making payments on a firearm??

andersonj1988

For some reason, I find myself not being able to save money. All of my
Bills get paid and when I have extra money, it is usually spent and I'm left wondering " what the hell? ". I was thinking of making payments to a local gun shop here in town, any ideas on this? Is it even possible in a legal since?

Thanks USACarry members!

It should be perfectly legal. Store owner would just complete legally required paperwork when you made your final payment and actually took possession of the firearm. As said above it is up to the store. Sounds like a good way to make a sale that would not have happened otherwise.

I've put firearms on layaway before. Not everyine always has several hundred dollars laying around to buy something (whether it's firearms, the latest electronic gadget, or whatever else) they really wnat. People make payments for houses and cars, so why not also for less expensive items as well?

My local shop requires 10% down and full payment in 60 days. Must fill out all paperwork and have a current ccw permit, or have been approved and waiting on lisence in the mail. I bought my first gun like that.

I agree with what these folks are saying. You might get lay-a-way depending on the shop policy. But you'll never get to buy a gun on credit with the shop. (Closest to that is buying with a credit card.)

But - I'd like to encourage you for a moment to look at the larger problem. Go to Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com or Link Removed and get a copy of "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. You'll find lots of useful information in there.

Then you can be like me! No debt, buying all my guns with CASH, and not having to sweat it.. :biggrin:

Most Gun shops have an Lay-A-Way plan. Depending on your local shop, some will do this for Customers.I also having 4 kids, sometimes need to use the Lay-a-Way plan.

I did that once. I ask my dealer if I could give him so much down on a gun to hold it for me. He was willing to do so but I guess it depends on the dealer.

LMAO really you think its a good idea to carry or have firearms in your possession if you're not responsible enough to save for them???? It takes discipline to deal in any fashion with firearms lets start by being more responsible first!!!!

You should analyze your expenses and find out what the problem seems to be. I know that sounds trivial but you need to know.

I have used lay-a-way at my local gun shop on several occasions. Sometimes I drop in for a visit and see something I would like to have that will probably be gone on by the time I get back. The store requires 25% down. The paperwork is done at the time of pickup. My gun shop will let you keep it on lay-a-way for two to three months. So, I think you are in luck if your shop has a lay-a-way plan! Happy shooting!:pleasantry:

If you're military you can use a Military StarCard(credit card) for firearms purchases at some BX/PX's. That's "making payments" one a firearm.

I do not have a problem with someone using a lay-away plan. As has been stated here, most lay-aways require money down and full payment with 60 to 90 days. If you have a problem saving any money for a gun purchase, how are you going to make payments. Can you get it paid off in 60 days? Can you afford to lose your down payment if you cannot come up with the money to pay it off? Personally, I would not want to take that risk. Here are a couple of ideas to think about. Is your paycheck electronically deposited at your bank? If so, go to your bank and set up a savings account. Then have your bank automatically transfer whatever sum you can handle each time a your paycheck is deposited. If you do not have electronic deposit, you can still do the same thing and every time you take your check to the bank, have some moved to your savings account. When you get enough in your savings, go buy the gun you want. You DO have to show some self discipline here. One other "easy" way to save money is to get a big plastic jug and cut a slot in the lid. Every time, and I mean EVERY time you come home, put your pocket change in the jug. You would be surprised how quickly it all adds up. Even better, you could do both things at the same time.

I think some people are putting to much in this "layaway Plan" . Talking about mismanaging money, not being responsible. It has nothing to do with that. Some people can afford to go a drop $1000 or so on a gun, God bless you for that. But then there are those who want and need a gun who can't afford to pay all at once. The economy is bad and its no fault of the hard working people who are trying to make ends meet. This talk about irresponsible and not managing money is total nonsense IMHO!!

Lay-a-way is ok for some folks, I am not going to preach to any one about saving. God knows how lousy I am at doing so. I have three separate bank accounts just for that! However, I have found that when I save that cash, and walk in with it, I can get a better deal. When I lay 8 Bens down on the counter for that $1,000 gun, it is really tough for the guy behind the counter to say no. If he does I pick up my money slowly and immediately, gently start toward the door. I don't even stop to look at anything. You would be surprised how many times I get stopped before I get out the door. I may end up at $900, but I don't pay full counter price for anything with cash.
Things I have put it on lay-a-way, have almost always been full price.
YMMV.

I think some are making too much of a bid deal out of this and if one wants to use law-a-way I have no problems at all with it. Just be sure you know what the dealer expects up front. You put 10-25% down and make payments on it until it is paid for and then pick it up. About every local gun dealer I around here does that. Just remember that if you don't make the payments you lose your investment so think about it. I would much rather someone put one on lay-a-way than pay with a credit card. Paying with a credit card just invites more friviality getting you deeper in debt.

I know I am weird but I absolutely hate saving for a special item such as a gun because when I get the money saved and then buy it I have a big letdown as my savings that I worked so hard for is gone and now I am back to being broke. To get around that I have to save twice as much as I need so when I buy something I still have some left. It is sort of like when I was a little boy and bought me a billfold. After buying it I didn't have anything to put in the billfold so I felt like I had lost out both ways.

I now have a separate billfold that I put my squirrel money in and leave it at home unless I decide to spend some of it on something special like a gun. I then decide I will not spend all of it and go looking. I have the cash and don't get that letdown. It takes some dicipline but it is not that hard to do. As someone suggested drop all your change in a jar every night or if you don't want to do that try something else. Look at your change and every time you get a quarter that is one of the state quarters put it aside. Little things like that mount up in a hurry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back