Memphis Commercial Appeal Now Publishing Handgun Carry Info

PascalFleischman

Please make your voices heard.

On their website, the Memphis Commercial Appeal began a "search engine" of sorts that will allow a user to search the TN Department of Safety database to obtain information on TN Handgun Carry Permit holders.

The information given is your Full Name, Birthday, Zip Code of residence, and your Issue/Expiration dates of your permit.

Please note that they do not provide information on those holding a motor vehicle operator license, voter registration information, DUI arrests, Sex Offender registry....only the information of legally armed citizens.

There is a lot of ballywho going on about "it'll lead criminals to your door" and such, but I don't quite buy all that. If the state doesn't find it necessary to put my information out there, the newspaper shouldn't either. I can't find all this information just by Googling myself.

Please make yourselves heard, on the behalf of all Tennessee carriers.

I will not post the link to the database search, but here is the staff of the Commercial Appeal.

Link Removed

ricbak

This kind of trash flat out P*$* -- Me Off. Do these publishers ever consider the danger they exposing people to? Maybe we should contact the advertisers and put pressure there too. :angry: (Yes, I know, That dos not always work either.):mad::angry:

johnsteele

This kind of trash flat out P*$* -- Me Off. Do these publishers ever consider the danger they exposing people to? Maybe we should contact the advertisers and put pressure there too. :angry: (Yes, I know, That dos not always work either.):mad::angry:
That's their intent

ricbak

Via Google Reader

NRA-ILA is reporting:

Link Removed
Link Removed
·11250 Waples Mill Road · Fairfax, Virginia 22030 ·800-392-8683​

NRA Chief Lobbyist and Tennessee native sent this letter to the editors of the Memphis Commercial Appeal on Tuesday, February 10.​

Friday, February 13, 2009

To date, the paper has not published the letter or returned phone calls that we left for them. As a result, we are posting this letter.
Dear Editor:
Your decision to publicize the personal information of Right-to-Carry permit holders in Tennessee is unjustifiable, disgraceful, and dangerous. Your “public has the right to know” reason is unconvincing when compared to the compelling life and death reasons to which many law abiding Tennesseeans apply for these permits. By publicizing this information, you have endangered the lives of judges whose life has been threatened by criminals, the businessman who makes daily trips to the bank to deposit his earnings, and the woman with a restraining order against an abusive ex or a stalker.
Right-to-carry permit holders submit to scrutiny by law enforcement before they obtain their permits. Some have been advised by law enforcement to get a permit to ensure their personal safety and that of their loved ones. One vital point in having a concealed carry permit is that the firearm and the identity of the permit holder remain concealed. The late Charlton Heston fittingly observed that the essence of Right-to-Carry is that in a world where wolves cannot distinguish between lions and lambs, the whole flock is safer. Your complete lack of discretion has empowered criminals and made the law-abiding vulnerable. To the reasonable and rational, personal safety trumps voyeuristic curiosity every time. Your actions speak volumes as to who you are.
Respectfully,
Chris W. Cox is executive director National Rifle Association - Institute for Legislative Action in Fairfax, VA. He grew up in Jackson, TN and is a graduate of Rhodes College.

Piece Corps

Here ya go, guys. This is a list of all the editors and staff at the Commercial Appeal. Next it will be posted on craigslist, with an invitation to call and tell each of them what you think. I'm thinking there is gonna be a lot of telephone number changes made really soon:

Joseph Pepe, President and publisher
3195 Wetherby Cv S
Germantown, TN 38139
901-737-8784
901-529-2205
Home Property Tax Information

Steve Tomb, VP of Operations
1846 Wildcreek Cv
Collierville, TN 38017
901-529-2446

Chris Peck, Editor
21 Belleair Dr
Memphis, TN 38104
901-276-8314
901-529-2390
Chris Peck's Facebook Page
Wife, Kathleen Facebook Page
Son Cody Peck's Facebook Page
Daugher Sarah Peck's Facebook Page

Otis Sanford, Editor/Opinion & Editorials
3396 Park Ave
Memphis, TN 38111
901-529-2447

Eric Janssen, VP of Digital Media
8996 Stratfield Cv
Germantown, TN 38139
901-358-7007
901-212-3597, Cell
901-529-2480

Scott Sines, Managing Editor
2136 Wentworth Ln
Germantown, TN 38139
901-529-5843

Daniel Moehle, VP/Chief Financial Officer
3172 Devonshire Way
Germantown, TN 38139
901-757-5911
901-529-2210

Karl Wurzbach, VP of Sales and Marketing
3098 Bentwood Run Dr
Collierville, TN 38017
901-529-2640

Robert Jiranek, VP of New Business Development
175 Waring Rd
Memphis, TN 38117
901-251-1810
901-529-6525

Bob Pinarski, Advertising Director
3961 Herons Landing Ln
Arlington, TN 38002
901-867-5294
901-529-2250

Denise Holman, Manager of Classified Advertising
720 Litty Ct 103
Memphis, TN 38103
901-529-2216

Paul Jewell, Marketing Director
1439 Vance Ave
Memphis, TN 38104
901-272-1458
901-529-2219

KimberRB

It can be stopped

That was going on here in Ohio, We published all the info on the reporters, Names of family members where they work, schools it got so ugly a law was passed that stopped this kind of trash. They can look at the list but not publish it.

Piece Corps

It has also been reported that the list they are publishing is bad, that a lot of permit holders are NOT listed on their database. There are also rumors that some of the staff at the paper have carry permits, and have deliberately been removed from the published list.

BTW, the list I supplied below is legit. It was compiled by a "concerned citizen" who lives in the area. I live in Florida, where this kind of thing is illegal. At least my state believes in the confidentiality of those with carry permits:

790.0601 Public records exemption for concealed weapons.--

(1) Personal identifying information of an individual who has applied for or received a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to s. 790.06 held by the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This exemption applies to such information held by the division before, on, or after the effective date of this section.

magicman007

If state law exempts the publication of the information and the paper has published that information, wouldn't that constitute breaking the law? At he very least, wouldn't it open the newspaper to civil litigation by those on the list? Had anyone taken this to the authorities or an attorney to get an injunction? I mean, money talks.

PascalFleischman

It's still legal in TN to publish this information. Now that we have finally gotten a Republican majority in BOTH houses, they can most likely finally pass legislation to prohibit this.

Previously, it has been killed in committee by former Speaker of the House, Jimmy Naifeh.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AllstarzgamevV