Masachusetts Carry Experiences

J

James714

A forum for Massachusetts LTC'ers to voice their experiences and frustrations, if any, about the Mass Laws...

MA gun laws are a reflection of Ted Kennedy's personal feelings/agenda on guns and gun owners... I'll stipulate that no politician in the history of the United States of America had more valid reason to be afraid of people with guns than Teddy... With that written, he's gone and so with him should be the old gun laws...

Shall Issue licenses (having to ask permission to own and carry guns is BS in and of itself) has got to be done... May issue with any police chief in charge of deciding, is unconstitutional. More so than the license system itself..

The magazine capacity ban is a must go I agree... I have a Class A LTC which is a high capacity license. let me have the high cap mags.. The repeal of the permanent assault weapon ban (Thanks Mitt) would be a huge help. I was fortunate to have found a pre-ban Colt AR15 and an owner willing to trade for a non firearm item I had that he really wanted.

Removing all the approved firearms lists would be a welcome change... Although knowing the right FFL helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate on your comment below?
"Although knowing the right FFL helps.."

I'm just going to say this. Certain FFLs out there contend that the regulations written by the Attorney General are illegal. And they pretty much ignore them. Their feeling is, "Let's see them take me to court."

Incidentally - my understanding is that no FFL has been prosecuted under these regulations. Nor has any otherwise-law-abiding FID holder been prosecuted. So out of our tangled abortion of firearms laws, most of them have not yet been tested in court.

One more piece of the puzzle - GOAL is sponsoring legislation to get the "assault weapons ban" repealed, and it seems to be gaining ground. It is vital that all us Mass folks contact our legislators to make sure they are on board. More info can be found at:

GOAL Files Bill To Repeal Ban On Modern Sporting Arms

PS - if you're not a member, you really should join.

Shall Issue licenses (having to ask permission to own and carry guns is BS in and of itself) has got to be done... May issue with any police chief in charge of deciding, is unconstitutional. More so than the license system itself..

I can only halfway agree with that. Constitutional rights may be denied to certain persons. Felons are not allowed to vote. Convicted sex offenders are restricted in where they can live and who they can talk to. People with certain mental illnesses are locked up for the safety of the general population. The list goes on.

I support "shall issue licensing" - because if done correctly, it is simply a standard and formal way of saying "This person has no felony convictions and no severe mental health issues, and may own and carry firearms."

Whereas "constitutional carry" basically says "You may carry a firearm...but if you are caught doing so with a felony conviction or severe mental health issue, then it's your ass.."

In short, "shall issue" is proactive, while "constitutional carry" is reactive. "Shall issue" also has the up side (if done correctly) of relieving FFLs of the burden of doing background checks on every single customer.

Anyway - that's my $0.02 worth on the issue. :) I think Mass definitely needs to have "shall issue" across the boards.

I'm just going to say this. Certain FFLs out there contend that the regulations written by the Attorney General are illegal. And they pretty much ignore them. Their feeling is, "Let's see them take me to court."

Incidentally - my understanding is that no FFL has been prosecuted under these regulations. Nor has any otherwise-law-abiding FID holder been prosecuted. So out of our tangled abortion of firearms laws, most of them have not yet been tested in court.

One more piece of the puzzle - GOAL is sponsoring legislation to get the "assault weapons ban" repealed, and it seems to be gaining ground. It is vital that all us Mass folks contact our legislators to make sure they are on board. More info can be found at:

GOAL Files Bill To Repeal Ban On Modern Sporting Arms

PS - if you're not a member, you really should join.

Thanks for the info...

You're welcome, James.

And btw, I notice you're posting as a "guest." You might as well go ahead and join. :) Mostly good info here.

I can only halfway agree with that. Constitutional rights may be denied to certain persons. Felons are not allowed to vote. Convicted sex offenders are restricted in where they can live and who they can talk to. People with certain mental illnesses are locked up for the safety of the general population. The list goes on.

I support "shall issue licensing" - because if done correctly, it is simply a standard and formal way of saying "This person has no felony convictions and no severe mental health issues, and may own and carry firearms."

Whereas "constitutional carry" basically says "You may carry a firearm...but if you are caught doing so with a felony conviction or severe mental health issue, then it's your ass.."

In short, "shall issue" is proactive, while "constitutional carry" is reactive. "Shall issue" also has the up side (if done correctly) of relieving FFLs of the burden of doing background checks on every single customer.

Anyway - that's my $0.02 worth on the issue. :) I think Mass definitely needs to have "shall issue" across the boards.

They also have a compiled alphabetical list of gun owners... I dislike that idea immensely...
it offends my libertarian sensibilities...

I used to feel like it was proper and right to prevent people from gaining access to arms. The idea of responsible and reasonable restrictions seemed well, reasonable... The more we allow the right to be infringed upon and reinterpreted the greater risk we put the right in... We jeopardize it by exposing it to reasonable restrictions. Look at the laws in MA currently, they are the result of years of accumulating restrictions which many non gun owning individuals have dubbed as reasonable... I've posted to this effect in the past and gotten mixed reviews... Every tolerable infringement leads to yet another in the name of reason... In total they become infringements, and are the reason we have this thread...

Good debate material...

I agree with joining G.O.A.L. Get involved...

As far as the FFL's... The "list" is unconstitutional and they know it... They press the issue and as you have indicated, it's never been pushed to the edge. I know of one FFL who was threatened by the AG.. It was just that, a threat... He's still doing transfers and selling guns...

Good thread for MA gun owners to meet and discuss/debate some of the issues.

To clarify my own positions:

- I support "shall issue" licensing for concealed carry (simple CORI type check).
- I do not support "may issue" licensing for anything.
- I am not opposed to "constitutional carry." (While it has shortfalls, I think it can work.)

- I do not support firearms registration.
- I do not support having a registry of firearms owners.
- I think anyone age 18+ should be legally able to own ANY gun, without restrictions.
- The only exception to ANY gun would maybe be Class III - perhaps "shall issue" licensing w/CORI check.

And yes, I agree that Massachusetts is WAY OVER THE LINE with its firearms laws.

One more note here. Massachusetts is definitely a "special case" of the 2nd amendment being trampled upon. Other states (which I like to call "free states") have had 'shall issue licensing' for years without it leading to more restrictions.

While Mass is a good example of "It CAN run amok" - it's not logical to assume that "It ALWAYS will run amok."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back