Man Shoots Self In Leg Defending Car

KimberPB

Ok here is another "accidental shooting." I figured I'd post this because it's a good "what if" scenario. So pick apart what this guy did right/wrong and what you would have done in the same scenario.

Link Removed
A man shot himself in the leg about 6 a.m. today as he wrestled with someone trying to break into his car in St. Petersburg, said George Kajtsa of the St. Petersburg Police Department.

Kajtsa said a man at 10265 Gandy Boulevard heard his car alarm and saw a man trying to break into the vehicle. He grabbed his gun and confronted the man, and as they wrestled over the gun the car owner was shot in the leg, Kajtsa said.

Though wounded, he kept the intruder there and called police, who arrested the intruder, Kajtsa said.

No further details were available

Wouldn't even consider doing that in MI. Property crimes just don't count. The fact that he had to make an effort, (i.e. wasn't in the car), doesn't in my mind sit well. Criminal or not, taking a life over 'stuff' isn't an equal equation IMOP. I may get some heat from this stance but it's mine. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to intervene, but I hope I wouldn't make the mistake of getting that close in proximaty to the perp if armed.

Well the first thing that I would not do is shoot myself in the leg. If they had to wrestling for the gun he allowed the guy to get to close to him. That is why you have a gun, so that you do not have to get up close and personal.

Wouldn't even consider doing that in MI. Property crimes just don't count. The fact that he had to make an effort, (i.e. wasn't in the car), doesn't in my mind sit well. Criminal or not, taking a life over 'stuff' isn't an equal equation IMOP. I may get some heat from this stance but it's mine. I'm not saying I wouldn't try to intervene, but I hope I wouldn't make the mistake of getting that close in proximaty to the perp if armed.

My instructor taught the class to go armed, but not pointed. Keep your gun in your hand, but behind your back. From about 10 yards scream out, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" If they turn & run, you've done your deed. Call the police. If they rush you, POOOL ZEE TREEGOR OOONTEEL EET GOES "CLEEEEEK". The perp just changed from another break-in artist to an attacker.

Yeah I agree. There is no reason the thief should have been that close to 'wrestle with the guy.' I would have pointed the gun at the perp and ordered him on the ground. If he ran or drove off in my car, then call the police and hope he's caught.

The article reads:

Police found Richard X. Summers,39, wounded in the upper leg and holding down 18-year-old Marlos M. Conrad.

Kajtsa said Conrad, of 3801 W. Wallace Ave., Tampa, followed Summers' fiancé into their housing complex at 10265 Gandy Boulevard while she was driving a GMC Yukon Denali. She exited the SUV, someone tripped the alarm and she yelled for Summers.

Police say Summers, armed with a handgun, confronted Conrad inside the SUV. They struggled and the gun went off.

I will give him the handgun based on the fact that his fiance was yelling for him. Once he knew she was alright the gun should have disappeared from sight.

The perp inside of the vehicle when he confronted him. He should have never gotten that close.

I'm glad he only got shot in the leg. As others have said you never want to get into a fist fight while you are armed. If you do, you may not be armed and your opponent may be.

My instructor taught the class to go armed, but not pointed. Keep your gun in your hand, but behind your back. From about 10 yards scream out, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" If they turn & run, you've done your deed. Call the police. If they rush you, POOOL ZEE TREEGOR OOONTEEL EET GOES "CLEEEEEK". The perp just changed from another break-in artist to an attacker.

sounds like a good way to gidder done

My state WA is a castle doctrine state it is also a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. You have a right to defend your life and your property. I would go out with my sights on the perp. That way he would be looking down the barrel of my 45 and he could then decide if he wanted to make a run for it. I would not shoot him in the back but I would want him to know I had the drop on him and he wasn't going to get away with what he was doing. I would also not approach with in 5 yards. Making the wrestling match unnessesary.

Ok here is another "accidental shooting." I figured I'd post this because it's a good "what if" scenario. So pick apart what this guy did right/wrong and what you would have done in the same scenario.

Link Removed
A man shot himself in the leg about 6 a.m. today as he wrestled with someone trying to break into his car in St. Petersburg, said George Kajtsa of the St. Petersburg Police Department.

Kajtsa said a man at 10265 Gandy Boulevard heard his car alarm and saw a man trying to break into the vehicle. He grabbed his gun and confronted the man, and as they wrestled over the gun the car owner was shot in the leg, Kajtsa said.

Though wounded, he kept the intruder there and called police, who arrested the intruder, Kajtsa said.

No further details were available

First question from prosecutor: "Why didn't you call 911 from the safety of your home"?

Deadly force is not warranted because someone is breaking into your car.

Just my 2cents

It sounds like he got vastly overconfident because of the fact that he was holding a gun, and did not realize that the perp would become aggressive. Well, he screwed up because he didn't anticipate the perp's even greater stupidity. Criminals aren't in their profession because of making good decisions - they tend to continue the trend of doing stupid things, like attack even in the face of possible death.

A gun is by nature a distance weapon, so use it like one. If a suspect is being held at gunpoint, there's no need to get close to them. Everyone can sit and wait until the cops show up.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back