Maryland Concealed Carry Permit

T2T,

According to the court in the Woollard Decision, this is what Bear means: Heller’s definition of one of the Amendment’s central terms, “bear,” further suggests that the right, though it may be subject to limitations, does not stop at one’s front door: “To bear arms,’ as used in the Second Amendment, is to ‘wear, bear, or carry... upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person’” 554 U.S. at 584

Things Are Changing

Victory For The Constitution in Maryland

We just received word that the United States District Court for the District of Maryland has granted a motion for summary judgement for plaintiff Ray Woollard in the Woollard v. Sheridan case that challenged the good and substantial requirement for issuance of a permit to carry a handgun.

You'll recall that this is the federal court case that Maryland Shall Issue helped to fund through a $10,000.00 donation to the Second Amendement Foundation who spearheaded this effort.

Ladies and gentlemen, we won!

This is all breaking news and there is far too much analysis to be done to comment any further today, but we wanted to make sure that MSI's members were aware of this exciting news.

A copy of the opinion can be found here.

Here are some important excerpts from the opinion:

"Because the ―good and substantial reason requirement is not reasonably adapted to a substantial government interest, the Court finds this portion of the Maryland law to be unconstitutional. Woollard is entitled to summary judgment. "

"A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered ―reasonably adapted‖ to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be. Maryland‘s goal of ―minimizing the proliferation of handguns among those who do not have a demonstrated need for them,‖ id. at 40, is not a permissible method of preventing crime or ensuring public safety; it burdens the right too broadly. "

"At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government‘s to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."

Just got the e-mail today...man this is good news

“A citizen may not be required to offer a `good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights,” he wrote. “The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg wrote.

Amen.

Thats awesome news Farmhood! Thanks for posting that.
I bet the MDSP are going nuts.

I dont mean to be a party pooper, but Im sure the left wing MD politicians and the MD State Police are looking for other ways to restrictive CHL's in the state.

Im willing to bet that the MD leadership would even go as far as not allowing anyone to get a CHL for any reason.
Sorta like Washington DC and Illinois.

The state has appealed to the 4th circuit and asked for a stay. I doubt they will get it because they must prove the decision harms them. Not hardly.

The state has appealed to the 4th circuit and asked for a stay. I doubt they will get it because they must prove the decision harms them. Not hardly.

So MDSP will issue just Woollard a permit and return to business as usual. They may change the application but their "goals" will remain the same. Wish I were wrong.

The judge's ruling certainly is NOT news to us here. We not only knew it all along, but it is clearly the intention of the 2nd Amendment. My question to us is this... WHY do we need permission to exercise what is an undisputable RIGHT??? If the state has the authority to tell us whether and when we can keep and bare our arms, then it's a privilege, not a right. We need to stop being wimps, dammit!
Heck, I'd like to see lawful gun owners orchestrate a gun owners "occupy" the state capitol... with our guns in tow. (maybe not loaded, for this purpose)
Who's game?

The judge's ruling certainly is NOT news to us here. We not only knew it all along, but it is clearly the intention of the 2nd Amendment. My question to us is this... WHY do we need permission to exercise what is an undisputable RIGHT??? If the state has the authority to tell us whether and when we can keep and bare our arms, then it's a privilege, not a right. We need to stop being wimps, dammit!
Heck, I'd like to see lawful gun owners orchestrate a gun owners "occupy" the state capitol... with our guns in tow. (maybe not loaded, for this purpose)
Who's game?

Please do not do this. While I agree with you, the way the police have treated UNARMED peaceful protesters has been violent, deadly, and appalling. If you bring guns into the mix, they will not be using pepper spray and rubber bullets to stop the protest, besides this those who are arrested will be stripped of their privilege to bear arms due to our justice system being horribly corrupt and broken at the moment. The news will spin you all as some fanatical gun nuts and use it as ammunition to show how "crazy gun people are". They will make some **** up about how someone was waving their gun around or whatever and the truth will not matter.

Instead I would recommend doing what many other states have done and has worked well, start a militia of law abiding owners. Like VA's Citizens Defense League, an organization that supports the 2nd and brings the community together, they affect large areas and VA and have done a lot of good. People like these help keep Virginia law as free and fair as it is with respect to firearms. If we can start many organizations like this, and dispel the untruths about gun owners in doing so the laws will come naturally. We will have to fight for it, but now when we finally have this small victory after 36 years of oppression is not the time to protest, it is a time to celebrate. We are not doing enough to befriend the community and teach them with a calm tone and kind hand even while they sceam and kick. Now is the time to show the state we are good people with good intentions. That we are responsible with our lives and our guns. Regardless of our beliefs marching around washington demanding our rights will get us nowhere, as evidenced with the occupy movement. The gov has become too corrupt for peaceful protests to be effective, we must target our own communities, friends, and families so that every single citizen will speak on our behalf whenever they try to infringe on our rights.

I moved to Florida from MD. in 1987. I own a gun school In Florida and have a 2ndAmendment Radio show on Sunday Nights at 7:00 EST called the BULLSEYE and we will be discussing this week what this Judges ruling means to law abiding citizens. If this sticks it will be a far reaching changing of state gun laws. I left MD because of their liberal anti gun laws. Here in Fla. we have a more logical set of laws when it comes to our second amendment rights. Hopefully Congress will pass HR 922 for National Reciprocity so that I can go back and visit MD again.

Please do not do this. While I agree with you, the way the police have treated UNARMED peaceful protesters has been violent, deadly, and appalling. If you bring guns into the mix, they will not be using pepper spray and rubber bullets to stop the protest, besides this those who are arrested will be stripped of their privilege to bear arms due to our justice system being horribly corrupt and broken at the moment. The news will spin you all as some fanatical gun nuts and use it as ammunition to show how "crazy gun people are". They will make some **** up about how someone was waving their gun around or whatever and the truth will not matter.

Instead I would recommend doing what many other states have done and has worked well, start a militia of law abiding owners. Like VA's Citizens Defense League, an organization that supports the 2nd and brings the community together, they affect large areas and VA and have done a lot of good. People like these help keep Virginia law as free and fair as it is with respect to firearms. If we can start many organizations like this, and dispel the untruths about gun owners in doing so the laws will come naturally. We will have to fight for it, but now when we finally have this small victory after 36 years of oppression is not the time to protest, it is a time to celebrate. We are not doing enough to befriend the community and teach them with a calm tone and kind hand even while they sceam and kick. Now is the time to show the state we are good people with good intentions. That we are responsible with our lives and our guns. Regardless of our beliefs marching around washington demanding our rights will get us nowhere, as evidenced with the occupy movement. The gov has become too corrupt for peaceful protests to be effective, we must target our own communities, friends, and families so that every single citizen will speak on our behalf whenever they try to infringe on our rights.

Tricky
In your first paragraph you talk of the police treating peaceful protestors unfairly which I agree with, but you don't make sense about the police not using pepper spray or rubber bullets if guns get in the mix. What I am hearing is that "responsible gun owners" will cause the police to use deadly force and this would lead to us losing our gun rights ..... WHAT GUN RIGHTS?
Responsible gun owners are not allowed to bring their guns Anywhere in this jacked up state!
The MD State of "they think they are always right" doesn't acknowledge the 2nd Amendment Period!!
We can't be stripped of something we don't have! And our Justice system is already corrupt guns or no guns.
You had/have great ideas in the second paragraph, communities should get together and stand for what is Right!

I just mailed my application to MSP on Monday morning. I had not heard about the Fed judge ruling yet.
I actually had all the documents to back up my "good and substantial reason", but seems that I really did not need it. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Probably will not know until summer.

I know the risks Tricky. The assertion of one's rights in the face of those intending to strip them is never an easy task, but if we don't then we are allowing the ones who are OUR government servants dictate to us what we can and cannot do in complete disregard of our founding documents' prohibition. I'm sick and tired of acting helpless.

I guarantee you if a significant number (1,000s) of lawful gun owners protested by actually asserting a right that our Constitution says the government has NO SAY in, something would have to change because they have NO LEGAL STANDING.

Hopefully every thing goes our way and we can get the state to start issuing permits in a timely manner.

MSP App

I just mailed my application to MSP on Monday morning. I had not heard about the Fed judge ruling yet.
I actually had all the documents to back up my "good and substantial reason", but seems that I really did not need it. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Probably will not know until summer.

I will have all the docs complete for application in about 3 weeks to support "good and substantial reason" very interested in your outcome

I really hope the attorney generals appeal does not work. I really cannot see any reason other than politics and corruption why this is even being appealed. I think rep McClintock said it best: "Overall, states with right to carry laws have over 22% lower crime rates, 30% lower murder rates, 26% lower robbery rates, and 12% lower aggravated assault rates as compared to the rest of the country. Indeed right to carry laws have been so successful that NO state has EVER rescinded one."

Msp

Craigzy1:287640 said:
Well they cashed my check on 3/8, but will surely be a while before I hear anything.

Well MSP has my application with G & S requirerment. Disappointed to hear some with out it have been returned. Let the wait begin.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back