Maybe I'm a rocket scientist and just don't know it.

shadow106

Shadow106
I'm gonna keep this brief and to the point. I haven't been able to find my 3/16 thin wall socket, which I use for switching front sights on some Glocks. I go to Boise to buy a new one. I go to reputable gun-shops that I do business with. All but one tell me that they are not aware that such a tool exists. In a couple of them, we actually broke down some Gen 3's so they could see the hex screw in the slide.

In another, one that has on-site gun-smithing, I was told that two of their guys had the tool since they are "Glock Armorers", but it was not for sale to the public. I suggested they look at the internet where the tool is all over the place.

Finally, when I asked about the tool in the last shop, I was promptly informed by the owner that all Glock sights are STAKED, and that no such tool is needed nor exists. That ticked me off, so I suggested he break down the G23 he was wearing and take a look at the sight mount. He said he was tired of smart ass know-it-all customers and told me to just leave the store. I was really floored, told him I would leave, but he might want to check out the mount after I was gone, 'cause he was WRONG.

I'm not a mouthy kid and I do not present myself as a know-it-all. In fact, except for the "Glock armorers" and the last shop owner, the exchanges were cordial and pleasant. The guys I dealt with actually seemed pleased with the information about the tool, since they all carry Hi Viz and Truglo sights, among others. After nearly 50 years of hand-gunning, and 40+ in law enforcement, I've learned a few things, and I'm STILL learning. I HATE it when that background is belittled, or I'm treated like I have dementia by some bubble gum jerk. End of rant. I thank you.

A lot of 3/16 1/4 drive deep sockets will or can be made too work. If the end of the socket is a little rounded just file or grind the end a little bit to get a nice flat end. Old mechanic and I have several out in the shed that work fine. Usually deep sockets have a thinner wall in the smaller sizes.

Shadow106,
Good for you ! I always here the guys at the gun stores talking, like they are the only ones that know anything about weapons.Then if you prove them wrong they pout like little kids.

I'm glad you stood your ground, and acted like a gentlemen. Thanks for the Education on the socket (tool) I was unaware about that. Thanks again.

I just took a deep socket and filed it as dave has said...You will also need to remove some of the wall thickness to get it on the screw. I was also put off by my local shop and their GOD complex. They charge $35 to install GLOCK sights, I have 2 glocks and instead of paying them 70+ dollars, I bought my own rear sight tool for $100 and made my own front tool as described. Now I can fine tune my sight windage adjustment at the range, until I think it is perfect.

Puts me to shame. I'm one of those guys who never took the time to learn such things. ...Yet.

When you are not right yell and say they are wrong. That will make you right? What ever works for you, I would rather learn something!

I don`t own a Glock, but I have recently got into AR 15`s, and it seems that if you don`t own a two or three thousand dollar AR 15, anything less is junk, and most people that own AR 15`s are AR snobs.

Good rant. I've had the same reaction at a gun shop I no longer frequent. I had just finished reading an article in G&A about a holster. I asked a simple question, or so I thought, about said holster. Instead of trying to get me the information I needed or simply saying they knew nothing about it, they started the 'that's a lousy holster' crap. Never been back to that shop.

Asked the same question at a shop I've never been into before. The counter guy said he never heard of it but if I gave him my name and number he'd see what he could find out. 3 business days later I get a call around dinner time. He lets me know he ordered one for his stock and he would give me first 'dibs' on it. Needless to say, I went down a couple of days later, tried it, bought it and have been driving the extra 1/2 hour to get to that shop ever since.

It's all about the attitude.

I've had the same problem myself.

I've been to a "big box" store and I asked if they had a pistol is stock. I already have one and wanted a second. He told me that they don't carry it and wouldn't take one in on trade because the gun is pure junk, then he added, "I'm a gunsmith and I know these things". I know better because I've put over 500 rounds through mine with no problems. I might go back if he had said that we don't carry that manufacturer because they are considered lower quality by their corporate office. I would have taken it at face value and continued shopping, but he took the Corporate decision and tainted it with his own opinion.

Now the only reason I'd go back to that store is if they are the only retailers that carry a item and I think I'd rather drive to other location rather than go back to that location.

I do own an AR but I know exactly what you're talking about. I was in Arizona a year or so back, and went shooting with some old "friends" that all have AR's. They DID shoot, but they spent more time at the tailgate of the truck, trying to out do one another with their latest acquisitions. "My brand is better than your brand". "Mine cost more and will hold it's value better than yours". "My sight isn't some after market junk, like your's is". Problem was, at 203 yards on the range finder, I was blowing away the clay targets as fast and as often as they were, with my Chinese sights and my $600 AR.

I do own an AR but I know exactly what you're talking about. I was in Arizona a year or so back, and went shooting with some old "friends" that all have AR's. They DID shoot, but they spent more time at the tailgate of the truck, trying to out do one another with their latest acquisitions. "My brand is better than your brand". "Mine cost more and will hold it's value better than yours". "My sight isn't some after market junk, like your's is". Problem was, at 203 yards on the range finder, I was blowing away the clay targets as fast and as often as they were, with my Chinese sights and my $600 AR.

This is exactly my point. If you want to spend 2000 plus dollars on an AR15, thats fine. But don`t come up to me and start talking crap about how your AR15 is better than my 800 dollar AR15, because its not. If you want to spend the extra money to buy some special name brand AR15, all your doing is over paying for a name, nothing more, they all use the same parts, and they all to the same thing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back