Man down at Boise, ID. Gunrange

DLeeHarley

Hello all, My name is Dennis and I am a new member on this site. At the range I frequent in Boise (Impact Guns) it's just been reported that a man has died from a gunshot wound. At first it was reported as a Suicide, but now they are saying there were no witnesses. I was shooting there 2 days ago (Wed. the 21st.) and they have CCTV cameras everywhere so they do know what has happened. I understand lots of people are unstable and I do feel for his family but I can't help but think of the possible repercussions of this act. The Brady Bunch types will now be saying we shouldn't allow places to rent firearms because of acts like this. Am I wrong to be thinking this way? I do feel kind of guilty to be thinking about things like this instead of a man taking his own life, but I can't help it.
Thanks,

Hello all, My name is Dennis and I am a new member on this site. At the range I frequent in Boise (Impact Guns) it's just been reported that a man has died from a gunshot wound. At first it was reported as a Suicide, but now they are saying there were no witnesses. I was shooting there 2 days ago (Wed. the 21st.) and they have CCTV cameras everywhere so they do know what has happened. I understand lots of people are unstable and I do feel for his family but I can't help but think of the possible repercussions of this act. The Brady Bunch types will now be saying we shouldn't allow places to rent firearms because of acts like this. Am I wrong to be thinking this way? I do feel kind of guilty to be thinking about things like this instead of a man taking his own life, but I can't help it.
Thanks,

Dennis, it certainly is unfortunate that this person felt this was the only way out, you would have to agree while the avalability of then gun didn't help, if a person is truly bent on harming themselfs, gun or no gun they would find a way to do it

There have been several gun range suicides, accidents and murders over the years all through the country. Two happened up here in Washington. The Brady Bunch already skews firearms related violence and deaths by including suicides into their figures, so it would not surprise me that they would use incidents like this as a platform to further their dying cause.

Although firearms are the "preferred" method of suicide according to the numbers, gun or no gun, people that want to die will find a way. Cars are actually easier to kill yourself with, you dont need a background check, and you can rent them too. All you need to do is swerve into the opposite lane or off a cliff. Brady Bunch might say that renting guns should be illegal at ranges, but that (like everything they do) would be pointless.

If that same person rented a high rise hotel room and then jumped off, should balconies be banned? if he rented a car and drove off a cliff, what then? or if he took skydiving lessons and one day just decided not to open his chute? this reminds me of the mother and son who went shooting at a range and the mother (who had a history of mental illness, so we hear) shot her son when he was in the lane. all caught on camera. people are going to do ridiculous things no matter what. sure, i hear what you're saying. the anti-gun crowd will take any reason they can to pi** and moan about whatever as long as it suits their agenda. so, yes, there will be people who say this could have been avoided by not allowing people to rent firearms. you're not wrong in thinking that. (and the feeling guilty over worrying about that instead of the guy himself? you have the capacity to have compassion while still looking out for your rights, nothing wrong there.) the people who make their living scraping people off of pavement after they jump off buildings would just have that much more work. while we're at it, let's ban razor blades and knives. more people kill themselves that way than with guns.

of course, if it turns out to be an accident rather than a suicide, then yeah, there's gonna be a stink raised. i know that the range i go to has range officers and they are GREAT about keeping a trained eye on novices and experienced shooters alike. if there's an investigation, that's where they should be looking: responsible staff. not so much the commercial renting of firearms.

Last edited:
At this writing, I have not heard anything verifying whether it was suicide or accidental. I have only heard that it is believed to be self inflicted. Either way, it sucks. If suicide, sad that this person felt that way. If accidental, very sad that it happened. Prayers out to the family either way.

The range near me has on average 3 suicides a year. I hear most ranges wont rent a gun or let you shoot at there range if you are alone

After slow-motion camera footage, Coroner concludes that it was suicide. Geez.

Link Removed

I have dealt with a number of suicide attempts. Guns are only one of the ways people choose to go. Suicides occur in prison, should we eliminate prisons? I have seen more people try to OD on Tylenol than I have seen shoot themselves yet they don't talk of taking it off the shelf. In case I just gave you an idea, if you go for the Tylenol trick, be aware that it takes about two weeks for you to die.

It is always a bit upsetting when you identify with someones death. People will kill others, people will kill themselves, and people will die of natural causes. Whether people kill themselves quickly with a gun or slowly with life style choices we have to accept their decision and move on. If we can get to them in time it might be possible to delay their action long enough that they will change their mind but not always. Those who blame the gun or the range are just trying to profit their organization or agenda with the blood of others.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back