Mech-Tech CCU (Primarily for the 1911)

NM-1911

Carry: Taurus PT-1911
Howdy! Anyone out here in Carry-land have first hand experience with the Mech-Tech CCU? I have been considering one as part of my bug-out bag, since I carry a 1911 anyway, I thought it might be a good defence acquisition. I have also heard that it (in .45 ACP) may be good for hunting game up to white tail size.

I have read numerous reviews on them and the most consistent gripe is the slide does not lock open on the last round. (I would find that a workable pain in the rear.) Any insight would be appreciated, before I drop, up to $850.00 for a fully loaded one. Thanks!

A carbine conversion for a 1911? No experience with it but seems silly. Why would you do that to a perfectly good 1911? Save you're $850 and go buy yourself something else mho.

The only problem with these types of conversions is once you convert your pistol receiver to a carbine/rifle it can't be converted back to a pistol without registering it as a SBR. The only exception is Thompson/Center.

The only problem with these types of conversions is once you convert your pistol receiver to a carbine/rifle it can't be converted back to a pistol without registering it as a SBR. The only exception is Thompson/Center.

Actually, the CCU is an "upper" to a 1911, or a Glock. It is a legal conversion, similar to converting a 1911 to a .22 capable pistol. I have checked with my local laws and also with the company, and the only state that disallows the conversion, is California... Go figure.

Here is the link to Mech-Tech's "What is a CCU?" Link Removed

Actually, the CCU is an "upper" to a 1911, or a Glock. It is a legal conversion, similar to converting a 1911 to a .22 capable pistol. I have checked with my local laws and also with the company, and the only state that disallows the conversion, is California... Go figure.

Here is the link to Mech-Tech's "What is a CCU?" Link Removed

It's legal to convert it to a rifle but it's illegal to convert it back to a pistol. Once you put your receiver on the CCU upper it becomes a rifle and the only legal way to convert it back to a pistol is to pay for an SBR stamp. The only system exempt is the Thompson/Center combo set. You have to worry about Fed laws on this not local laws. Here's the SCOTUS decision on the subject. Link Removed

Do a Google search on: Mech-Tech CCU converting back to pistol

It's legal to convert it to a rifle but it's illegal to convert it back to a pistol. Once you put your receiver on the CCU upper it becomes a rifle and the only legal way to convert it back to a pistol is to pay for an SBR stamp. The only system exempt is the Thompson/Center combo set. You have to worry about Fed laws on this not local laws. Here's the SCOTUS decision on the subject. Link Removed

Do a Google search on: Mech-Tech CCU converting back to pistol

Okay, this sucks. Well, that leaves me to purchase an AR-10 then. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi all - on the subject of carbine conversion systems and their legal implications, here is the definitive answer straight from the BATF: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
This ruling came down in July 2011. Also see: The American Rifleman magazine, page 90 (Nov 2011 issue), in their ILA column
sheds light on the subject in a more concise form:
"The ruling also states that a pistol can be made into a rifle (for example by adding a
long barrel and a shoulder stock), and then turned back into a pistol, without making an
NFA 'firearm' "
Also see the Mech Tech website forum: MechTech -
Bottom line - you CAN legally revert to the original pistol after configuring the pistol to a rifle. Also, the TC Arms decision is generic and applies to all pistol-to-rifle-and-back systems.
Hope this clarifies the issue.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back