Maryland Concealed Carry Permit

I will say again, if the cops get to you in 17 minutes, that is the equivalent of three rounds of UFC fighting. And you can't have Herb Dean stop the fight, nor do you get the two one minute rest periods durring that time. :wacko: Can you survive that type of beating? Possabily from multiple atackers? Unarmed?

I answer that question by carrying a gun.

The police have no duty to protect you either.

The Truth, It Just came Out: Do Police Have a Duty to Protect You?

Why?

You can bring your gun to Maryland, just stop in Virginia, lock your unloaded gun in the trunk with the ammo locked in your glove compartment, and drive straight to your father's house without stopping anywhere. Then you can do the same thing when you want to go to the range. Straight there and straight back. Maryland issues Carry Permits to over 90% of applicants. The part left out is that many people would apply but won't becausee it's a waste of time and money. And the permit is restricted to the times that you're actually doing what you stated you needed it for in your application. i.e.: If you're security, only at work/on duty. If your a businessman, only when carrying large sums of cash (We wouldn't want that poor money getting assaulted, it's valuable to the state, people aren't).

Why does she or I have to jump through those hoops. Take a close look at the application. I have to prove I have been threatened as a former corrections official to get the permit as a former prison worker. I have no access since I retired to the numerous misconduct reports I have written as inmates threatened me. I have a CCW in Pennsylvania issued by the sheriff of my county and jumped through his hoops. We need a national CCW. MD is infringing on my and your right to BEAR ARMS.

In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes. They also enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment. Link Removed

This is a direct quote from that case:"Respondent's amici report similar results in comparing the District's homicide rates during that period to that of the neighboring States of Maryland and Virginia (neither of which restricts handguns to the same degree), and to the homicide rate of the Nation as a whole. See Academics' Brief 11-17; Criminologists' Brief 6a, 8a."

In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits State and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.

Further Reading

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Link Removed

The Second Amentment Foundation has filed a suit in Federal District Court challenging MD's "good and substantial cause" policy used by the Maryland State Police in denying most permit requests.

Google Woolard vs Sheridan to get more info

things you guys are forgetting

I am from maryland born and bred.

You guys that are PRO carry are forgetting ONE HUGE thing about Marylanders.
MOST Marylanders are pretty much blind liberals.

Blind liberals do not think for themselves. They do/think whatever the liberal media / Oprah / Keith Olberman and ESPECIALLY AL Gore them to do/think. (ask them about global warming if you want to laugh your butt off for a while)

IF they used their brains they would actually READ the constitution and the discussion would be over. But they haven't and won't read it. The Constitution is like kryptonite to a liberal.

If they had brains they would understand that creating all these anti gun laws only hurts (wait for it.........waaaait for it) only hurts THE PEOPLE WHO FOLLOW RULES!!!!!! The last time I checked.... MURDERERS, RAPISTS, MUGGERS or (insert violent crime here) DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!!!
What mugger or murderer says I would go murder someone today but I can't since I am not allowed to have a permit to carry. really? do people REALLY believe this happens?

If they used their brains they would REALIZE that DC is NOT the safest city in the world. It would seem that if the system WORKED that DC would be the safest city in the world. It isn't by a longshot. If you can't own a gun in dc.... how are people still getting shot? Ok ok ok, the guns must be coming in from va and pa right? Well we should eliminate guns throughout the whole country then no one will be able to get them. THEN we'll be safe. I mean....Drugs are illegal throughout the land and of course no one has any drugs, right????? How can they? They are illegal......right?

There is a theme here. The only people that get hurt by these laws are rule followers. And WHY on EARTH is anyone afraid of getting shot by rule followers? You say your not afraid of getting shot by law abiding, rule followers eh? Then why can't we, the rule followers, carry guns? The criminals STILL CARRY EVERY DAY. How nice for them.

And the down side to that is if you get caught you'll probably never carry legally in any state again.

(I'm looking forward to leaving Maryland in the next few yeas too!)

Rick

The thing is folks, we HAVE a RIGHT to Keep AND Bear Arms...the Government is reminded of that in the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. So tell me, is it really a RIGHT when someone else can tell you when, how and IF you can exercise it?
You either HAVE the right or you don't. Clearly we do. I will NOT ask permission to exercise mine.

I've just read this entire thread... particular attention to Supertrooper who is a Superwrong Statist if ever there was one. I was a Marylander. Retired Navy and a cop to boot. The MD 'permit' is an LCH (License to Carry a Handgun), not CCW or LTCF. It does not restrict the bearer to concealed carry only. The permit is to carry a handgun.... in any manner. This permit system was instituted via gubanatorial edict in 1972 by Gov Marvin Mandel (D). There was no permit required to carry a handgun prior to 1972 openly. Since the Superintendent of the MSP is appointed by the Gov... it was simple matter for him to direct the MSP to insert a 'show cause' caveat into the concealed permit system and include any mode of carry. Mandel did this in response to the riots of '68. RKBA was omitted in the MD Bill of Rights during ther Constitutional Convention of 1867 for racial reasons. The MDGA did not want former slaves owning guns. This was in advance of the adoption of 14th Amendment (which MD voted against). Mandel recently admitted in an interview that he continued to carry a handgun in his pocket minus the very permit that he himself had instituted. This kind'a politician should surprise nobody in MD.

Now... in Arizona, I carry whatever I want... pretty much wherever I want at anytime. It's like putting on your pants. 'Been the norm here for over 100 years with a few temporary exceptions here 'n there. I'll never return to MD... not even to visit. 'Whole 'nuther mindset goin' on there.

I wonder how long it will take for the criminally pre-disposed to realize that the safest place to apply their trade is the "almost non-issue" states such as Maryland and New Jersey? I feel like we are being corralled into a “soft underbelly” for criminals. Are there any statistics gurus out there who might uncover such a trend? Do certain types of crimes decrease in states where CCW permits are more likely to be issued? Do they increase in states where they are not?

Trust me the crime rate in MD is higher than reported, and criminals flock here to try their luck. The police force is gigantic, and all corrupt. They want your money, not your safety. They want your compliance, not your protest. Have fun trying to have a normal convo regarding firearms with any cop here. You will be made to feel like a criminal, you will not win the argument. You may be like me and get a bogus ticket to go along with your "disrespectful attitude" for stating your opinion.

Fortunately for them the citizens of MD are too passive to take the "shall not be infringed" part as seriously as it should be taken. They will also lock you up and find you guilty of pretty much anything, for pretty much any reason. Id just stay far away folks. If you value your record, and your permits. VA is right next door afterall. It also happens to be awesome for the most part.

When I got arrested in Baltimore Co., they said that that the NICS said I had applied for a MD LTC when I haven't done so, let alone pay the $70 and submit a fingerprint card.

Trust me the crime rate in MD is higher than reported, and criminals flock here to try their luck. The police force is gigantic, and all corrupt. They want your money, not your safety. They want your compliance, not your protest. Have fun trying to have a normal convo regarding firearms with any cop here. You will be made to feel like a criminal, you will not win the argument. You may be like me and get a bogus ticket to go along with your "disrespectful attitude" for stating your opinion.

Fortunately for them the citizens of MD are too passive to take the "shall not be infringed" part as seriously as it should be taken. They will also lock you up and find you guilty of pretty much anything, for pretty much any reason. Id just stay far away folks. If you value your record, and your permits. VA is right next door afterall. It also happens to be awesome for the most part.

What you posted is sad, but true.

I grew up in Maryland and even if you have a friendly discussion with a friend in a restaurant about firearms, people around you will look at you as thought you are a terrorists.

Any discussion of firearms in public will get you nasty looks and vicious comments.

Talking with the police about guns is even worse and will most likely result in the search of your vehicle (yes, it happened to me).

Now, in the western part of the state and on the eastern shore its entirely different and more gun friendly.

I haven't regretted moving out of Maryland for one second.
And I dont miss it at all.

However, I do miss the Chesapeake Bay from time to time.

But having the basic human right of self defense is far more important to me.

I can open carry with no permit and all the police do wen they see me is say "hi".

im new here, just checking to see if anyone knows of any upcoming legislation that may finally fix maryland cc issue

Maryland Concealed Carry legislation

There is currently no legislation in the Maryland legislature. That will start in January, usually anti 2nd amendment BS. There is however, a lawsuit, Woolard v Sheridan, making it's way to the Supreme Court (SCOTUS), challenging Maryland's "May Issue" policy. It is being supported by the Second Amendment Foundation. Another weaker case, Williams v Maryland (I think), which was turned away.

Meredith Emerson was trained and managed to disarm her attacker twice. "She almost beat me" he said. He nabbed her 1/1/2008 hiking with her dog in a Georgia State Park. Instead he drove her around for 3 days raping her and trying to use her ATM card. One account says he waved to a passing cop shortly before he tied her to a tree, caved her skull in and dumped her nude headless body in the woods. He was caught when an alert citizen called police saying that "the guy you've been looking for in the disappearance of that girl is across the street cleaning out a van like the one you've been looking for." Caught red handed with the DNA, he confessed in return for no death penalty. His name is Gary Hilton. Thank goodness she wasn't carrying a gun or there would have been blood in the streets. The police did such a great job of protecting her. She shouldn't be going to dangerous places like the state park. I guess you've never heard of disparity of force. Doesn't matter if they're not armed. If you are a trooper, I'm the President of the US.

I wonder how long it will take for the criminally pre-disposed to realize that the safest place to apply their trade is the "almost non-issue" states such as Maryland and New Jersey? I feel like we are being corralled into a “soft underbelly” for criminals. Are there any statistics gurus out there who might uncover such a trend? Do certain types of crimes decrease in states where CCW permits are more likely to be issued? Do they increase in states where they are not?

I finally escaped safely to VA & now have a resident permit. Unfortunately I have to still travel to MD on a regular basis. The state politically is controlled by 3 jurisdictions, PG & Montgomery counties, & Baltimore city. These three places are the land of the screaming liberal that feel that the government should control their lives & that the government owes them something. Along with that Montgomery County has a majority Hispanic population that for the most part is made up of illegal immigrants (go figure, Maryland is a sanctuary state!). It is going to be a long time before anything in Maryland changes for the better.

You may be too stupid to carry a concealed weapon. You would not know.

There are too many stupid people that own guns. I have never owned a gun, but I would wager all my life savings that I could read an owners guide, and clean a weapon, with zero percent chance of shooting myself. How does that happen? Stupidity. We don't want stupid people roaming around with concealed weapons. Give me a smart crook any time.

There are too many stupid people that own guns. I have never owned a gun, but I would wager all my life savings that I could read an owners guide, and clean a weapon, with zero percent chance of shooting myself. How does that happen? Stupidity. We don't want stupid people roaming around with concealed weapons. Give me a smart crook any time.

Wow, thank you for that bit of wisdom. You sound really intelligent and well-informed. I'll bet you have like what, $100 in life savings?

Smart Criminals

It is not your ability to NOT shoot yourself that determines if you should carry a concealed weapon. Next you will want to argue that "smart criminals" will not hurt you. That is just another form of criminal thinking that rationalizes their behavior. You forget there are other factors involved such as coldheartedness, entitlement, irresponsibility, power and control, as well as justification that influence criminal thinking.

It is the responsibility of the gun owner to use desecration in the use of force that the criminal will not use. While there is no studies correlating IQ and criminality, sociopaths are good at finding others weaknesses and then exploiting them.

"Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

The criminally disposed already understand this. The disparity between crime in MD and VA is clear when you look at the FBI's Uniform Crime Report(FBI — Table 4)

Table 4
Crime in the United States

by Region, Geographic Division, and State, 2009–2010:
.............#per 100,000
Jurisdiction 2009 2010 %change
US...........431.9 403.6 -6.5
DC..........1,348.9 1,330.2 -1.4
MD............590.0 547.7 -7.2
VA............230.8 213.6 -7.5

Wow, thank you for that bit of wisdom. You sound really intelligent and well-informed. I'll bet you have like what, $100 in life savings?

Nope - much more than that, pistol Pete. But the serious issue is that we can regard people carrying concealed weapons as criminals, except in special cases.

There are as many fantasies as there are people, and in reality, it's just a fantasy that your handgun will protect you. It may actually, unless you're the kind of dope that shoots himself while cleaning a gun. Or it may occasionally kill some child that gets a hold of it.

So go ahead and have your fantasy. What do you think are the realistic odds that you will be able to use your gun to save yourself or someone else when you really need it? Think about that as you get older, if you do.

Nope - much more than that, pistol Pete. But the serious issue is that we can regard people carrying concealed weapons as criminals, except in special cases.

There are as many fantasies as there are people, and in reality, it's just a fantasy that your handgun will protect you. It may actually, unless you're the kind of dope that shoots himself while cleaning a gun. Or it may occasionally kill some child that gets a hold of it.

So go ahead and have your fantasy. What do you think are the realistic odds that you will be able to use your gun to save yourself or someone else when you really need it? Think about that as you get older, if you do.

When I consider how many people are hurt or killed annually by citizen gun owners vs how many people are hurt or killed annually by criminals, and how many times every year citizen gun owners protect themselves from said criminals.... I'll take my fantasy over yours any time. Good luck with that.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back