Military Clause regarding Home of Record/Residence

Im currently in Afghanistan so getting in contact with a busy police station on the phone isnt an easy task. My question is I possess a Resident Permit from my home state of Utah. I am stationed in Ft Drum NY. According to reciprocity maps, if I "reside" in Utah, with a Ut Resident permit, then NY does NOT honor my permit. However, If I select NY as my resident state, and Ut as my permit state, NY accepts it...So when I return, am I authorized to carry in NY(Obviously aside from NYC) on a Ut Resident Permit?

Im Sorry, But the answer to your question is No. The only way would be to posses New York State Permit. Unless, you are on Official Duty from the Military.NYS is an May Issue State. And has very Strict Gun Laws

Most times when being stationed in a state on orders that state will grant resident status. Being that you are stationed in NY I wouldn't count on much. I'd find a lawyer to ask rather than the Police as a lawyer will be more aware of the law and interpretation.

YMOS,
Tony

Im currently in Afghanistan so getting in contact with a busy police station on the phone isnt an easy task. My question is I possess a Resident Permit from my home state of Utah. I am stationed in Ft Drum NY. According to reciprocity maps, if I "reside" in Utah, with a Ut Resident permit, then NY does NOT honor my permit. However, If I select NY as my resident state, and Ut as my permit state, NY accepts it...So when I return, am I authorized to carry in NY(Obviously aside from NYC) on a Ut Resident Permit?

If I use the map on this site, click on NY. It turns green and Utah is blue. That means Utah will honor a NY permit. Not the reverse. If I click on Utah, either resident or non resident, NY is red meaning NY does not honor either permit. Your orders should satisfy residency in NY and you should be able to apply for a NY permit. Prepare yourself for a long wait and/or a denial. Good luck to you and thanks for your service, from an Ret. USAF Msgt.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back