Military question

Confused

I am in the military and going to get out in a little over a year. I am from PA and want to get my in-state LTCF. While I was in the military my PA drivers license expired and I had to get a Texas license. PA is my home of record but the PA driver's license is required to get the LTCF. What would I have to do to get my LTCF?

Pennsylvania firearm owners association

I am in the military and going to get out in a little over a year. I am from PA and want to get my in-state LTCF. While I was in the military my PA drivers license expired and I had to get a Texas license. PA is my home of record but the PA driver's license is required to get the LTCF. What would I have to do to get my LTCF?

OBTAINING A PENNSYLVANIA LTCF
The process for obtaining an LTCF in Pennsylvania is excellent due to the fact that the process is very thorough in making sure that permits are not granted to people that may be irresponsible or pose a danger to others (minors, convicted felons, domestic abusers, etc.) while making it very simple for trustworthy, law-abiding people to obtain one quickly and cheaply.

Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary.

The actual application process itself is very simple and consists of acquiring an application, and a passport-sized photo, filling it out, paying the fee (which can vary from county to county) and submitting it. In some counties (such as Philadelphia) the application must be submitted in person and they may do a quick and basic interview. Once the application is received the entity responsible for handling it will do a background check on you and generally verify who you are. They may contact the references you have provided on the application although many times it will not be necessary. Pennsylvania is a "shall-issue" state in regards to LTCF's, meaning the entity processing your application is required to approve it unless they can prove you are disqualified based on the law. This is very important to prevent localities from simply denying people based on political, or prejudicial biases. Additionally by state law the application must be approved or denied in 45 days (although some offices will use "business days"). Again, this is done to prevent localities from claiming they issue permits, but never actually processing them for political or prejudicial reasons.

Carrying a Concealed Firearm/Gun in Pennsylvania

if you need to have a PA DL to qualify then that is what you need to do. You can also check and see if they recognize TX CCW, you can start with a TX permit then later on apply for a PA one.

I know for WI, I had to have a WI DL/Mailing address. they wouldn't allow me to use my Hawaii address that I'm currently living at. I'm like you, on active duty and hold a WI CCW.

I would rather not get a TX concealed license because of the cost. I think I'll just get my PA driverse license when I'm back in town and go from there. I would imagine I can still use my parents adress for mail since it is still my home of record.

You can get a Utah non-resident Permit which is honored in 29 states and PA is one of them. The state of Utah has reciprocal agreements with a number of other states, and their permit is recognized by many more states in the US affording you the opportunity to carry your firearms in as many as 29 different states WITH A SINGLE CARRY PERMIT.

The following states currently accept the Utah non-resident permit;

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington State, West Virginia, Wyoming

Some states like New Hampshire, Florida and Colorado have reciprocity with Utah but it is limited to resident permits only. This information changes occasionally so you need to stay up to date with changes.

When I was in the military my drivers licence was good until I was discharged. Possibly all states are not the same, but I know the majority are.

According to the Sheriff's website in my county you need two forms of ID, a primary and a secondary. The primary states it needs to be a PA issued photo ID, either a state ID or a state driver's license. The second form is much less stringent and says it can be a copy of either your: Voters Registration, Vehicle Registration, Current W-2 Form, PA Hunting/Fishing License OR Professional License issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Without either one of the primary forms of ID, my recommendation would be to wait when you come back to PA since it is a quick turn-around time to get your LTCF.

However, if you are adamant about starting the process before you arrive back, you may want to contact your Sheriff's department from the county you lived in and see if a copy of your military ID is welcomed by them. Since you may apply electronically, you could submit copies of them and when you arrive back, stop by the Sheriff's office, get your picture taken and electronically sign for the LTCF. You still have to be present at the Sheriff's office to finalize the process.

I would rather not get a TX concealed license because of the cost. I think I'll just get my PA driverse license when I'm back in town and go from there. I would imagine I can still use my parents adress for mail since it is still my home of record.

Texas Link Removed the normal concealed handgun license fees for servicemembers on active duty or veterans who have been honorable discharged within the last year. While you may have to pay to take a class, the state will not charge you any fees for the CHL and your renewals will be free while you'r eon active duty and only $35 once you've beeen discharged for more than one year.

Pennsylvania Drivers in the Military - DOT Guide at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Pennsylvania recognizes that renewing a driver's license is difficult for active military members, especially for those stationed abroad. To make things easier for our men and women in uniform, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) waives all mandatory renewals during your active duty. This special license exemption also applies to all immediate family members living in the same household.
Special military licenses are not issued. So If you decide to take advantage of exempt license status, you must carry documents that prove you're still an active member of the armed forces.
Upon exiting the military, Pennsylvania will allow you a 45-day window to renew your driver's license before the expiration kicks in.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back