Men are not men.

I think your use of metrosexual is incorrect, unless you have a superb sense of fashion. Im 25 and can cook, clean, sew, garden, shoot straight, disassemble my guns blindfold, and can articulate the difference between "boolits" and cartridges or rounds. I do not consider myself to be metrosexual. I consider this the way we should all have been raised, with diverse skills that we can fall back on.

Also, my wife can't sew and doesn't understand how to cook meat or fish. I agree, all those skills in a man IS a Survival leg up. Rock on ;]

I could ramble on for hours about this topic, but it all boils down to a very simple answer: if you want to see "men" in the world, you have to raise them. ....QUOTE]
I agree with you, raise them! You don't need another woman or women don't another man to raise a child when the child is already there...right values, right morals, integrity -- it is a better to raise a child alone than a child be raised in a dysfunctional home whose parents are always fighting and none have any integrity nor even respect for one another. At least you can instill your values on each of the child you are raising. At least teach him/her right from wrong. And to boot, how to be a leader of men.

Someone said to me today (must be an Aussie friend of mine...) If the global crisis continues at the present rate, by the end of this year only two banks will be left operational ..... the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank! Before you know it, these two will merge, and the whole place will be full of bloody wankers.:sarcastic:

Tucker's Mom, can I first point out that it's great to see a female as a Gold Supporter of the site when a lot of people don't seem to want to support anything these days; this site, NRA, SAF, GOA, nothing!

Now, as far as what you posted, I guess I have a question for you, but first an explanation. My Dad died on Christmas Day when I was five years old. My Mother never found anyone to marry that she loved as much as my Dad and therefore raised me alone.She did the absolute best she could, but working 12-18 hours a day doesn't leave much time for being an example and spending weekends together. I had a work ethic and moral values and self-esteem, I never touched drugs or alcohol, and was overall a well-behaved teenager. However, the beginning of my freshman year in High School, we moved to a house that was right next to a couple that I will never forget. The husband had a sixth-grade education and worked at a lumber mill. He drove a pickup and owned a duece-and-a-half flatbed with a rock crusher transmission for big jobs. He raised his own chickens and goats, planted his own garden, roofed his own house, hunted, fished, chopped down and split his own wood, and for my four years of high school I was never more than 100 feet from this "uneducated" man. He used to give me a job and then step back and laugh his butt off at the ridiculous way I attempted to do it with all of my "book learnin'" before he showed me the common sense way to get it done. He taught me to drive - even that duece-and-a-half, hunt, roof a house, build a feed and tack room from scratch, raise a garden - absolutely everything I know about being a man. He was 6'7", 300 lbs and his name was "Tiny." I know God and my Father sent him from Heaven to knock some sense into my head.

I guess my question is, do you think a household without a father figure can deliver this kind of education? My Mother didn't - she thanked God for Tiny being the father figure in my life. Tiny and his wife couldn't have kids - they loved having me around and treated me as their own child. Yeah, it was a strange setup, but we all got the elements of a "whole" family. As much as a single parent can do, is it fair to deprive children of that other-parent element, be it male or female? I think either way the child grows up not understanding what that element is supposed to be and deliver to a relationship when they never see the two parents interacting with each other and the children directly.

I remember my shop teacher, who was missing part of his index finger.

I think about my wife as a teenager. Her father had died and she changed her own tires and put in a starter. She was more boy than a lot of guys I knew. Horses, guns, dirt bikes, baseball... I knew she was the gal for me!

How about NYC where some men's idea of roughing it is getting their Italian loafers wet.

Political correctness is trying to convince someone it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

BC1, one of the first conversations I had with my (now) wife when I met her in High School was how she had got frustrated with the way she had to keep replacing the thermostats on her Toyota Celica and how she had just done the brakes and bled them herself. I was in Luuuuuv!

you aren't a metro my friend. to qoute my sister "a metrosexual is a gay man who only dates women". you would be a jack of all trades. i for one am a real man and i'm only 22. i can fix most problems with a car or bike, i can hunt and fish and gut and cook what i get, i keep my word because when you are broke like me your word is worth its weight in gold, and i am a hard worker (i used to put in 16 hour days routinely at my last job). i don't care if my opinions offend others, i'm rather right leaning, i believe english is our native language, i believe in constitutional carry, i am cristian, and i will defend my family and my country to my dying breath if need be. that is a real man. that is how we all should be.

I think your use of metrosexual is incorrect, unless you have a superb sense of fashion. Im 25 and can cook, clean, sew, garden, shoot straight, disassemble my guns blindfold, and can articulate the difference between "boolits" and cartridges or rounds. I do not consider myself to be metrosexual. I consider this the way we should all have been raised, with diverse skills that we can fall back on.

Also, my wife can't sew and doesn't understand how to cook meat or fish. I agree, all those skills in a man IS a Survival leg up. Rock on ;]

exGee11, It doesn't matter what label you put on it. Those with skills will survive, those without will be the slaves of those who have them or will simply keep asking themselves, "Why didn't I learn that when I had the chance?" until they are dead.

Most areas have some sort of "Adult Education (also called Continuing Education and Learning Exchange)" classes that teach welding, becoming an EMT, survival, herbalism for healing, CPR, first aid, basic construction, auto repair, basic tool use, almost anything you could want for $25-75 and two days a week for 5-7 weeks. These classes are a great start to see if you are even interested in a subject because they are so short you can knock them out, get the basics down (always a great thing), and then decide if you want more education or if that was it for that subject.

A renaissance man and a jack of all trades are almost the same thing.
Leonardo da Vinci was a Renaissance man. He was an inventor, painter, philosopher, poet, architect, engineer and did them all very well.
A Renaissance man has in-depth knowledge of multiple things. While a Jack of all trades can dabble in a variety of things but is master of none.

Myself, I can fix my own vehicles, clean my own house, cook (I've worked in a few restaurants), sew (I use to make sails for sailboats and now can sew most anything), I'm an artist, scuba diver, used to work with horses, photography, and a few other things. I'm nowhere close to Leonardo da Vinci but I hold my own.:laugh:

Tucker's Mom, can I first point out that it's great to see a female as a Gold Supporter of the site when a lot of people don't seem to want to support anything these days; this site, NRA, SAF, GOA, nothing!

Now, as far as what you posted, I guess I have a question for you, but first an explanation. My Dad died on Christmas Day when I was five years old. My Mother never found anyone to marry that she loved as much as my Dad and therefore raised me alone.She did the absolute best she could, but working 12-18 hours a day doesn't leave much time for being an example and spending weekends together. I had a work ethic and moral values and self-esteem, I never touched drugs or alcohol, and was overall a well-behaved teenager. However, the beginning of my freshman year in High School, we moved to a house that was right next to a couple that I will never forget. The husband had a sixth-grade education and worked at a lumber mill. He drove a pickup and owned a duece-and-a-half flatbed with a rock crusher transmission for big jobs. He raised his own chickens and goats, planted his own garden, roofed his own house, hunted, fished, chopped down and split his own wood, and for my four years of high school I was never more than 100 feet from this "uneducated" man. He used to give me a job and then step back and laugh his butt off at the ridiculous way I attempted to do it with all of my "book learnin'" before he showed me the common sense way to get it done. He taught me to drive - even that duece-and-a-half, hunt, roof a house, build a feed and tack room from scratch, raise a garden - absolutely everything I know about being a man. He was 6'7", 300 lbs and his name was "Tiny." I know God and my Father sent him from Heaven to knock some sense into my head.

I guess my question is, do you think a household without a father figure can deliver this kind of education? My Mother didn't - she thanked God for Tiny being the father figure in my life. Tiny and his wife couldn't have kids - they loved having me around and treated me as their own child. Yeah, it was a strange setup, but we all got the elements of a "whole" family. As much as a single parent can do, is it fair to deprive children of that other-parent element, be it male or female? I think either way the child grows up not understanding what that element is supposed to be and deliver to a relationship when they never see the two parents interacting with each other and the children directly.

Your story already told you the answer, son! You were 5 when your Dad died. Your mother did not find anyone to take the place of your Dad. Your story of her speaks volumes already. She strengthens you, give you the morals and the good of mind to stick to something. I bet your mother taught you good from bad...remember your days with her with gentleness and look for that goodness and strength and the life style she has and for you. I am sure there are good days as well as bad. The formative years of your youth.

Another part of your story is your moving when you were a freshman... part of your growing up. That was meant to happen, for you to be able to move to good part of town that will teach you one way or another good from bad. You are a smart boy for noticing that neighbour of yours day in and day out. But no, you did not ignore him and neither did he ignored you. You merged your life with him (and so did your mom) because it is such a time in your life that you needed someone to be able to teach you things you need to know. How much your mother prayed for that to happen, do you know? Your mother worked her butt off so you can move to a place like that. To her it is a dream come true. Son, no one is an island...we need each other's help at times and when the time is right and you did good in your life (e.g., no alcohol, did not touch drugs, nor did you smoke...and other good things despite your environment..) it is time to reward you so you can move on with your own life. I do not believe in accidents. And I believe each of us is the star of our own life. The rest are cast players. It is how you move your life forward that matters.

Again, look at your mother's life. You think she was absent for you? She is trying to live her life but taking you into consideration as her son so you and her can have a better life, where your needs were met even if it is just her and you. Now look at you, do you think you could have gone this far in life without your mother's strength at first? She is an instiller and an enabler in your life. What could have happened if when you met Tiny she prevented you from seeing him and had had all bad things in her mind about Tiny as a pedophile? Her life, your life and Tiny's are all meant to happen, don't you ever doubt that!

As for me, back to work...I'll be back....later.

Hollywood, California, where men are men & so are the women. :biggrin:

I met a woman in Hollywood once that was passing out flyers to her new show. She was in a pink dress, purple boa and black high heels. Her name was Tina and she was a big, muscular girl! Now if it wasn't for that nasty glandular condition...poor girl had what looked like an Adam's Apple, but I guess that won't show on stage.

A renaissance man and a jack of all trades are almost the same thing.
Leonardo da Vinci was a Renaissance man. He was an inventor, painter, philosopher, poet, architect, engineer and did them all very well.
A Renaissance man has in-depth knowledge of multiple things. While a Jack of all trades can dabble in a variety of things but is master of none.

Myself, I can fix my own vehicles, clean my own house, cook (I've worked in a few restaurants), sew (I use to make sails for sailboats and now can sew most anything), I'm an artist, scuba diver, used to work with horses, photography, and a few other things. I'm nowhere close to Leonardo da Vinci but I hold my own.:laugh:

pafindr,

When the SHTF, can I come to your place? Together we'll be an unstoppable brain trust!

My wife would agree. Although she sees me as 18 with 35 years experience she recently got a look at a different side of me. She's been recuperating from a bad auto accident and multiple surgeries. I cooked (poorly), cleaned, did all the housework and even cut her steak (she was in a cast). I did it because I wanted to. She deserved everything I had to do. 29 years married this November.

My wife would agree. Although she sees me as 18 with 35 years experience she recently got a look at a different side of me. She's been recuperating from a bad auto accident and multiple surgeries. I cooked (poorly), cleaned, did all the housework and even cut her steak (she was in a cast). I did it because I wanted to. She deserved everything I had to do. 29 years married this November.
That's what being a man is all about. And congrats on the 29 years.

Ok. Knowing self-reliance skills is great. Being able to fix a car, raise chickens, reload, bowhunt, build a home, these are all important. But they alone do not define manhood. I know plenty of people who are quite self-reliant but who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. Manhood comes with true commitment to your family, and being both responsible and accountable for that commitment. This is what boys especially will learn from, in order to become real men. Learning the skills of self-confidence reliance are only the vehicles to get you there. One of my sons recently asked me how old he has to be before he will be a man. I told him, when you can put the needs of those you love ahead of your own personal wants, then you will be a man. And sadly, most males of our species never learn that lesson, preferring to waste precious years in front of a bigscreen TV watching sports and drinking beer. 'Nuff said for now.

Seems to me if we want to see more and better men in society, then we must be men, teach men to be men, and lead as men by setting an example. That does not mean swagger and bluster and putting others in their place (become a caricature). Do we want recognition as men or do we want to be men? And, quite frankly, not only is that nostalgic women as "nest builder" crap not going to fly with most women these days, but it does nothing for our "manliness" to suggest that the "little lady" should be sitting on the nest at home.

There are elements that make a man a man - one may hate the word, but compassion needs to be part of being a man. Men lead to make things better; they care about more than the status of men. Unless we see ourselves as no different than the alpha males of the non-human primate world, then we have to have a conscience. Commitment is another - we need to be dedicated to making a better world, willing to work, see it as our lot in life.

Respect does not simply follow from having external genitalia or not caring about how we look or smell - it is earned. To do so men must be competent - we cannot pretend to be capable, tell people how capable we are and demand it be handed to us; we must work to be capable and demonstrate our competence. We must be resilient, must be willing to take the hard knocks and stand up for more. When men act (men are active) with compassion, competence, and commitment, we set an example and make a difference.

Anyway, have at it...since I did not suggest that the essence of a real man was to hit the streets at high noon with his six-shooter and earn respect by demanding it, I likely struck some sensitive nerves...

Everyone has their own take on "what makes a male a Man?" Some think its drinkin with their buddys and having promiscuous sex. Others think its knowing 101 useless facts about you favorite sport team(s). Some think its fighting another man like a Roman Gladiator (only w/o weapons). Or maybe even being the best at some video game. The best Non-Man image is this liar, thief and violent thugs idea.

To me, a man is a idea of; Putting First and For most raising and molding a family to be trusting, honest, hard working humans. Not to be ******* and victims. Knowing how to fend for themselves and survive, by not depending on others but to work with them. Teaching their sons how to fix the house, cook his own food, clean up after himself, defend himself and his loved ones, how to look for and treat woman with respect. Teach their daughters how protect themselves, what kind of quality man is in her best interest, how to care for family and be good mothers.
For him to lead his family and friends into a noble, EDUCATED, and strong bond in life, family, and religion.

If he has no wife and kid(s); a man would be one that does this for his immediate family and even friends.

A man is not greedy, evil, and violent(minus self defense).

That, my friends, is A Man 2.0 in my mind

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back