Mil-surp 7.62x51 = safe to shoot?

BUmmedic

I recently bought some mil-surp 7.62x51, NATO headstamped, with FC 60 and 61. The majority of the rounds are from '60, and they all look good and pretty much GTG (as far as I can tell). There was a small percentage of '61 rounds, and these looked noticeably different from the '60's, and there were also some with what I think is mild corrosion. I've included a couple pics that are representative of what I'm dealing with. I got some 0000 steel wool and did quickly "polish" some of these. What are the thoughts and recommendations of the more-experienced guys here? I've never dealt with mil-surp, and I'm new to .308/7.62x51 also. Thanks in advance.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Choot em. I have shot much worse that were issue. We used ammo in 1968-69 that was made by Lake City in 1953 or before. Some of it looked much worse. M1 Carbine ammo that is, we were the only post in CONUS to use the carbine (or so we were told). We used them in the guard towers at the USDB, Ft. Leavenworth,KS. And shot many many rounds on the rifle range, we had it by the truck load and were allowed to shoot as much as we wanted. I never had a single problem and don't know of anyone who did. I also had a personal M1 carbine and fired thousands of these rounds in it with no trouble.

Thanks for the info and opinion... just waiting for a day that isn't freeze-your-cojones-off-cold so i can spend some time at the range.

Choot em. I have shot much worse that were issue. We used ammo in 1968-69 that was made by Lake City in 1953 or before. Some of it looked much worse. M1 Carbine ammo that is, we were the only post in CONUS to use the carbine (or so we were told). We used them in the guard towers at the USDB, Ft. Leavenworth,KS. And shot many many rounds on the rifle range, we had it by the truck load and were allowed to shoot as much as we wanted. I never had a single problem and don't know of anyone who did. I also had a personal M1 carbine and fired thousands of these rounds in it with no trouble.

How accurate was that carbine?

Actually, it wasn't too bad. Not a tack driver but accurate enough that I qualified expert with it. We fired at small scale targets as the post only had a 25 meter (1000) inch range. I wouldn't call any M1 Carbine super accurate. My personal one was a Universal made in Florida from some surplus parts and I think it was a tad better than the ones from the arms room. Lots of them were made in the forties and were in various states of repair. All of them were 100 percent reliable as I don't remember anyone in our guard company ever having a failure on the range.
I wish I still had that rifle, I sold it about 20 years ago and sure miss shooting that thing.

I have always wanted one since Kelly's Heroes came out on VHS which is almost justification enough. I have never shot one but they look like they would fun on the range. My dad had one many many moons ago and it doesn't help that I see one on the Walking Dead from time to time because it makes me want one even more. I guess my Mosin will have to do me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back