Maryland Concealed Carry Permit

No I did not. I simply used "self defense and all lawful purposes" as my reason to carry. They cashed my check and MSP has stated they are awaiting Judge Legg's ruling before prrocessing apps received between 3-2 and 3-30. Apps received after 3-30 were returned with a letter telling the applicants to either reapply with G & S or wait until the Judge rules.

check out

Maryland Shooters

Several excellent threads on all of this. You should also check out

Maryland Shall Issue - The Citizens Defense League of Maryland

OK it finally came. what a long project. My CCP came in the mail today with some minor restrictions but this is good. So I applied on 4/23
had my interview on 5/7 then in my hand on 6/16. The next hurdle for Maryland is to become a shall issue state then the renewal will be much different.

Thats Great! I am curious as to what restrictions thay put on you. How do they decide on when to restrict your carry privelage?

Between residence business and bank with any combination thereof, this is typical of Maryland restricted permit.
Hard to get a totally unrestricted unless you go your route Craigzy1 in which case this was not an option for me.
But the part for me that works is the consulting aspect, and this happens all hours. So now renewal with us going “shall issue” is our next hope.

I'm going for the multi state CCW or CCP whatever the other states call theirs, most likely FL because I have all the requirements in place. Swinokur I got like Craigzy1 and started to doubt it was going to happen.
It is a big adjustment all the things you need to pay attention to, I had to get a vehicle safe for the different places when the only option was to disarm...

I have finally gotten pretty comfortable with it. It took a few weeks to get over the paranoid feeling that people were staring. I use a Blackhawk IWB and it does not show at all even with my Glock 26, but I just got a S&W Bodygaurd.380, and with an IWB it is undetectable. You will now go through the obsessive holster buying to find what you like best. I have bought 4 in the last 3 weeks and probably will get more. The winter time will give alot more optons on carrying. It is a good feeling, enjoy it and as always be safe.

Holsters

Same here on everything, but LOL on the holsters, I'm up to 3. I'm trying the Smartcarry deep conceal during the day and Remora IWB evenings. So far this is working.

Hey I just got an e-mail from MSI saying "The stay has been lifted" if this holds with no appeal by the state of Maryland to the fourth Circuit Court it will mean we will become a shall issue state instead of may issue. No more stupid and unconstitutional good and substantial clause just to get a permit to Conceal carry. WOW this must be the end times when MD moves from Lib to non Lib....well sorta

Maryland State Police Press Release
07/25/2012 05:01

STATEMENT RE: MOST RECENT RULING IN MD HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT CASE
(PIKESVILLE, MD) -- The Maryland State Police will comply with state law and the ruling of the courts as the state moves forward on appeal. The most recent ruling in this case, issued July 23, 2012, takes effect 14 days from the date of issuance. In the interim, the State Police will follow existing state law and will apply the standard of good and substantial reason to the review of handgun carry permit applications. We will continue to be guided by legal counsel from the Office of the Attorney General regarding subsequent court action and how that will be applied to the investigation and issuance of handgun carry permits.

Greg Shipley
Spokesman

Don't forger the case is still on appeal to the 4CA and MD can still ask for another stay from the 4CA. It's not quite over yet.

"Federal judge lifts stay on gun permit ruling in Maryland

By Associated Press, Published: July 24AP
BALTIMORE — A federal judge has lifted a stay on his ruling that a portion of Maryland’s gun permit law is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Benson Legg’s decision late Monday means that in two weeks Maryland residents will be able to carry handguns without having to show a “good and substantial reason.”

After a review, Legg found that the state has not established that the public interest weighs in favor of a stay.

The Maryland attorney general’s office has filed a notice on plans to appeal the March ruling.

The case was brought by the Second Amendment Foundation in 2010."

Now, the question is if their reciprocity and recognition regulations will ever change too!

I just mailed my application to MSP on Monday morning. I had not heard about the Fed judge ruling yet.
I actually had all the documents to back up my "good and substantial reason", but seems that I really did not need it. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Probably will not know until summer.
Did you get yours? I applied and was "denied" with no reason given. I have sent my appeal letter . . . we will see what happens.

OK it finally came. what a long project. My CCP came in the mail today with some minor restrictions but this is good. So I applied on 4/23
had my interview on 5/7 then in my hand on 6/16. The next hurdle for Maryland is to become a shall issue state then the renewal will be much different.
I applied for mine but was "denied" without reason. I have sent my appeal letter . . . now it's wait and see.
Did your appeal take a long time? What were your reasons you gave?

"Federal judge lifts stay on gun permit ruling in Maryland

By Associated Press, Published: July 24AP
BALTIMORE — A federal judge has lifted a stay on his ruling that a portion of Maryland’s gun permit law is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Benson Legg’s decision late Monday means that in two weeks Maryland residents will be able to carry handguns without having to show a “good and substantial reason.”

After a review, Legg found that the state has not established that the public interest weighs in favor of a stay.

The Maryland attorney general’s office has filed a notice on plans to appeal the March ruling.

The case was brought by the Second Amendment Foundation in 2010."

Now, the question is if their reciprocity and recognition regulations will ever change too!
any updates on this???

4CA overturned Legg's ruling. SAF filed for CERT with SCOTUS. Denied. Our only hope is a circuit split elsewhere so another appeal might force SCOTUS to grant cert issue a ruling that would cover everyone. Not holding my breath.

I'm a Maryland resident with Non Resident CCW from Utah, Virginia and Florida. Can I get a non resident PA permit or is it overkill with the other three that I have? Thanks

PA will not issue a permit unless you have a home state permit first. You can still carry on your UT NR permit however.

I wonder how long it will take for the criminally pre-disposed to realize that the safest place to apply their trade is the "almost non-issue" states such as Maryland and New Jersey? I feel like we are being corralled into a “soft underbelly” for criminals. Are there any statistics gurus out there who might uncover such a trend? Do certain types of crimes decrease in states where CCW permits are more likely to be issued? Do they increase in states where they are not?

Check out the book "More Guns, Less Crime" (John Lott, author IIRC). It presents a study of crime rates in 3,000 US Counties, with the DATE OF "EXPANDED" CCW used as a "watershed" event. Dull read unless you're into statstics, but presents a fairly compelling case.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back