martial artists and firearms

boris

has anyone added martial arts to their self defense program, besides me and HK4U?

For many years...

Currently hold a 3 deg in Taekwondo and a 1 deg is Hapkido. But age has a way of sneaking up on you and kicks are not as fast and practice falls come with a LOT of advil.

oh, man...

hoplites, you are not wrong. i haven't been able to get much workout in recently because of work schdules, my autistic son, but as soon as i get over this latest gout attack...... I GOTTA GET AFTER IT!! i have a green belt in ninjutsu as taught by Robert Bussey. and as the years have gone by since i had to stop my direct training with RBWI, i have been able to add elements of JKD, jujitsu,and sambo. i am hoping to get into kenpo, perhaps after the first of the year.

I used to take Aikido a few years ago. Never got to far in it, but I did enjoy the exercise. It was relaxing also.

Thing is, I'll run away from any fight I can... I've got no pride as far as this is concerned. I'm a small guy and no amount of ninja training is gonna turn ishi into Rambo. I did like the way Aikido stresses unbalancing an attacker to create a way to escape.

:cool:

Martial Arts

I was a green belt in Kenpo Karate, under Ed Perry who separated from Ed Parker years ago. I was just preparing for my brown belt when my family occured... lol. Providing for the family that was growing meant more hours working and caring for the kids, so I had to give it up. I had intended to get back into it, but it never happened. One of the reasons I decided that CCW was a good idea, is cuz I realized age had snuck up on me, kicks weren't as good, and I can't even run away very fast anymore!:D So, as age and gravity catch up, the need for a weapon became evident.

. But age has a way of sneaking up on you and kicks are not as fast and practice falls come with a LOT of advil.

There is obviously a lot of flop over from other gun forums as this question was asked in another one.

+ 1 with Hoplites.

I was a Green belt in Shorei/Goju Karate and brown in Aikido. Now I have been defeated by a Black belt in Screwed up Spine and a Brown belt in anerism. :mad: It's not even gun or run. With my spine I can't run. I guess you all can figure out what's left. :D

Last edited:
Jc40

Before i moved to florida,eleven years ago,i had the priveledge of studying with a personal friend who was highly trained in several forms of martial arts and it was free,twice a week.He taught me Jeet Kune Do,Wing Chun Kung FU and Escrima.It was always a good time training because he made it fun and intresting so you wanted to come back and learn.Here in florida,i was taking Isshinryu karate and got to the level of blue belt before my three bad discks showed themselves and kind of put that on the back burner for a while.My next venture will be Akido.

Before i moved to florida,eleven years ago,i had the priveledge of studying with a personal friend who was highly trained in several forms of martial arts and it was free,twice a week.He taught me Jeet Kune Do,Wing Chun Kung FU and Escrima.It was always a good time training because he made it fun and intresting so you wanted to come back and learn.Here in florida,i was taking Isshinryu karate and got to the level of blue belt before my three bad discks showed themselves and kind of put that on the back burner for a while.My next venture will be Akido.

It was a bad back when ended Karate for me also. Aikido is fun, relaxing, not hard on the body, and can be a very effective defense technique.

I understand there are now several schools of Aikido. The one I studied was the one started by Master Morihei Ueshiba. Histop ranking 1oth Dan student was Koichi Tohei. I once had the pleasure of having him make me look like a fool in person. :eek::D

Jc40

I like akido and have been interested in it for a while now,just have to come up with the time and money to do so.There is a school close to me that is supposed to be a good one,and a friend of a friend has been going there for around 15 years now and speaks very highly of the school.i have even called the school myself to talk to the instructor myself and we ended up chatting for about an hour and he invited me to come in and observe any time i want to check out his school.It`s just finding the time mostly right now as the kids have to come first.

I have a 1st dan in Tang Soo Do (similar in ways to TKD) and have since studied some other martial arts. I don't consider firearms to be much different in principle from any other type of weapon. There's classes of bladed weapons, thrown weapons, stick weapons, and so on. Within those, there are more and more specialized groups - tanto, kubotan, short swords, long swords, multi-bladed daggers, etc. The same is true with guns - there's different sizes, calibers, classes and capabilities. The use of firearms is a modern martial art, and is probably the most equalizing of them all.

Just wait...in the 25th century, today's guns will be used in kungfu weapons classes, and the Brady Campaign Against Plasma Gun Violence will still be up to their old tricks.

toreshka...

right on!!! myself and hk4u studied under michael and robert bussey. i had studied jujitsu before that. there are no superior martial arts, just superior martial artists, and the same could be said about firearms. no better guns, bt better shooters.:cool:

Martial Arts

right on!!! myself and hk4u studied under michael and robert bussey. i had studied jujitsu before that. there are no superior martial arts, just superior martial artists, and the same could be said about firearms. no better guns, bt better shooters.:cool:

Those were the days Boris. These days I would be happy just to be able to walk for more than 20 min. without my knees hurting.

I should add, however, that the most useful martial art is prevention. That means not getting into bad situations to begin with, sensing danger when it occurs, and knowing how to expeditiously remove oneself (and others, if needed) from the situation. Going unnoticed is the best way, but a dramatic exit is sometimes needed. I know people talk about prevention all the time, but it's true, and often a subtly complex art.

Prevention has served me well, and so fortunately I have never had to actually put anything to the test in real life. I'm going to keep it that way for as long as possible. :)

Amen!

yeah, hk, those were good days!! i still count tat busted lip a highlight and it brngs a sil to my face!
tokresha, you bet. the first rule of self defene is to not allow yourself to get into situations where you might to shoot or fight. but always be ready....

I was a Uechi-Ryu karate student a loooooong time ago, but about a year ago I decided to take a "reality-based" martial art and have been taking Krav Maga for a little over a year. I am a Police Officer and not a very big guy (5'6" 140lbs) and I was wanting to learn something that would help give me an edge. I have learned quite a bit about defending against typical self defense encounters. Krav Maga teaches gun and knife disarming, defense against chokes, headlocks and bear-hugs and includes a little ground fighting (enough to hurt somebody, get off the ground and back into the fight!). For those of you who don't know about Krav Maga, it was developed in Israel and incorporates familiar concepts from Muay Tai, Ju-Jitsu, Judo and other "traditional" arts. Krav is more a self defense system rather than a martial art. You learn practical application techniques from day one. The class I go to is frequently a VERY workout in that we do a number of drills to build cardio and fighting muscles. The Israeli military teaches this combatives system to its troops.

On my opinion (developed from reading and speaking to martial artists), a combatives/self defense system is better suited for protecting yourself than a traditional martial art. My Krav Maga instructor is a black bet in Tae Kwn Do, was a wrestler in high school and college, has a lot of other training in other arts. He thinks his martial arts training is helpful but for somebody that wants to learn to defend themselves, Krav Maga is the best way to jump right into it!

I respect and admire all of you Martial Artists and your accomplishments.

For myself, I have practiced the Runa Way technique for quite some time with varying degrees of success. I am also adept at Shu Chu when the conditions are right. When caught behind the wheel of my car, where self defense technique options are necessarily limited due to the confined space, I can employ Runyu Ova or the technique of Stabyu, either of which can be devastating.

It's nice to have a variety of options at hand... :D ...Grasshoppers.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back