Methadone Treatment

perhaps rehab programs should program folks to believe they can kick their habits once and for all rather than plant the seed they they will 'always be addicts' perhaps they really don't want them to quit for good as their business depends on junkies to relapse and go back into 'treatment'
i have heard many stories of addicts being cured with ibogaine or ayahuasca in a matter of one or few sessions. i find it interesting the united states prohibits this kind of treatment which seems to get really good results by way of getting junkies off junk, alcoholics off booze, cig smokers off smoking and so on and so forth as well as cure once and for all many other mental and physical ailments...seems big pharma makes too much money not curing folks so they not interested in real cures and would rather just prescribe bandages/drugs to cover the symptoms for life

For rehab purposes I agree once a addict always a addict. However as I said once your on methadone your not a addict anymore as it is a prescription. The people I have delt with all agree on this. Once your in treatment your not addicted to a drug UNLESS you start taking no prescribed drugs again. The question on the 4473 is ARE you not where you. The medications prescribed to you by a doctor are privileged and not applicable to the 4473. As it is ILLEGAL for a doctor to prescribe a drug the patient is addicted to. Also Methadone has almost ZERO "intoxicating" effects for the majority of users.

This is the complete opposite of what any addiction counselor will teach.

1. Once an addict, always an addict. That is how it's taught in rehab.

2. There are exeptions under federal law whereby the government can sidestep HIPAA privacy and obtain medical information. Examples of this are when guns and drugs mix or the VA will reporting a suicidal veteran who owns guns.

3. It is not illegal for a doctor to prescribe a drug that someone has been addicted to in the past. Someone injured in an auto accident will not be denied pain medications due to a past addiction. The doctor must act in the interest of the patient and medical necessity. Each state is different but similar in their laws.

perhaps that is precisely why most going to those programs become dependent on the programs for life rather than learn to quit without being lifetime program members? perhaps is reason many fall of their sober wagons as well?
many folks go to vancouver or south america to cure themselves of addictions with a much much higher rate of success than enrolling in the drug rehab programs in the usa......'MAPS' have conducted many experiments with addicts with great success rates getting folks of junk and other addictive drugs using majick mushrooms ayahuasca and ibogaine.... unlike many who join aa or na programs for years only to continue falling back off and on the wagon whereas traditional cures are documented to have much higher success rates
at any rate again best wishes to all who have fallen to unhealthy addictions

From the CDC...

Methadone: Problems

Although it is less addictive than heroin or morphine, methadone is still highly addictive. It doesn’t produce the quality ‘high’ that other narcotics do, but it has to be tightly regulated so it doesn’t become a problem with naïve users. Methadone can serve as a ‘gateway’ drug for the narcotic class. It is also dangerous in combination with many other drugs that act on the central nervous system, especially alcohol or barbiturates.

Many addicts do not like methadone and will return to heroin when they are able to procure a new supply. Methadone may be a way to extend an addiction rather than forcing an addict to undergo withdrawal. This is why dispensing of methadone to narcotic dependent patients has to occur along with an approved treatment program. Typically, patients will be tested to make sure they aren’t using heroin ‘on the side’.

The side effects of methadone are problematic. Patients may be refused employment because a job requires mental alertness or the operation of heavy machinery. There are also the social consequences of methadone use – while heroin use may be concealed, if an insurance company is paying for methadone treatment, it is quite likely an employer or others will find out.

From the CDC... Methadone: Problems Although it is less addictive than heroin or morphine, methadone is still highly addictive. It doesn’t produce the quality ‘high’ that other narcotics do, but it has to be tightly regulated so it doesn’t become a problem with naïve users. Methadone can serve as a ‘gateway’ drug for the narcotic class. It is also dangerous in combination with many other drugs that act on the central nervous system, especially alcohol or barbiturates. Many addicts do not like methadone and will return to heroin when they are able to procure a new supply. Methadone may be a way to extend an addiction rather than forcing an addict to undergo withdrawal. This is why dispensing of methadone to narcotic dependent patients has to occur along with an approved treatment program. Typically, patients will be tested to make sure they aren’t using heroin ‘on the side’. The side effects of methadone are problematic. Patients may be refused employment because a job requires mental alertness or the operation of heavy machinery. There are also the social consequences of methadone use – while heroin use may be concealed, if an insurance company is paying for methadone treatment, it is quite likely an employer or others will find out.
Methadone that is used for weening folks off heroin is the most regulated drug in the USA. However when used for pain it is the same as every other opiate. Methadone does not give the high and in the majority of folks it gives NO side effects at all. This is why so many people with chronic pain use it. The treatment folks get less and less a dosage over time. The main reason for the use of the drug is to avoid withdraw. Withdraw for a long term heroin addict can be very bad.

To the issue of pain management, I shall not throw rocks at anyone who is in sever and constant pain. Having a titanium insert in my lumbar region, stenosis and various other old age issues I have dealt with pain via the V.A. pain clinic. The two anti-inflammatory drugs that keep me out of a wheel chair, gabapentin and ibuprofen in prescription strength does the job for me. Someone with severe pain is certainly not going to forgo the relief offered. That is not a problem and I am not my brother’s keeper. This issue is between this person, his doctor and his conscience, at this time. However I do ask the question of why anyone would come to this forum and seek advice only an attorney is able to give concerning federal drug and gun laws. Think?

This thread is full of bull ****. All of you should stop while your ahead. My brother was a heroin addict annd passed away 3 weeks ago. They are people. They arent all scumbags. .

really?

And you think he is a troll? First of all methadone is a proven treatment for opoid addiction as well as pain managment. Some people remain on maintenance their entire lives becuase of how strong an opiate addiction is. The fact that you are belittling the man for being in treatment after a year shows you know very little about the issue and should probably just keep your mouth shut.

As for carrying a weapon, methadone does not have adverse affects beyond drowsiness if properly taken and that only last for a short period of time. He can definately get a permit because it is a legally prescribed drug.

You probably shouldn't be such an ass, people like you give gun owners a bad name.

I would love for you to say some crap like that to my green beret cousin who served in Irag and Afghanistan. He became addicted to opiates after being prescribed oxycontin for pain because of his missing leg. He is now on methadone maintenance and carries every single day.

Stop being such a douche.

Unlawful is the keyword

Question 11 – E on the current ATF Form 4473 is as follows:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

ATF Form 4473

Since your answer would appear to be yes I'm going to guess that there will be some negative effects WRT getting a CHP

His answer would not appear to be yes considering he is under the treatment of a doctor and a lawfully prescribed drug.

michael3ov, welcome to this forum. May I suggest to look at more recent discussions? You are commenting to a post that is 2 years old. The OP is from March 11, 2012. Once would assume that this problem has been solved.

Heroin addict wants a gun? How about a jail cell instead. What kind of person even asks such nonsense?

What the OP originally asked.... is below. I do not see that he stated he is was street junkie, a needle using crack addict or worse. Could be an ex-marine, a cop, a doctor or even my neighbor for all I know. The fact is, he became addicted to an opiate. It happens. Kudos for trying to get off the opiates in a sane way. Until one understands the condition, how can one comment in vile ways? Why do so many here automatcally assume addictions are only affecting the poor, the weak or the criminal element?

Hey everyone,
I just had a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with, I just can seem to get a clear answer on this.
I have absolutely NO criminal record, clean as a whistle in that department, but a little over a year ago I voluntarily (NOT court ordered) joined a Methadone Treatment Program that im still apart of today.
I was just wondering if being on the Methadone Program would have any negative effects regarding my CCW being approved.

Thanks!
-Brian

What the OP originally asked.... is below. I do not see that he stated he is was street junkie, a needle using crack addict or worse. Could be an ex-marine, a cop, a doctor or even my neighbor for all I know. The fact is, he became addicted to an opiate. It happens. Kudos for trying to get off the opiates in a sane way. Until one understands the condition, how can one comment in vile ways? Why do so many here automatcally assume addictions are only affecting the poor, the weak or the criminal element?
You said it correctly. The key word is "addicted." BATFE Form 4473 doesn't care why. If you require methadone you are addicted. If you check "yes" you'll be denied the sale. If you check "NO" you have offered a false instrument for filing with a government agency, a federal felony (see below).
BATFE 4473, Question 11-e - Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? ___YES ___NO.
I understand that a person who answers "yes" to any of the questions 11.b through 11.k is prohibited from purchasing or receiving a firearm. I also understand that making any false oral or written statement, or exhibiting any false or misrepresented identification with respect to this transaction, is a crime punishable as a felony under federal law, an may also violate state or local law.
Specifically, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping/transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition: (3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance;

So no one one methadone should own a gun. What about people prescribed pain pills, Xanax, antidepressants. How about achohol? Most of you who are saying " why would you even want to own a gun" have no idea what your talking about. One guy said how do you even drive a car. Those are some ignorant statements. Treatment programs are used to stay off illegal drugs. By the way the question on the form says are you a unlawful user.

Heroin addict wants a gun? How about a jail cell instead. What kind of person even asks such nonsense?

Hello all.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post this for anyone who comes and sees it, considering the information is relevant regardless of thread age.

I would like to say, with all due respect, that although methadone is used primarily as a controlled method to combat heroin, not all methadone patients are heroin addicts. A good portion of people at these treatment centers have never even touched heroin.

The big problem today is that many doctors prescribe "legal" heroin to their patients when an ibuprofen would do just fine in most cases. People think, "hey its my doctor so It is safe." These people trust their doctors to manage their pain medication properly but most of the time doctors become legal drug dealers and their unsuspecting patients become addicted to prescribed painkillers. Doctor prescribed opiates cause more deaths every year then heroin, meth and cocaine combined.

So my point is, not everyone at a methadone clinic was or is a heroin addict. Many came from normal households but had become addicted through no fault of their own. Before they realized it, they were physically dependent on a pill and went to methadone to better manage their situation and ultimately detoxing down via a proper step-down until free of medication. So although methadone is addicting, not everyone is a typical "addict" who displays the characteristics of a unlawful user junkie. Proper methadone programs are not unlawful use

While the weren't the typical "street druggie" they were addicts.

Most states also have laws about alcohol and carrying, and I guess that states with legal weed have or are considering passing laws about under the influence and carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back