Might be a dumb question

marionandjohn

I have been reading and reading lots of laws for firearms. Not only the carry of but what you can and cant own yadda yadda yadda. I have noticed at different times that I will be reading through a law and remember that a new law pertaining to the same subject has been recently passed. How or where do I look at to read the most current laws and know that I am reading the most current laws for states or federal frearm laws? is there a secret website or place ie library that would carry the most recent and can be legally said to be the most recent as of such and such date? just a question I came up with while reading all these laws. Thanks for all yalls help.

Either try NRA or NRA-ILA :: or the department of justice for the particular state you are concerned about. Either of these should have what you are looking for. In the case of the NRA-ILA website just click on the gun laws tab. Hope you find what you are looking for. :biggrin:

The various government agencies usually have all the laws on their websites. You'd have to wade through lots of laws unrelated to firearms and you'd have to go to different websites for federal, state, county, & city laws, which is why people aggregate them. Unfortunately, since they usually aren't paid, the aggregation gets stale. Handgunlaw.us tends to be one of the better aggregators.

Usually best place for updated State laws is the State Attorney General web sit. Many local governments have their ordinances online, but may be slower uploading them because of less technical savy or their webmaster is part-time. Places like "Lawwriter" can be slower because the have to keep up with laws in 50 States. Books in the local library are the worst place, being outdated and unable to compete with the Web.

I have been reading and reading lots of laws for firearms. Not only the carry of but what you can and cant own yadda yadda yadda. I have noticed at different times that I will be reading through a law and remember that a new law pertaining to the same subject has been recently passed. How or where do I look at to read the most current laws and know that I am reading the most current laws for states or federal frearm laws? is there a secret website or place ie library that would carry the most recent and can be legally said to be the most recent as of such and such date? just a question I came up with while reading all these laws. Thanks for all yalls help.

There is no such thing as a dumb question It's good err on the side of caution and learn as much as you can about a law. If you're not sure, keep digging.

I like to check the state website for laws. They're usually current. The NRA is an excellent source of information too.

Be safe!

Hey MarionandJohn: I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a dumb question. If you don't ask you will never find out.There are dumb answers and some very rude people but this forum is top notch when it comes to the answers you get and the really helpful posters. In my case I took the CCWP course from deputy sheriff here in SC and he constantly updates his "graduates" on any changes to the SC law. You may ask your instructor if such information can be passed on to you as he becomes aware of changes in your state.

Thanks for all the help, I have been able to find the TN laws and the updates readily available on the TN website great suggestions! They were links to a website I have been reading on just they included a list and when the laws took effect so I didnt have to try and find the laws and then guess if it was current. As far as my instructor I have yet to take a class for a permit as its not required here in GA, however I am looking into a TN class in Dec and will be sure to ask the instructor the question. Again thanks for the help and i have noticed the top notch responses here and that is the main reason I keep coming back.

The best place for a quick review of carry laws is Link Removed This is a good starting point to answer your questions.

Hey Glock Fan: I always thought there really is no such thing as a dumb question--If you don't ask you never find out and never get an answer. I used this principle in school and was always surprised how many people would tell me that they just did not have the "guts" to ask the same question and were glad I did. Having said that, your question as to "why BO is such a great president" is, in my opinion, a really dumb question that does not deserve an answer--hope this does not insult you too much but putting BO's name and "great" together in the same question or sentence is insulting to me. I'm assuming you were being a tad sarcastic--thus MY honest answer.

I am sorry for all the replies about "dumb question", I did not think it was a dumb question I just did not have a better title and thought that would perk enough intrest to get some kind of responses but on that note apparently BO is such a "good" president because he was the lesser of 2 evils running IMO. I do support him for the fact that he is my CinC how ever there are ALOT of his poilicies i disagree with and will be voicing my opinion on that in Nov 2012. Until then I can only pray that nothing that effects my rights or my freedom change before then. Just typing my 2cents and not trying to start an argument on the "dumb question" at hand.:to_pick_ones_nose:

Hey Glock Fan: I always thought there really is no such thing as a dumb question--If you don't ask you never find out and never get an answer. I used this principle in school and was always surprised how many people would tell me that they just did not have the "guts" to ask the same question and were glad I did. Having said that, your question as to "why BO is such a great president" is, in my opinion, a really dumb question that does not deserve an answer--hope this does not insult you too much but putting BO's name and "great" together in the same question or sentence is insulting to me. I'm assuming you were being a tad sarcastic--thus MY honest answer.

There are a lot of really "dumb questions" that could be asked. My whole point is that if the question is so "dumb", then don't bother asking it. Most of us have enough sense to be able to figure out which questions we should be asking. If you don't know the answer to a question and would like to know the answer, by all means ask away. Eventually you should find your answer somewhere.

There are other questions where if you put in a little thought, could have been answered yourself.

I'm glad you figured out that my question was a "sarcastic" one posed for the purpose of demonstrating that there is such thing as a "dumb" question.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back