Michigan could save millions with early release

ricbak

The Wiphe told me to get away from the computer this afternoon because of the 4 letter expletives I have been mumbling....
BG's are in prison, not at the country club. Save money by removing the perks!

Link Removed

January 22, 2009
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Study: Michigan could save millions with early release[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Serif]Yearlong analysis cites high costs, harsh punishments[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]By Dawson Bell[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Free Press Lansing Bureau[/FONT]
LANSING – Michigan could save $262 million in prison costs by 2015 by bringing parole policies in line with other states – and releasing thousands of prisoners earlier – according to a yearlong analysis of crime and punishment conducted by national policy center.

The analysis by the Justice Center at the Council of State Governments found that Michigan suffers from high rates of violent crime, has fewer police officers and lower conviction rates than other states, but tends to imprison convicted felons longer.

The center is scheduled to discuss its findings with lawmakers, administration officials and local crime fighters today at the Capitol. Included in the group’s potential remedies are beefed-up law enforcement and crime lab capabilities, and increased training and job placement for offenders and disconnected young people. Those initiatives would presumably be paid for with savings in the prison system, especially the accelerated parole of convicted criminals.

Directing the Parole Board to release inmates before they serve more than 120% of their minimum sentences could reduce the overall prison population by more than 4,300 by 2015, the report states.

Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan said the Justice Center has been working with legislative leaders and the administration on the analysis, and that none of the findings comes as a major surprise. None of the group’s specific policy recommendations has been endorsed at this point, Marlan said, but the department has taken some preliminary action to accelerate parole in the last six months.

Michigan locks up a higher percentage of its population than almost any state in the country, while still suffering above-average violent crime rates. At the same time, the cost of incarceration here is much higher than the national average.
Prison spending has been cited as the source of much of the state’s budget woes, and is expected to be a key issue in 2009-10 budget talks slated to get under way in a few weeks.

Michigan is hurting

Still having loved ones and family in Michigan, and being a former LEO in Michigan, it's sad to see the declension the state is suffering over the past 9 years since I left for 'greener pastures.'

It would seem the economic woes that are crippling much of America are devastating Michigan, simply due to the giant automakers' troubles. It all rolls down hill from there.

Of course, when I lived there we had a conservative Republican governor and MI was a "sportsman's paradise." Times have changed - and how. I think Michigan's version of Hillary is driving that state through the floor, but that's just my opinion.

In regard to the prison issue, I've never been able to forget one "small statistic" from my police academy. At the time (1995) the statistic was dated (from 1986), so it would lead one to presume the math is NOT getting better. In 1986 in Michigan, a total of 1,400 people were murdered state-wide by felons who had been released from prison. Recidivism is real. Rehabilitation is debatable.

The prison system may indeed be a strain on an already strained state budget, but the "system" should be held liable, accountable and responsible for trading the welfare of their populace for potential fiscal relief. In my opinion, even the consideration of endangering the public is completely unacceptable. Address the problem, don't just pass it on to the public who may or may not even be armed to defend themselves.

Last edited:
death penitaly

we in Mich need the death penitaly , this would unload most jails and free up lots of money.
bad guys and lawers don't like me idea.:triniti:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back