Michigan SBR vs. NFA question

Rickg5106

Hello All,
In my reading, I think I have come to these conclusions in the differences between the NFA and Michigan SBR requirments. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Michigan says:
If the OAL is greater than 26" AND the barrel length is greater than 18", it's a rifle. No registration, no purchase permit required.
The OAL must be greater than 26". If that measurement can not be met, then the barrel must be greater than 16" in length. If it's not a rifle BUT meets the previously stated measurements, it's an SBR and needs a tax stamp.
If it is less than 26" OAL AND less that 16" barrel length, it"s a pistol. Needs to be registered as such AND needs a tax stamp?

NFA says:
OAL must be greater than 26" OR barrel length must be greater than 16". If it doesn't meet any of these criteria, it needs a tax stamp regardless of how the state classifies it.

Is this correct?
Michigan = This, then that. if it's not a rifle, it's an SBR, If it's not an SBR, it's a pistol.
NFA = This OR that. if neither, pay the money, get a stamp.

I'm not a lawyer and this sh!t gives me a headache.

A SBR under FEDERAL law as the NFA is federal is a stocked firearm with a barrel less then 16" or a OAL less then 26. If it meets either of those then you need a tax stamp. The less the 18" barrel on a rifle thing is state and zero to do with NFA.

Michigan Code 750.222:

(k) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

18 U.S. Code § 921:

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Both say less than 16-inch barrel or less than 26-inch overall length. I am not a lawyer.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back