Michigan pushes back against proposed federal registration

ricbak

State Rep. Paul Opsommer (R-93) announced today a new bi-partisan package of resolutions that will assert Michigan's right to bear arms under its Constitution, the supremacy of the Second Amendment over the Commerce Clause, and the will of the Michigan legislature to not recognize or enforce unconstitutional firearm restrictions placed upon its citizens.

Opsommer's resolution, HCR 009, speaks directly to the many new federal firearm laws that are being introduced. "Even though I am only a State legislator, some of these federal proposals are so egregious that you really don't have a choice but to get involved," said Opsommer. "They would trample over our own Constitution and firearm laws, and I don't think we can sit idly by to just wait and see if and when these bills become law".

Opsommer said he will also be reintroducing his bill HB 6518 (2008) and expanding it so that it also addresses the new agenda Illinois Congressman Bobby Rush has added to his anti-firearm's wish list. The bill was introduced last year in reaction to coercive attempts by Mayor Bloomberg to create new video surveillance databases of gun purchases with Wal-Mart.

"Congressman Rush's legislation would also call for other biometric schemes that would include the fingerprinting of law abiding citizens and a new Attorney General approved picture ID card," said Opsommer. "We were able to halt provisions last year that could have required a new and vague national ID card in order to buy firearms, and we will do so again whether it is to register firearms, ammunition, or handloading equipment."

Last edited by a moderator:
"...and the will of the Michigan legislature to not recognize or enforce unconstitutional firearm restrictions placed upon its citizens."

I would dare say that requiring its citizens to obtain CCWs is unconstitutional.

"...and the will of the Michigan legislature to not recognize or enforce unconstitutional firearm restrictions placed upon its citizens."

I would dare say that requiring its citizens to obtain CCWs is unconstitutional.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I commend any Rep who would stand up and tell the Feds to go pound sand. However, if I were in that position, I would go one step further and say "not only are we not conforming to your new unconstitutional propositions, here is a list of some CURRENT unconstitutional laws that I propose we repeal: CCW requirements, gun free zones, purchase permits, vehicle carry laws,(and so on). We need politicians who will not only oppose further regulation, but are willing to fight HARD to give us back the freedom we have already lost.

You know there is no wording about mandatory CCW in the bills.... so "requirement" is a mute point, however if you wish to enjoy the ability to CCW then you must obtain one, which I have no issues with.

For the rest of you there is always OC.....

I think you might be misunderstanding me. My point is that Opsommer is standing up against any further infringment of our rights, which is commendable. But what I would really like to see is a Rep who would not just settle at that, but would try to get us back to what the Founding Fathers believed was our God given freedom.

A crucial part of that freedom was the right to keep and bear arms. It wasn't the "permitted priviledge to conceal a firearm if you pay us $XXX and pass a BG check". Everyone had the right to arm themselves, pretty much any way they saw fit; concealed, open, handgun, rifle, sword, knife, club, whatever.

Somewhere along the line, it became illegal to conceal a handgun, among other things. If that isn't an infringment, then what is? But then, little by little, states started passing CCW permit laws and, no doubt, touted this as an acceptable comprimise. We the people figured it was better than nothing and accepted it.

This is why I consider CCW permits unconstitutional.

Last edited:
I would still love to see them do away with registering pistols. I hate the thought of them having a shopping list to check off.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back