Make sure I have this straight...

jason73

I will be traveling to NC for a fishing trip on the Outer Banks in July. I have done some reading and want to make sure I understand this correctly:

1) NC DOES recognize a SC CWP correct? If they do, then I may carry concealed in any places that are not prohibited by law correct?

2) While traveling in my truck, when I cross the state line into NC, I have to have the loaded gun out in the open right? Meaning it can be laying on the passenger seat, laying in the console, on top of the center console or exposed down in the slots of the door like where a map would go correct or up on the dash right? As long as it is visible right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

NC does recognize your SC CCW (as long as you are a resident of SC), and you may carry anywhere that is not prohibited. As far as being "out in the open" when crossing the state line, I do not see a need for that if you have a SC CCW.

Have a good trip!

To echo mbass's post: Yes, you're SC permit is reciprocal in NC. No need to have the firearm visible from within your truck either. Indeed, have a good trip!

I believe there is a lot of confusion over the "automobile carry" portions of the data on both this and some other forums. In most cases what is stated in these sections is how you can carry in an automobile if you DO NOT have a permit.

For example the Florida section of some areas states you may carry in a closed compartment or case ... which is correct if you do not have a permit, but with a permit you may carry on your person.

Are there any states that issue permits still require such as "fully exposed" or in a "locked compartment" WITH a permit that anyone know of, or am I correct that WITH a valid permit in most states you may carry on you person in a vehicle?

Thanks everyone. That confused me a little bit in my CWP class here in SC. I think my instructor said if you DON"T have a CWP, and you have the firearm in the vehicle, it has to be exposed. But it would make sense that if NC honors the SC CWP, then I could have the firearm on me while in the vehicle with no problems. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Now, if I can load the cooler up with some tuna, wahoo & dolphin, things will be just great!!!

Are there any states that issue permits still require such as "fully exposed" or in a "locked compartment" WITH a permit that anyone know of, or am I correct that WITH a valid permit in most states you may carry on you person in a vehicle?
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Of the over 30 states that honor the NC CCW, none that I know of require "full exposure" or "Locked campartment." Of the states that do not honor the NC CCW, most of those will not even allow a firearm at all, accept for particular circumstances.

Be careful up on the Outer Banks. Most of that area is a National Seashore which means it falls under the National Parks rules for firearms. My wife and I made a sightseeing trip up there a few weeks ago and everyone should go at least once before a few more hurricanes completely wipes them out. It really was nice and be sure you have your ferry reservations if you plan on taking one.

Most of the outer banks is a national park. No weapons are allowed in those areas even with a CCW. When I had my yacht I had to be careful about going to the islands with my shotgun on board. The first thing the coast guard would ask if they boarded for a safety inspection is "Are there any guns or drugs on board?"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back