Man on Bike Kills Teen Who Pushed Him Off

I was just about to post this story. The shooter is 65 and therefore a "senior citizen" in the eyes of the law. The man claimed the 3 teens were assaulting him. It's a real shame but seems like a righteous shoot to me, at least according to the letter of the law.

Uote]

Here is another recent article with (I think a better headline...

Link Removed

Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say

A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said.

The Berks County coroner's office did not release the name of the boy who was killed, saying only that he was a 16-year-old from the city. Officials said his mother asked them to give her time to notify relatives before releasing his name.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:17 p.m. by Deputy Coroner Jonn M. Hollenbach. An autopsy is scheduled this afternoon in Reading Hospital.

The other teen, who was shot once, was taken to Reading Hospital. Police did not release his name. Information on his condition could not be obtained.

A third teen, identified only as a 15-year-old boy, was stopped at the scene by police and taken in for questioning. He was later committed to the county youth center in Bern Township on unspecified charges.

Authorities also did not release the name of the man, who was not charged.

Police said the shooting occurred shortly before 11 on the Thun Trail near the Schuylkill River pedestrian bridge between Reading and West Reading.

According to investigators:

The man was riding his bicycle on the trail near the Bertolet Fishing Dock at South First Avenue and Chestnut Street in West Reading.

The teens knocked the man off his bicycle, and two of them assaulted him.

The man pulled out a handgun and shot them both.

Someone flagged down a passer-by in the 200 block of Riverfront Drive near Reading Area Community College.

Within minutes officers from the city, West Reading, Cumru Township, state police and the Berks County sheriff's office were at the scene. They found the dead boy on a sliver of land that is part of Cumru at the end of the pedestrian bridge.

District Attorney John T. Adams responded with detectives from the county's forensic services unit.

After consulting with Adams, police decided to release the man and charge the juvenile.

Cumru police ask anyone with information to call 610-777-9595.

(Reporter Steven Henshaw contributed to this story.)

Contact Jason A. Kahl: 610-371-5024 or [email protected].

Looks to me like they'd have been better off staying in school instead of going to the park to assault people.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That's why we carry. Its sad they were teens but he had to defend himself the headline sucks & is IMO anti self defense.

Have you seen the size of a lot of male teens today, versus the size/abilities of an older person? There is no way senior citizens can protect themselves against some of these "full-grown" teens who mean to do harm, without a concealed weapon. I hate to say it, but they got what they deserved.

Just reading the headline, I would have been somewhat dubious. But they did more than just push him down. They also proceeded to attempt to rob him, actions which show an individual might be primed for something more. Plus, three against one just isn't fair.

I think a lot will depend on the 65-year-old's physical condition, and the degree of premeditation on the part of the boys. But, so far, from where I'm sitting, it looks to be self-defense.

A friend of mine was 61 years old when three teens confronted him on the street. They asked him what he was looking at. He said "nothing". They responded, "so you think we're nothing?"

He never had a chance to say anything else. They beat him and left him for dead.

Luckily someone saw the end of it and the ambulance got him in time. He was in intensive care for 3 weeks. I don't know what all happened to him, he doesn't want to talk about it. I got the info from his wife.

He was out of work for almost 6 months and they had to live off their savings and pay a lot of medical bills.

The assailants were not caught. They probably went on to terrorize someone else.

I often wonder how this could have turned out different.

If he had pulled a weapon would that have stopped the attack allowing him to go on his way?

Would a warning shot have caused them to have second thoughts?

Would my friend have had to shoot one of them?

If he did, what state would that leave him in in comparison to the state of mind he lives in now?

Lots of questions. No answers. No one can possibly know.

I was also surprised with the headline. It does sound a little anti-gun which is weird that Fox News would do that. But I guess it comes down to whatever sells.

I feel he was in fear for his life and had the right to take the needed action to defend his safety and his life.
Now if this had happened in my crime infested cow town Tulsa,Oklahoma USA. I am sure the man would be quickly arrested and our firearm hating Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris would quickly file charges against him.
But I commend this man in Pa for taking this action.

I think ... Don't go F#@ckin with old people! Especially one packin a heater. Idiots should know the rules before they play that game.
Criminal rules for DUMMIES:
1)Before commiting a crime, accept the possiblity that you may die.
2)Old people don't give a **** and will hurt you quicker than SCAT!
3)Rules don't mean squat when the victim is packin.
4)If these simple rules don't give you pause then you deserve to be shot and I for one will gladly accomodate.

Good for the old guy! Glad he wasn't hurt.

From what I have read, sounds like a good shoot to me, older man, out numbered and assulted prior to shooting. Up to no good got no good. Works for me.

The criminal's death is a consequence of the criminal's behavior.

Mr. 65-year old's health and well being is a consequence of Mr. 65-year old's behavior.

The headline should have read: "Teen commits suicide while trying to assault senior citizen."

or graduate from the Rich_S class of litigation prevention.

vxcfh4_th.jpg

I think ... Don't go F#@ckin with old people! Especially one packin a heater. Idiots should know the rules before they play that game.
Criminal rules for DUMMIES:
1)Before commiting a crime, accept the possiblity that you may die.
2)Old people don't give a **** and will hurt you quicker than SCAT!
3)Rules don't mean squat when the victim is packin.
4)If these simple rules don't give you pause then you deserve to be shot and I for one will gladly accomodate.

Good for the old guy! Glad he wasn't hurt.

I like your list. Don't mess with old people and I'm getting older by the day. LOL

I was a bad kid. But I was taught to respect my elders. I left old ppl along. = Good. Parents lost there kids for bringin them up wrong

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back