Man Sues Chicago Seafood Restaurant for Giving Him 9-Foot Tapeworm

HK4U

My question is did he know the fish was raw and if so who made him eat it raw.

Link Removed

Man Sues Chicago Seafood Restaurant for Giving Him 9-Foot Tapeworm
Tuesday, August 19, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

CHICAGO — A man who contends he got a 9-foot tapeworm after eating undercooked fish is suing a Chicago restaurant.

In a lawsuit filed Monday, Anthony Franz says he ordered salmon salad for lunch from Shaw's Crab House in 2006 and fell violently ill. He later passed the giant parasite, which a pathologist determined came from undercooked fish, such as salmon.

Franz's lawsuit seeks $100,000 from Shaw's and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises.

Franz claims the restaurant's staff was negligent in serving him improperly cooked fish.

But Carrol Symank, president of food safety for Lettuce Entertain You, says the tapeworm didn't come from Shaw's Crab House.

"We have done a thorough investigation and we're confident the restaurant is not the source," he said.

According to the Web site mayoclinic.com, tapeworms can measure up to 50 feet long.

But Carrol Symank, president of food safety for Lettuce Entertain You, says the tapeworm didn't come from Shaw's Crab House

They have no tapeworms but you can ge the crabs.

Last edited:
In this day and age, I don't see how food can make it out of the slaughterhouse (or in this case, wherever fish go before they're shipped out) with tapeworms in them.

I eat raw fish all the time. Never had a problem with tape worms or any other parasites. We do have leeches tha t often create a bunch of silly laws, but that's another story for another day.

gf

I eat raw fish all the time. Never had a problem with tape worms or any other parasites. We do have leeches tha t often create a bunch of silly laws, but that's another story for another day.

gf

You're a helluva lot bolder than I am. I don't eat animal flesh of any kind unless it's cooked all the way through. No rare or medium cooked animal flesh for me!

ok this guy should take up fishing........he has a built in bait dispenser!!

It's beem well over 30 years. Never got sick. I enjoy my steak "extra rare".

gf
+1 I ate a lot of raw fish when I was stationed in Guam. Nothing like a slice of just caught fish! I also like my steak to squirm a little when I cut it! Warm on the surface cold and raw in the center. Also the more blood in it the better. Soak it up in bread and Mmmm, Mmmm good!

+1 I ate a lot of raw fish when I was stationed in Guam. Nothing like a slice of just caught fish! I also like my steak to squirm a little when I cut it! Warm on the surface cold and raw in the center. Also the more blood in it the better. Soak it up in bread and Mmmm, Mmmm good!

Yuck! For me, nothing like meat that is cooked all the way through.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I'm not sure whether to blame the food not being cooked all the way, or the inspectors who didn't catch the tapeworm in the fish before distributing it. I suppose that if rare or uncooked is how you like your food, then tapeworms are something you shouldn't have to worry about. I, however, will never have that problem because if it's not cooked all the way through, I won't be eating it.

Yuck! For me, nothing like meat that is cooked all the way through.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I'm not sure whether to blame the food not being cooked all the way, or the inspectors who didn't catch the tapeworm in the fish before distributing it. I suppose that if rare or uncooked is how you like your food, then tapeworms are something you shouldn't have to worry about. I, however, will never have that problem because if it's not cooked all the way through, I won't be eating it.

Many cultures eat raw meat and seafood. It's a matter of knowing what you're eating and how to eat it. Think about it, were there any "health inspectors" centuries ago in Japan? Don't think there was anyone in charge of checking out the foods tha the Native Americans consumed. You're in the middle of nowhere and you need to eat. You're going to do what you have to do to prepare food the best you can so that it can be safely consumed.

I've been eating raw fish as far back as I can remember. My son has been eating raw fish and very rare meat since he was 2 years old. No problems so far. I've seen worse problems with folks eating some of them processed foods. Las night on the news they announced that "Hot Pockets" are being recalled due to some food borne contaminant.

gf

Many cultures eat raw meat and seafood. It's a matter of knowing what you're eating and how to eat it. Think about it, were there any "health inspectors" centuries ago in Japan? Don't think there was anyone in charge of checking out the foods tha the Native Americans consumed. You're in the middle of nowhere and you need to eat. You're going to do what you have to do to prepare food the best you can so that it can be safely consumed.

I've been eating raw fish as far back as I can remember. My son has been eating raw fish and very rare meat since he was 2 years old. No problems so far. I've seen worse problems with folks eating some of them processed foods. Las night on the news they announced that "Hot Pockets" are being recalled due to some food borne contaminant.

gf

I'm sure you're right, however, I'm wondering what changed between then and now. Or did anything really change? Were tapeworm cases just a commonplace then as they are now?

Live tapeworms were actually sold as a weight loss product back in the early 1900's.

worms.jpg

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back