Maryland Concealed Carry Permit

ArmySoldier

Or should I say the lack there of...I can't wait to get to move away from here!!!

I won't even apply for a permit in Maryland because I don't want to mark off on another states application that I was turned down for a permit else where. The state is corrupt. Unless you are well connected or law enforcement you are hard pressed to get a permit. Even if you do because of a business, it will be so restricted it is almost more of a liability to have it than not.
Of course there is always the alternative of carrying like every criminal in the state does. :58:

Of course there is always the alternative of carrying like every criminal in the state does. :58:

And the down side to that is if you get caught you'll probably never carry legally in any state again.

(I'm looking forward to leaving Maryland in the next few yeas too!)

Rick

I moved from Maryland to Tennessee in September of last year and almost immediately started the process to obtain a carry permit, it was no problem. The thought of having to move back to Maryland at some point and forfeit my carry privileges makes me sick. Maybe I'll consider PA instead.

I left MD a year ago next week.......I now live in Nevada.....

I can go to the hardware store, drug store or any other store that sells guns, pay for the gun, pay for the background check, and walk out with it right then and there!

Drive down the street to the next gun dealer and do it all over again!!!

Oh, and Nevada has no problem issuing you a CCW!

Even though I would like to come back to the east someday, It will be in PA or VA...I will never be a resident of Maryland again, simply because of their gun laws!

Carl

I'll be honest, I an not a firearms expert but I am a Maryland resident and it truly infuriates me that my state ignores our right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?

I've actually been thinking of applying for a non-resident permit somewhere, mostly out of protest of Maryland's policy. Can anyone recommend a state for this?

Thanks,

Will

I was gathering information needed to figure out what I needed to do to obtain a CCW in Maryland, and after reading what you've posted here and some other sites, I think it would be a huge waste of time and money. Really sucks that the state of Maryland definitely "infringes" on those who really want to carry for a good reason. Thanks for the info though.

I wonder how long it will take for the criminally pre-disposed to realize that the safest place to apply their trade is the "almost non-issue" states such as Maryland and New Jersey? I feel like we are being corralled into a “soft underbelly” for criminals. Are there any statistics gurus out there who might uncover such a trend? Do certain types of crimes decrease in states where CCW permits are more likely to be issued? Do they increase in states where they are not?

Last edited:
Will (bearthehair):pleasantry::pleasantry:,

I recommend you apply for a non resident PA permit (through the Centre County Sheriff's Dept). I am a resident of VA, and I have my resident CCW here - I got the PA permit to be able to carry throughout the SouthEastern states (believe it or not, the good ole boys in GA don't honor my VA permit... inconvienient since I visit family there often.) Those two permits won't solve your problems in Maryland however, but at least you'll get a couple to get started with if you decide to travel. The PA permit came in 7 days...VA took about 45.

Good luck brother... and screw Maryland...:pleasantry:

Will (bearthehair):pleasantry::pleasantry:,

I recommend you apply for a non resident PA permit (through the Centre County Sheriff's Dept). I am a resident of VA, and I have my resident CCW here - I got the PA permit to be able to carry throughout the SouthEastern states (believe it or not, the good ole boys in GA don't honor my VA permit... inconvienient since I visit family there often.) Those two permits won't solve your problems in Maryland however, but at least you'll get a couple to get started with if you decide to travel. The PA permit came in 7 days...VA took about 45.

Good luck brother... and screw Maryland...:pleasantry:

I've had a Pa license for a number of years now, not hard to get. However if your state issues a LTC you need to get it first. Even in "right denied"Illinois your need to send a copy of your Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card sent with your application. They do issue amazingly fast. I just got my Utah non-resident LTC this year which covers me in 29 states. I took an evening class here in Illinois, didn't even need range time. The class does need to be taught by a Utah certified instructor. Florida is also good in 29 states, or was last time I checked. You can use NRA basic handgun courses for training for Florida and apply by mail.

Since Maryland LTC are hard to get the Utah or Florida can be a benefit when talking to legislators about getting shall issue in Maryland. You can say why will this state issue a LTC to me and my home state where I have lived for _ years and vote won't? Why do they trust me more?

Go to a class in one of the surrounding state that will allow you to ge the UT and FL permits. From there as long as your record is clear you will be able to apply for several other states. Right now as a political statement I have permits from UT, ND, NH, CT, PA, my residence of ME, and will soon be adding FL.

Go to a class in one of the surrounding state that will allow you to ge the UT and FL permits. From there as long as your record is clear you will be able to apply for several other states. Right now as a political statement I have permits from UT, ND, NH, CT, PA, my residence of ME, and will soon be adding FL.
Some folks on the IllinoisCarry.com/forum have multiple non-resident permits as a political statement. New Hampshire just raised the cost of making a political statement with theirs to $100. If you are going to New Hampshire it is useful for concealed carry, as they require theirs. You can open carry without a permit there. It seems it and a number of other states in the east don't accept any other states LTC. Ct is one of them and I understand their LTC isn't hard to get. For those of us not in the north east Utah and Florida are very good. Pa worked for me in the surrounding states that I visit most Kentucky, and Missouri. It didn't in Ohio, where my daughter and family live, the main reason I added Utah. It also gives me Minnesota. If visiting states that don't accept your LTC, check if they allow loaded handguns in the glove box. Kentucky does without permit (though they except every LTC) and some other states do as well. Kentucky doesn't allow a handgun in the console without a permit, BTW. Kentucky is an open carry state.

Cost of the Utah LTC, is $65.25 for 5 years plus the cost of the training class. The one I took was $75, done in Illinois by a guy from Minnesota, that does them throughout the state. There might be someone who does them in Maryland. This was a one night class, no range was used.

Last edited:
Some folks on the IllinoisCarry.com/forum have multiple non-resident permits as a political statement. New Hampshire just raised the cost of making a political statement with theirs to $100. If you are going to New Hampshire it is useful for concealed carry, as they require theirs. You can open carry without a permit there. It seems it and a number of other states in the east don't accept any other states LTC. Ct is one of them and I understand their LTC isn't hard to get. For those of us not in the north east Utah and Florida are very good. Pa worked for me in the surrounding states that I visit most Kentucky, and Missouri. It didn't in Ohio, where my daughter and family live, the main reason I added Utah. It also gives me Minnesota. If visiting states that don't accept your LTC, check if they allow loaded handguns in the glove box. Kentucky does without permit (though they except every LTC) and some other states do as well. Kentucky doesn't allow a handgun in the console without a permit, BTW. Kentucky is an open carry state.

Cost of the Utah LTC, is $65.25 for 5 years plus the cost of the training class. The one I took was $75, done in Illinois by a guy from Minnesota, that does them throughout the state. There might be someone who does them in Maryland. This was a one night class, no range was used.

call Jim Reynolds at Pro Shooters out of Richmond. He is a UT certified instructor and periodically offers the UT CCW course in Maryland. I just took one last weekend near Baltimore

I'm a former MD'er and I escaped that prison for the freedom of VA. And I mean THE MONTH I found out about VA. Sold my house, packed and left. 20 years was enough and it was just getting worse. Heck most of my work was in VA anyway. I have no regrets except I wish I had done it sooner.

I had my VA permit less than a month after arriving. I keep that and one of the "Golden Travelers", UT or FL. The FL just expired and I picked up the UT. I may do a late renewal on the FL, but its 100 bucks and I only pick up KS.

I'm a former MD'er and I escaped that prison for the freedom of VA. And I mean THE MONTH I found out about VA. Sold my house, packed and left. 20 years was enough and it was just getting worse. Heck most of my work was in VA anyway. I have no regrets except I wish I had done it sooner.

I had my VA permit less than a month after arriving. I keep that and one of the "Golden Travelers", UT or FL. The FL just expired and I picked up the UT. I may do a late renewal on the FL, but its 100 bucks and I only pick up KS.

With Utah you do get Minnesota, which you don't with Florida. Unfortunately Florida doesn't recognize any states non-resident LTC. Either one is OK in Nebraska now. Also the renewal for Utah is only $10 for 5 years, hope its still that cheap when its time to renew mine.

I recently went to an MSP barracks to get info on how to get a ccw for Maryland, what a real joke! I was told by an MSP officer that I could not get one because I had not been threatened 3 times and it was not on police records. Why does someone have to be threatened 3 times before they MIGHT be given a ccw? I also can hardly wait to be able to move out of this state so I can enjoy my 2nd Amd freedoms.

I recently went to an MSP barracks to get info on how to get a ccw for Maryland, what a real joke! I was told by an MSP officer that I could not get one because I had not been threatened 3 times and it was not on police records. Why does someone have to be threatened 3 times before they MIGHT be given a ccw? I also can hardly wait to be able to move out of this state so I can enjoy my 2nd Amd freedoms.

Which barracks did you go to? They will issue permits if you meet a set of criteria. Employment is the most popular route for getting one. Money makes the permits go 'round.

Maryland permits.

Employment permits only allow you to carry while working. Business permits only allow you to carry when you are carrying cash for deposits. Without a permit you can only transport to/from the range, a gun store or a gunsmith and it must be unloaded and in the trunk.

How about we start a petition? I know that we are close to getting our CCW rights in Maryland and I think if we start an organized petition, it might help get us there faster.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back