May be Moving to Florida. Convert my current NY permit to NY non-res?

Rick-e

Has anyone looked into this? Will they convert my current permit to non-resident, or do I have to go through the whole application process?

there is no need to convert your NY permit, you can keep your NY permit, in fact you can apply for your FLA permit right now, there is no such thing as a resident or non resident permit, the permits do not have your address on them
as for getting the FLA permit you will have to go through the process here in FLA, but the good news is that the processing is nowhere near as insane as the NY processing is.

New York does not offer non-resident permits, and the law states that one must be a resident of New York to receive a permit/license. Since New York does not honor any other states' permits, they will probably invalidate your NY permit once your residency is in Florida.

New York does include your address. I changed mine about 15 years after I moved and the clerk just wrote the new address in and initialed it. So I don't think it's a big deal, but with Andy in charge who knows what the flavor of the day is.

Right now your primary residence has to be in NY to have a NY permit. There is a court case going on now about non resident permits, but I am not sure what it's status is.

My uncle who retired to Florida in 2005 kept his New York State Permit. He applied for, and received his Florida permit shortly after moving to Florida. Only problem he had was finding an address in New York to put on his pistol permit. I ended up letting him use mine.

Since then, 8 years ago there has never been an issue. My suggestion to you, is to do the same you never know if you might come back to NYS, and if you do, you have your permit.

Once you surrender it, you would have to go through the whole ridiculous process of getting your permit all over again.

Sent from my AT300SE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the replies. According to the info on this site, NY is a "may issue" to residents and non-residents.
I already have my FL permit, Utah also.

there is no need to convert your NY permit, you can keep your NY permit, in fact you can apply for your FLA permit right now, there is no such thing as a resident or non resident permit, the permits do not have your address on them
as for getting the FLA permit you will have to go through the process here in FLA, but the good news is that the processing is nowhere near as insane as the NY processing is.
The process in NYS is slow because of the massive number of permit applications since 2008. NY is not a "may issue" state, it's a "discretionary issue" state. No judge may deny any permit without cause. The reasons for a denial are listed in NYS PL 400.00. The judge may not just decide not to give someone a permit.
NYS does not provide non-resident permits. But persons who aren't residents who own a business in NYS can get a permit. Some counties will allow you to keep your NY permit after you move. Others will require surrender of the permit. There's no standard under the law. You must check with your issuing county to determine if you can keep it and what you must do.
DO NOT, just keep your permit with your old NYS address and then carry into NYS. If you present the old permit, with the old address, to any LEO you are guilty of offering a false instrument and violations of NYS Article 265. You'll be arrested.
Check with your county and do exactly as they say. And if they allow you to keep the permit DO NOT carry a gun in NYS that's not listed on the permit. Good luck.

My uncle who retired to Florida in 2005 kept his New York State Permit. He applied for, and received his Florida permit shortly after moving to Florida. Only problem he had was finding an address in New York to put on his pistol permit. I ended up letting him use mine.

Since then, 8 years ago there has never been an issue. My suggestion to you, is to do the same you never know if you might come back to NYS, and if you do, you have your permit.

Once you surrender it, you would have to go through the whole ridiculous process of getting your permit all over again.

DO NOT DO THIS
Your uncle is committing a felony under NYS PL S265.03 (Criminal Possession of a Weapon), such punishable by the minimum of 3.5 years in prison. His permit is not valid. He also committed the crime of filing a false instrument. If the state ever found out you allowed him to use your address your own permit would be revoked and criminal charges are possible. Consider these two laws below for your uncle.
265.03 Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree when:
(3) such person possesses any loaded firearm. Such possession shall not, except as provided in subdivision one or seven of section 265.02 of this article, constitute a violation of this subdivision if such
possession takes place in such person's home or place of business. Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree is a class C felony.
NYS PL S175.30 Offering a false instrument for filing in the second degree.
A person is guilty of offering a false instrument for filing in the second degree when, knowing that a written instrument contains a false statement or false information, he offers or presents it to a public
office or public servant with the knowledge or belief that it will be filed with, registered or recorded in or otherwise become a part of the records of such public office or public servant. Offering a false instrument for filing in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.
He can't claim ignorance when he intentionally filed a false permit amendment to keep the permit. This is trouble.

Thank you BC1, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I will contact the admin person in my issuing county. They have been great to deal with on other issues. Fingers crossed'

I have a NY carry permit and moved to VA. I have had my permit since 1972 and it is from cattaraugus county. I called the NYSP and they told me that the issuing county does the change over. I am working on mine now. I also have a VA CCW.

I did not realize that I ,or my uncle where committing such gross violations. I have since reached out to my uncle, and advised him of the of the Law. I advised him that he could no longer use my address.

He was a little upset with me, but in the end, he agreed that he would write a letter to the Pistol Permit Department advising them that, he no longer resides in New York State,and he is surrendering his New York State pistol permit.

BC1, thank you for educating me on this situation, and sparing me from any complications in the future.

BC1 has some valid points, but I would speak to an attorney in your county, who regularly deals with pistol permitting in that county, before surrendering any permits.

It's not my permit. it's my Uncle's , and he hasn't been back into New York since her left.

No big deal for him

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back