Major problems with CWP renewals for everyone, better read

FN1910

Once again SLED is thumbing their noses at the State Legislature and the law by changing the CWP application and renewal process. The kicker is that not only will we have to be fingerprinted by this outfit but the price of renewal is going up by $10.

Link Removed

ATTENTION

STARTING AUGUST 2, 2010 SLED WILL BEGIN A NEW CWP AUTOMATED PROCESS. SLED WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PAPER APPLICATIONS FOR NEW AND RENEWAL CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS. ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE NEW “SLED EasyPath” SYSTEM HOSTED BY L1 IDENTITY SOLUTIONS. ALL APPLICANTS, BOTH NEW AND RENEWAL, MUST BE FINGERPRINTED BY L1 IDENTITY SOLUTIONS.

ANY PAPER APPLICATION POSTMARKED AFTER JULY 9, 2010 WILL BE RETURNED IN PREPARATION FOR THE NEW SYSTEM.

PLEASE VISIT THE L1 WEBSITE AT L-1 Identity Solutions, Enrollment Services Division or CALL (866) 254-2366 BEGINNING AUGUST 2, 2010 TO REGISTER FOR AN APPOINTMENT.

I just got my CWP so I won't have to worry about this for 4 years but I don't like it. What a hassle. and more $$. just more regulation on a constitutional right. :mad:

Once again SLED is thumbing their noses at the State Legislature and the law by changing the CWP application and renewal process. The kicker is that not only will we have to be fingerprinted by this outfit but the price of renewal is going up by $10.

Link Removed

Hmmmmm...wonder whose relative owns L1 Identify Solutions??:sarcastic:

I saw this on SCFirearms Yahoo Groups forum and had to confirm myself...

My question is that who made this law and additional tax/fee? SLED? our State Congress?

How can we fight it? I want some names!:angry:

I didn't see this on SC Grass Roots either.:mad:

I searched and couldn't find anything where they are rewriting SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits. That section will have to be changed before they can start this. It looks like L-1 Enrollment Services has been used for fingerprinting SC Department of Education Teachers for Teacher Certifications. It's really unclear if L-1 Enrollment Services is just going to do fingerprinting or complete the whole package for CWP's since they appear to only a fingerprinting collection and cataloging firm. The statement on SLED's site leads you to believe that L-1 is going to do the whole thing. A lot of questions needs to be answered.

It looks like L-1 Enrollment Services has been used for fingerprinting SC Department of Education Teachers for Teacher Certifications.

My wife didn't go through L1 when she was teaching the last couple years in Berkeley County at least not that she knows. I know she didn't go to any of the L1 locations.

I really don't like the fact that an interstate company has possession of our fingerprints and background investigations electronically online for anyone to hack or search. Having physical copies at the state level is one matter, interstate commercial possession and storage is something totally different@!

The state government has no authority and cannot protect our information.

FN1910, where did you find the information about the $10 increase? I may be overlooking it but I can't find it.

Hmmm, that smack's of the Publisher's Clearing House of CWP information. There's no legal control over what they do with what you give them, this should not be legal, if it is, we need to change that.

I renewed online, SLED debited my account on May 27th, no renewal in hand yet.

We need Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona carry in South Carolina.

From what I read there is only a one day a month 6 hour window at of all places "Department of Social Services" for me to be fingerprinted in Greenwood County. Phone will be lit up Tuesday. Thanks for the information. I wonder if L1 is connected with the same folks a few years ago who "purchased" our drivers license photos?

From what I read there is only a one day a month 6 hour window at of all places "Department of Social Services" for me to be fingerprinted in Greenwood County. Phone will be lit up Tuesday. Thanks for the information. I wonder if L1 is connected with the same folks a few years ago who "purchased" our drivers license photos?

You could go to Greenville of course we shouldn't have to go anywhere!

Greenville Greenville, SC. (8 Sycamore Drive Ste 8a #1) [Map (opens new browser)] Mo, Tu, We 9a-9p; Th, Fr 9a-5p ; Sa 10a-4p

This whole thing stinks! We need to contact our state legislators and have them explain why this is happening.

But $10 more is such a small amount to pay to excersice your right! :mad::mad:

So does that mean, the more I pay the more rights that I already have I can exercise?:pleasantry:

I know everyone is hurting due to the economy, most people cut back, I guess the government of "We the People" just finds new ways to tax instead or off set taxes.

The S.C. firearms forum just had a pretty lengthy discussion on this before it got into a debate on who called who stupid first....

[email protected]

several issue with this new method are legally questionable and I suspect that somethings are going to change some more before long...

As I see it the $10 is the processing fee for L1... which could be kind of like the fee an instructor charges for a class... separate from the actual $50 SLED collects. Not sure if you will still be mailing or interneting in a renewal or not....

Just who are you calling stupid? :biggrin: Damnest thing I have ever seen on a supposedly gun related "Listserve" (Notice the quotation marks) I have ever seen. You would think the maturity level there would be higher considering the subject.

That is where I found out about it and there was more information posted which I think was sent to instructors. From what I can tell L-1 will be handling the entire process and you must go to one of their 13 locations to be electronically fingerprinted whether it is for a new or renewal application. SLED makes no exceptions for anyone else to do the fingerprinting and it is required even for renewals. L-1 gets to keep the $10 extra fee for doing the fingerprinting therefore it is an increase in the fee the SLED is charging. When I took my CWP class the instructor had one of the local deputy sheriffs come in and do the fingerprinting. This was included in the cost of the class which was no higher than any of the others around. I think it was $75 which at the end of the class the instructor gave us a brown envelope with everthing in it but the check to SLED and a stamp on it. All I had to do was enclose the check, add some stamps and mail it off.

Now SLED is requiring everyone to drive to one of their chosen (shall we conclude kickback) 13 sites to get the things done that were the responsibility of the instructor or the applicant. Notice that few if any of the locations are open on Saturday so that means taking off work for most people.

SLED has mandated a $10 fee so it is not like an instructor fee who was free to set his own rates or even waive them if he wanted to. This is in direct violation of two different state laws so all I can see is SLED once again is showing that they don't care about what the Legislature says they are going to do it as they want to and the SC code of laws be damned.

I travel the entire state every week or so, so the 5 day a week locations are not a problem for me. The problem I have is what happened to the law as passed? What about my wife? I sure as hell don't want her going to the "Department of Social Services" taking time off work ect ect. How about the other folks who are pretty much local bound? What happened to "any local law enforcement agency? They are good enough for all other fingerprinting needs the state requires. Why us? I've made my calls today, one was a waste of time but I made it anyway, the other was preaching to the choir. Anyway , everybody call and write.

Over on the Yahoo SC firearms forum it was suggested we call the governors office and speak our mind....

Ms. Cooper.

Governor's Office
803-734-2100

Who to write - what to say

So who do we write, what do we say, and what is/are the addresses....

I don't want to sound toooo PARANOID but I want to make sure we have a leg to stand on, legality wise, what laws is SLED breaking.

So who do we write, what do we say, and what is/are the addresses....

I don't want to sound toooo PARANOID but I want to make sure we have a leg to stand on, legality wise, what laws is SLED breaking.

Link Removed

Section 23-31-215 describes how SLED is to issue permits. I would think that that section would have to be changed for them to contract it out. But with McMaster who knows.

Looks like the changes may not happen!

Word that I received is the Governors office put a stop to all this L1 crap. SLED overstepped their authority by not getting approval to change fees and fingerprinting that are prescribed by law. I'm just waiting on confirmation!

CONFIRMED!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back