Million Gun Owner March in 2009

Right 2 Carry

What do you guys think of getting together and doing this? Seems like others are serious.

Link Removed

There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm on AR15.com - and IMO, it's because conservatives just don't seem to be into the whole "protesting" thing. It's unlike us to go out and hold a march and possibly clash with the police, because we tend to associate that sort of behavior with left-wing hippies.

I think it's a good idea, though - but Washington, DC isn't necessarily the place to do it. Lots of people demonstrate in DC - so much so that it rarely makes big news. The thing to do would be to have it in an unusual place, or have statewide marches on one day, or something that would catch people a bit off-guard.

I like the idea, except for one thing. The media coverage would portray any participants as crazy, maniacal lunatics.

I like the idea, except for one thing. The media coverage would portray any participants as crazy, maniacal lunatics.
That's true too. It may work out better if it were planned in a way that makes it seem non-crazy. Get some support from vocal elected officials and plan a barrage of positive advertising and friendly media coverage in advance.

I think its a great idea.......
maybe going at it from a regional approach. divide the country into 3 or 4 regions and pick a major city in each. Coordinate the times so they occur together etc.
the media would no matter what portray us as maniacs, so it would be vitally important that all kept their heads.
BTW gdcleanfun.........dont go gettin a complex :haha:

Believe it of not, I would do this. I think its a great way to be heard. The only thing that troubles me, is like Tatted said...we would be branded as wackos and crazy nuts. I would do this though

I'm in. I would do this as welll. However, I think it would need to be done in a very civil fashion so that we are not branded as "wackos". Minding our manners and not breaking any laws. If one person gets arrested it would make us all look bad.

I'm in. I would do this as welll. However, I think it would need to be done in a very civil fashion so that we are not branded as "wackos". Minding our manners and not breaking any laws. If one person gets arrested it would make us all look bad.

and you know...with 1 million people. There is bound to be one moron who ruins it for everyone. However, Im still in

and you know...with 1 million people. There is bound to be one moron who ruins it for everyone. However, Im still in

I wouldnt be as worried about a member of lets say this site, or other 2ndA site, as I would someone that found out about the gathering, decided what better way to make them look bad than to "infiltrate" and start the problem.
the logistics of this would be immense, but it is doable. getting some organization like NRA to help with the legal issues, making sure the cities chosen fell in states that have a large reciprosity standing, getting with local, state and federal politicians in favor of 2ndA etc.

Which is why this massive public display should be avoided.

If you want to make a difference, get off your behind and start putting TIME into supporting pro-gun (freedom) candidates. Walk precincts. Put yourself out there to do what is necessary to get such people elected. Your money is nice, but dollars are much easier to come by than volunteer hours.

That one-to-one face time can do much more to sway voters than advertising.

(If you think a public display of force is a good idea, read up on the Black Panthers standing armed on the steps of the California State Capitol. California government has despised firearms in private hands since)

Link Removed

Problem I see is the same as the political rallies. Most people on the right have jobs and work hard to support their families, save some money and won't take the time off to do this.

I won't even start on the left.

There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm on AR15.com - and IMO, it's because conservatives just don't seem to be into the whole "protesting" thing. It's unlike us to go out and hold a march and possibly clash with the police, because we tend to associate that sort of behavior with left-wing hippies.

That, and most of us have to be at WORK while the hippies are out protesting.

Other types who protest

That, and most of us have to be at WORK while the hippies are out protesting.

Hippies, I'm glad to say, aren't the only protesters on the political scene:

FROM WIKI TIKI TAVI :pleasantry: WEBSITES

---

From Wikipedia:
The Million Man March was a political march convened by Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in Washington, DC on October 16, 1995. Minister Benjamin Chavis Muhammad was the National Director of the Million Man March. Speakers also offered a strong criticism of the conservative offensive of Republicans after the 1994 congressional elections (most notably the Contract with America), characterized as an attack on programs like welfare, Medicaid, housing programs, student aid programs and education programs. Many whites were critical or ambivalent about the march due to some of the more controversial figures associated with it (such as Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam). ...

---

and:
from another Wikipedia site, Million Mom March, gun violence awareness group:
The Million Mom March was a rally on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 14, 2000, designed to promote tighter restrictions on the private ownership of firearms. Supporters claimed that 750,000 people gathered on the National Mall; while the United States Park Police and various media outlets estimated the crowd numbered between 60,000 and 120,000. Supporters of the event also claimed 150,000 to 200,000 people across the country held sympathy marches.

---

Last but not least:
A counter-rally by the pro-gun Second Amendment Sisters, was also held on the same day.
Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. (SAS) is a non-partisan women's advocacy group in the United States dedicated to the protection of gun rights, specifically for the purpose of self defense. It is an all-volunteer 501(c)(4) non-profit organization based in Texas, with chapters nationwide.

SAS was founded in January of 2000 by five ordinary women from around the country, in response to the media portrayal that the Million Mom March spoke for all women with regard to firearms rights. Using the internet, these women and a handful of other dedicated volunteers staged a successful counter-rally in Washington, DC on Mother's Day, May 13, 2000. In the months preceding these events, the media regularly called upon SAS to represent the equal counterpoint to the Million Mom March in print, radio and television, including a two hour televised Good Morning, America townhall meeting from the White House on the Saturday before.

SAS interprets the Second Amendment as recognizing the pre-existing natural right of individuals to bear arms as tools of self defense, and promotes gun safety and marksmanship among their members. They focus on community outreach, women's firearm shoots, women's personal safety training, and political advocacy. Citing FBI crime statistics, they assert firearms are the only reasonable means of self-protection, especially for women, people of short stature, people with disabilities, and the elderly.

Their website states

Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. is a women's advocacy group dedicated to preserving the basic right to self-defense, as recognized by the Second Amendment.

Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. has a featured column in Gun Week and is discussed on the Women and Guns forum. The group's slogan is "Self defense is a basic human right."...

END QUOTE.

---

Maybe it IS time that we think about doing the same thing. Our position on our 2A rights is SO OFTEN maligned. I feel that there is a GREAT need to keep our position on the political-scene forefront. We, as a group and even as individuals, over and above the NRA or other PACs (Political Action Committees) need to be heard, constantly! CONSTANTLY!:girl_wink:

Stepping down off my soapbox now.:girl_wink:

Here's your link. I already registered. It's so new that I was only the 238th member. A lot of the sites are talking about it, it's not just a whim. And they tentatively are talking about doing it in Spring 2010. According to some sites, apparently Ted Nugent is VERY interested in this. We have to get everyone on board. NRA, GOA, JFPO, etc.

I'm out of work so I can go. and with the current economic forecast, a whole lot more of us will be out of work by then.

Link Removed

Spread the word. Sure, the Lib's are gonna get word of this. Let them. It'll scare the crap out of 'em.

Here's your link. I already registered. It's so new that I was only the 238th member. A lot of the sites are talking about it, it's not just a whim. And they tentatively are talking about doing it in Spring 2010. According to some sites, apparently Ted Nugent is VERY interested in this. We have to get everyone on board. NRA, GOA, JFPO, etc.

I'm out of work so I can go. and with the current economic forecast, a whole lot more of us will be out of work by then.

Link Removed

Spread the word. Sure, the Lib's are gonna get word of this. Let them. It'll scare the crap out of 'em.

That....is....AWESOME!!! Man I never thought this would take off. It will be interesting to see if this actually takes place. I ask this question, do you think this might hurt us? I know we have talked about it before in this thread about this potentially hurting us because we could be branded as "wackos" or something of the sort. I however, really am for this. What do the rest of you think about it?

You know, you guys up here really surprise me! You're all so "up in arms," literally, about the threat to our rights. How the government will ony get our guns "from our cold dead hands," how we'll show them if they try to take away our guns.

And in the next breath, you're worried about being "branded as whackos," looking bad in the press, worrying about what would happen if ONE person does something crazy. That only "hippies" have the time to protest while the rest of us have to work.

Well, because the rest of the whackos and hippies get all the press, we're losing our freedoms. Oh, we can't lower ourselves to their level, can we? We can't demonstrate or we'll be seen as the bad guys. Guess what? We already are! While we sit on our asses, the Brady Bunch and a Million Moms convince the country that WE'RE the gun-crazy whackos, that we don't deserve to have rights.

You all have excuses why you can't, or won't, stand up and have yourselves counted as defenders, true defenders, of our Constitution. "I have a real job," or "I have other things to do," or "I'm not some hippie whacko who participates in protests." Or that conservatives don't act like that.

Well, we had better start "acting like that," or we're going to be SOL when the SHTF. If you're not brave enough to participate in a march, what are you gonna do when the feds show up at your house and tell you they're taking your guns? Gonna start shooting? I doubt it. Rebellion only worls when the people act in unity.

For those of you who have jobs, there is this little thing called "vacation time." And not much of it, either, since the march this year in on a week-end, so you'd have to take a few days. And for the march next year, you have a long time to plan a few days off. Or isn't this issue important enough to use that time?

Look, it's time to put up or shut up. If all you want to do is log on up here and talk about the latest in guns and ammo, and the best holster, then let's lose the rhetoric about our 2nd Amendment rights and liberals and the Brady Bunch and HR45. But this Web site is devoted to the RIGHT to own and carry guns, and there is a real danger in those rights being taken away from us. When are you guys gonna get pissed off enough to do something other than sling a lot of words around on a Web site?

There are now TWO marches being planned, one for the entire Constitution on May 30th of this year (for those of you/us who feel like waiting for an entire year might be too late), and the one being talked about in this thread, scheduled for Spring 2010. Both marches will be attended by others like us, and there is plenty of time to plan. Plans are being made for affordable transportation, affordable lodging, and both will only require a few days of your time. I hate Washington D.C., and I hate flying, but I'm going to make sure I attend both of these marches. Getting together with other like minds on a bus or a van, sharing a hotel room or even camping out, and letting our country, and our politicians, know that the hippies and kooks and liberals are not the only ones who have a voice in this matter, not the only ones who don't like what is happening in this country. Minority groups now hold this country by its throat because the majority is too silent, too busy, or just too pathetic to fight back.

Make the time! Get active in protecting our Constitution and our Bill of Rights (and not just the 2nd Amendment). Show this country that we still count, and we're not going to be walked all over anymore. Stop being a week-end patriot, up in arms behind your keyboard, but silent in public. OH, and if you truly can't make the time to march, get involved in providing support for the rest of us. Contribute your time, your energy and your money so that the rest of us might be able to represent YOU in this matter.

Either that, or stop whining about your rights and how others are trying to take them away. While you are being too busy to fight for your rights, others are busy taking them away from you. And believe me, they'll make the time to do it.

Baring ill health or something I'm in for any gathering that shows the idiot politicians that we believe 'the Constitution says what it means and means what it says.'

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back