Mishap at Emergency Room

trophyhunter

Last night My wife,and I took our 4 year old to Mercy Hospitol's ER. She had a fever of 104 Upon arriving, I proceeded to go to the Security Office to have them stow my sidearm while we where in the ER. The Hospitol has an No-weapons policy.
which I fully Understand.

After the Security Gaurd recorded all of my CCW Info
I un-loaded my Gun, and handed to the head of Security,for him to put in the lockbox. That's when the (sh t) hit the fan, as he took my weapon, he dropped it,and cracked my wooden grips on my 1911.

Thank god I un-loaded it, or there could of been a real mishap. When my 1911 hit the floor I said what-the Fudge !!!! His reply, OOPS I picked up my weapon,and
advised him that he damaged my wooden grips. I asked him what he was going to do,or
how he wanted to handle the situation.

He said to me, that it was'nt directly his fault,because the gun was slippery,I looked at him, and said you have got to be kidding me.. Now at this point I'm
extremely pissed so, instead of creating a seen I took pictures of the cracked grips,I recorded his name, and got a copy of the property reciept.

Today 10/18/2011 I called the Hospitols Admins office,and spoke too the head of the hospitol. after explaining what happened, he was very understanding, He too has his CCW so he fully understood why I was upset. But he also thanked me for not creating a seen when it happened.

he advised me to order my replacement grips, and bring him the reciept. At which point he would pay me the cost including shipping. He also informed me that from this point on No security Gaurds are aloud to handle firearms. The security Gaurd
will open Lock-box , and you will put your weapon inside box.

And you will be given the key, Insuring that no-one will be handling your weapon while you are in the hospitol. so in the end,My little girl was taken cared of, and my property was also taken cared of. I'm thankful, I deceided to Un-load my sidearm. The security gaurd did'nt ask me to do so, I took that upon myself,or there really would of been a severe emergency.If the weapon would of been loaded.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for sharing. I never would have thought to go about it like you did. Also, good work keeping your cool. I can't imagine that was easy!

That is an excellent administrator, and a terrible guard. If you don't mind telling us, where is this? (There are a lot of "Mercy Hospital"s around.)

A friend had a similar incident by a Nevada Highway Patrol officer about 20 years ago. He was a Nevada resident (Reno) driving from Reno to Las Vegas. He was open-carrying his then-brand-new Sig P220. He was pulled over in a 'make an excuse' stop (old beat up Chevy Malibu, him medium complexion (American Indian/third-generation Italian mix, often mistaken for Mexican,) driving in the middle of the night.) He was calm, complied with all officer requests, kept his hands on the wheel and offered the officer the weapon. The officer took the gun, remarked on what excellent condition it was in, then dropped it onto the concrete as he was handing it back.

Keeping your cool is the *ONLY* thing to do in those circumstances. Glad you did, and glad you're getting it taken care of.

Seems like all went well after the fact. The fact that you unloaded your weapon first is absolutely what you should have done anyway.

If the gun happened to go off after you handed a loaded gun to anyone, I'm sure it would have been your fault. That is, of course, unless an LEO specifically said to hand him the loaded gun, which I then would have done. I realize the rent-a-cop wasn't an LEO but still may have been considered one in this environment.

It's nice to see that some folks keep the presence of mind in stressfull situations, ie. your daughters illness. It could have gone terribly wrong. Good job!

KK

I do not understand why people believe that it is safer to disarm a person who is lawfully in possession of a firearm than to simply allow the person to continue to carry the firearm in a responsible manner. Every time a firearm is handled unnecessarily, the chances of a "mishap" increase. No reason for this policy. Only time I believe that any lawful carrier should be "disarmed" at a hospital is when they are incapacitated or it will hamper their course of care.

Glad everything worked out in your situation.

Glad you unloaded your gun beforehand. Sucks that he dropped your gun but in glad they are handling it properly.

Most hospitols do offer lock boxes, safes etc.etc and then there are hospitols that do not require you to surrender your weapon.

All's well that ended well. I am glad you kept your cool, too. I for one, admire you for that. Now, apart from being taken cared of at the hospital, how is your little girl going now???

Not a 1911 owner...can they actually fire if dropped when loaded? Guess it depends what condition you carry in (i.e. hammer back or down). Does the safety block the firing pin or just prevent trigger travel? Just curious.

Providence ranch,

Good question it would be pretty hard to discharge a round when dropped due to safety, and the grip safety. the safety does not block firing pin just as you said it prevents trigger travel

trophyhunter:237176 said:
Providence ranch,

Good question it would be pretty hard to discharge a round when dropped due to safety, and the grip safety. the safety does not block firing pin just as you said it prevents trigger travel

Ah...so assuming we have a floating firing pin, and we are carrying in Condition 1, a drop muzzle down onto a hard surface might produce a discharge. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble with established gun rules. Its the area we live in. I locked my keys in my car and had to wait for my girlfriend to get out of class. Buff state wouldn't allow me to wait on campus because of their "no weapons policy." (I was in uniform and had my duty weapon on me.) Security said they had no safe place to store it... So I get to sit in the cold!

I understand your anger but I don't think a cocked and locked 1911 will go off from being dropped so no safety issue but its good they are paying for your grips

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back