Maine to New Jersey

cmitala

Hello!

I just joined the site and had a very specific question and thought this may be a reliable place to ask it! I hope someone can help me.

I was recently in Maine visiting a friend and for my birthday he bought me a shotgun. He wanted to put it in my name but since I live in NJ we couldn't do that so he has it up there with him. I obviously would love to be able to have my gun here in NJ so I am in the process of getting my firearms permit.

However, my question is how do I get my gun from Maine to NJ? I was reading and it looks like in order to travel with a gun through CT, NY, and MA (all states I would have to travel through) I would need a permit in all of those states to travel through with a gun.

I didn't realize how complicated it would be to get it down to NJ. Can someone please aim me in the right direction on how I would go about this?

Thanks so much! :happy:

This should help, along with a New Jersey firearms permit identification card, which is different from a New Jersey concealed carry permit. Hopefully one of the folks from New Jersey will fill in any gaps I may have missed.

US Code

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A
Prev | Next
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I am not sure of the other states , but in NY you dont need a special for a shotgun as long as it is unloaded in your vehicle and away from any person without a NY hunting lisense, the only restrictions are on pistols which is completely illegal to posses in NY without the proper permit. Oh ya no gund at all in NYC so drive around, which probably wouldnt be a bad idea anyway

As long as you are travelling, Father-of-three's post applies. Lock the shotgun in your trunk and make the trip.

Does that apply, for long guns, for all the states? I thought the only real hastle one would have is transporting or carrying a handgun across state lines. I was under the impression that if I were to travel to another state, I would not have problems with long guns. If this is not completely true, set me straight. Thanks.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back