Miami-Dade County Commission passes two items for tighter gun control

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
On February 17, 2009, the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners passed two resolutions sponsored by Commissioner Barbara J. Jordan regarding stricter gun control. For the third year, the commissioner authored legislation urging the U.S. Congress and Florida Legislature to reinstate the Federal Assault Weapons Act.

Initially passed in 1994, the act prohibited the manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons, including UZIs, AK-47s, and other military-style firearms. The bill expired after ten years and was never reinstated.

Additionally, the commissioner passed another related item, urging both Congress and the State Legislature to pass legislation requiring all gun sales, regardless of venue or type, to be registered with law enforcement within 14 days of purchase, in addition to any other existing restrictive requirements. Firearm owners would also be required to report lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement, and all registrations and reports of missing firearms would be tracked in a database created and available solely to law enforcement.

While Commissioner Jordan has long been a strong proponent of stricter gun control and anti-violence campaigns, the passing of these resolutions was sparked by the deaths of two teenage boys who were killed in Liberty City only weeks ago. On January 23, Brandon Mills, 16, and Derrick Gloster, 18, were gunned down when an unknown assailant fired a barrage of bullets into a crowd of about 50 people at the corner of NW 71st Street and 15th Avenue. Seven other bystanders were wounded in the attack. Local law enforcement officials claim the gunman used an assault weapon. According to the Miami-Dade Police Department, assault weapons were responsible in the deaths of 15 people in Miami-Dade in 2008, and 16 deaths the year prior.

“What happened in Liberty City is just another tragic example of the sheer bloodshed these weapons create,” said Commissioner Jordan. “Semiautomatic assault weapons are designed for military purposes and have no legitimate application for hunting or civilian use. Our police officers and residents don’t stand a chance if we allow criminals to get their hands on such powerful firearms.”

Last edited by a moderator:
You Just Cain't fix...

Maybe we should start a 1/2 hour reality show where we award a plaque for Cain't Fix Stupid. Ms Jordan would certainly qualify.

My email to my commissioner

Dear Commissioner

I understand that the commission has, or soon will, pass a motion urging Congress to pass an "assault weapon" ban. I also understand that this is the typical "knee-jerk" politician reaction to some "gang-bangers" opening fire with some unidentified weapon in Liberty City.

First, it might make sense for you people to try to determine and understand what a so-called "assault weapon' is before you urge the banning of them. But that would make too much sense and prevent the display of faux outrage so popular among politicians.

Second, I wish you would explain to me, a law abiding citizen, how removing or limiting my Constitutional rights helps to solve a problem with people who make a living violating every law known to man. Do you honestly believe that taking away my rights will stop the gang-bangers from getting and using weapons? Do you actually believe that they get their weapons through the same legitimate sources I do and that preventing me from having a semi-automatic rifle will stop them from getting and using whatever they want?

The fact that law enforcement is unable to control the streets of Liberty City is no excuse for trying to limit my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

More kneejerk political stupidity

"Our police officers and residents don’t stand a chance if we allow criminals to get their hands on such powerful firearms.”

I agree,they should try harder to keep them from criminals- so whats that got to with with taking them away from us honest citizens?

"Our police officers and residents don’t stand a chance if we allow criminals to get their hands on such powerful firearms.”

I agree,they should try harder to keep them from criminals- so whats that got to with with taking them away from us honest citizens?

Miami police already have the option of getting assault rifles (namely M4 carbines).

link

Who really is outgunning who?

"These people" have absolutly no clue whatsoever what They are talking about, no sense at all. I bet Her butthole would surley pucker up when the SHTF and She wished She had an assult weapon!

Last edited:
"These people" have absolutly no clue whatsoever what They are talking about, no sense at all. I bet Her butthole would surely pucker up when the SHTF and She wished She had an assult weapon!

"These people" have absolutly no clue whatsoever what They are talking about, no sense at all. I bet Her butthole would surely pucker up when the SHTF and She wished She had an assult weapon!

Sambo I don't want to hear about anyone's butthole puckering up, ever. Please. lol

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back