Massachusetts Gun Club

ricbak

Up dates and Criminal charges in a boys death is now hitting the news services.

December 4, 2008

Police chief, gun club indicted in boy’s Uzi death

By STEPHANIE REITZ
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — A police chief whose company sponsored a gun fair and two other men have been indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 8-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in the head with an Uzi at the gun fair.

The Westfield Sportsman’s Club also faces the manslaughter charge in the death of Christopher Bizilj (bah-SEAL’) of Ashford, Conn., who lost control of the 9mm micro submachine gun as it recoiled while he was firing at a pumpkin.

The boy’s father was 10 feet behind him and reaching for his camera when the child fired the weapon.

Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury owns the COP Firearms & Training, which sponsored the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo on Oct. 26 at the Westfield Sportsman’s Club.

Carl Guiffre of Hartford, Conn., and Domenico Spano, of New Milford, Conn., also were indicted on involuntary manslaughter charges, but it was not immediately clear what role Guiffre and Spano played in the boy’s death.

“A Micro Uzi is made by and for the Israeli Armed Forces and is intended to meet the operational needs of Israeli Special Forces,” Bennett said, noting the weapon has a rate of fire of 1,700 round per minute. “It is not a hunting weapon.”

Fleury and the club also were indicted on four counts each of furnishing a machine gun to a minor. Bennett said prosecutors know of at least four children, including Christopher, who fired the automatic weapons. The club faces a fine of up to $10,000 for each violation.

Fleury, Guiffre and Spano did not immediately return calls for comment. A man who answered the phone at the club said he was a member; he refused to identify himself and said no one wanted to talk.

The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people to the sporting club’s 375-acre compound. An advertisement said it would include machine gun demonstrations and rentals and free handgun lessons.

“It’s all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!” reads the ad, posted on the club’s Web site.

“You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control — FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL,” the ad said.

The ad also said children under 16 would be admitted free, and both adults and children were offered free .22-caliber pistol and rifle shooting.

Christopher’s father, Charles Bizilj, has said his son had experience firing handguns and rifles but the gun show was his first time with an automatic weapon.

A certified instructor was with the boy at the time.

The family did not immediately return a call for comment.

This never should have happened. I don't know why his father thought it was a good idea to let his 8yo son operate a fully automatic firearm while he was standing 10 feet away. I was talking to my mother the other day about this very incident and she told me when my brother goes to this facility for ANG range training they are NOT permitted to have they're weapons set to full auto. These are trained military personnel but it is ok for an 8 year old to do so. :shout: I guess this is part of the reason we have antis.

starshooter231

I agree that this situation could have TOTALLY been avoided. However, I think the rant and rave the anti's are throwing about this is a little extreme. They want to ban weapons as the result of 1 incident, but they won't ban alcohol because of hundreds of thousands of drunk driving deaths. They won't ban knifes when people get stabbed over 50 times. I think there is something wrong here. This is all my opinion

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back