff and ask the question. Second question is: Does NRA Basic Pistol class qualify a person for the permit?

Irish bird dog

I am qualified for First Steps, Basic Pistol, RSO and marksmanship programs. I am going to call a MN Sheriff and ask the question. Second question is: Does NRA Basic Pistol class qualify a person for the permit?

Can't answer your question but I do know MN requires firing live rounds as part of the permit classification (see below) but so does the NRA Basic Pistol class therefore it may qualify...however, they may require you to take their course as seems to be indicated in info below from what I think is a private training company not state of MN. Best to ask the state of MN.

Info following is from a website (not official state of MN data)

Minnesota Carry Permit Shooting Qualification

You must use a handgun capable of firing five shots without reloading. Single-action revolvers (cowboy-style) are discouraged due to reloading time. Tiny "pocket pistols" (.22, .25 and .32s) are discouraged because they are difficult to shoot accurately.

If you bring a semiautomatic, at least one spare magazine will be helpful.

If you do not have a suitable handgun, you can rent our .22 revolver or semiautomatic for $15, ammunition included. The range rents a variety of larger caliber handguns for $15, but you must also purchase their ammunition (~$15-20 additional).

You will need 30 rounds of ammunition for the test. No steel or aluminum cases. Bring your own or purchase at the range.

A baseball cap (worn properly) is recommended to prevent ejected cases from falling behind your safety glasses.

You will need eye and ear protection. Bring your own or we have safety glasses ($5), earplugs (free) and muffs for sale. Standard muffs and safety glasses are also available at the range. They may or may not charge a rental fee depending upon phases of the moon.

You must demonstrate safe handling at all times. If you point a firearm at anyone, at any time, for any reason other than genuine self-defense, you will be dismissed immediately. No excuses. No retest. No refund.

A major safety violation or repeated minor violations will constitute a FAIL even if you otherwise achieve a passing score. A negligent discharge is an automatic FAIL:
1. You MUST be wearing eye and ear protection before you enter the range.
2, No uncased or unholstered firearms off the firing line.
2. Keep muzzle pointed downrange at all times.
3. Keep finger off trigger at all times.
4. Do not load firearm until given the order to do so (loaded magazines O.K.)
5. Do not fire until given the order to do so.
6. Cease fire immediately if ordered.

We use a full-sized (25x38) silhouette target: photo

Aiming point is the lightest colored oval in the center. The next oval out, slightly darker, is the 5-point ring. Any shots inside this area, including the center, are five points. One point reduction as shots progress outwards to successively darker areas. Any shots outside the silhouette is a FAIL (injured bystander). You can go to the end of the line and shoot again. A second fail on the same day means you need more practice. Schedule a retest.

You will fire two stages:

Stage 1, Part 1: 5 yards (15 feet)
On command, load and make ready.
On command, fire five rounds in fifteen seconds.

Stage 1, Part 2:
On command, load and make ready.
On command, fire five rounds, reload, fire five more rounds in one minute.

Stage 2 is identical to Stage 1, except target is moved back to 7 yards (21 feet).

You must score 105 out of a possible 150 points. If you can group smaller than a turkey platter near center of mass, you will pass on score.

No head shots.
No shots off silhouette.
Raise the gun to the target, do not raise gun above target and "draw down".

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you Irish Bird dog. That sounds a lot like the NRA Basic Pistol Class. Even some of the verbiage is the same. I called 2 MN County sheriff's offices and go the same answer to my question: "I don't know". And they couldn't direct me to anyone (or agency) that could answer my question. It seems that they can pull up the MN class results on line and print the certificates and that's all they know about it. I am going to try the AG's office next and see if they can answer the question. I guess I can just submit my application and trainer's certificate/credentials and see what happens. Don't especially want to lose $100 though if they turn it down. Seems like there must be someone somewhere that can answer the question. Of course it may come down to the additional revenue generated by the MN class.

Thanks again. I'll post what I learn if anything.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back