Maine to eliminate permits for concealed carry

PC1

This is great news for Maine citizens and as a part of a national trend removing pointless regulations and pointless, expensive permits. I'm sure Govenor LePage will sign this bill, which has easily passed the Maine Senate and House.

Here's a link to a newspaper summary:

Maine takes major step toward removing concealed weapon permits

The details of the legislature's actions for this bill are here:

Summary
--------------------

We'll still have to keep a close watch on the Bloomberg organization since they have previously announced plans to put anti-gun rights law(s) on a Maine ballot. If there is inadequate voter turnout, such a ballot-created law might pass in spite of the legislature's actions. This is what happened in Washington state, as best I could follow, and now they are finding out that their new gun laws are not really about "firearms safety".

The most "mentally challenged" statement in the article:

"The bill’s opponents said they believed it would lead to a more dangerous and deadly Maine, one of the safest states in the country. Some who have been screened by state or local police and denied permits for a variety of reasons would now be able to pack heat, they said."

What a total dump truck load full of crap.

How many more times are we going to be spoon fed that BS that the streets will "run red with blood"?
Epic proof that the libs need shut up....

This is great news for Maine citizens and as a part of a national trend removing pointless regulations and pointless, expensive permits. I'm sure Govenor LePage will sign this bill, which has easily passed the Maine Senate and House.

Here's a link to a newspaper summary:

Maine takes major step toward removing concealed weapon permits

The details of the legislature's actions for this bill are here:

Summary
--------------------

We'll still have to keep a close watch on the Bloomberg organization since they have previously announced plans to put anti-gun rights law(s) on a Maine ballot. If there is inadequate voter turnout, such a ballot-created law might pass in spite of the legislature's actions. This is what happened in Washington state, as best I could follow, and now they are finding out that their new gun laws are not really about "firearms safety".
The computer was not her private property, so her 1st Amendment doesn't apply.

Looks like the governor won't sign it:
Link Removed

AUGUSTA — Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday he would not sign a bill that would make it legal for adults over 21 to carry concealed handguns without permits.

LePage, in a telephone interview with radio station WVOM, said he was opposed to the age restriction added to the bill by the Maine House of Representatives on Monday.

And this gem from the Main Gun Owners' Association "which supports the concept of Constitutional carry" but really doesn't:

Weinstein said that without training requirements, his group was opposed to the bill.

"I advise the Legislature and/or Gov. LePage to consider either not enacting the bill or amending it further to reinstate mandatory gun safety and legal education," Weinstein said. "Failure to do so may see this bill actually enabling some people needlessly getting hurt."

Got to love the Gun Owners' Association in Maine, eh? With friends like that, who needs the Brady Bunch and MDA? I should put that as a new signature line: "Anyone who says I support the 2nd Amendment BUT....doesn't."

It now looks like the bill has been amended so that the Governor will sign it, since it now allows under-21 military or ex-military to carry.

Here's a more recent news article about this Constitutional Carry bill:

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/06...rry-bill-with-fix-designed-to-satisfy-lepage/

Unless I'm missing something here, the only thing left before sending it to the Governor for his signature is a routine budget adjustment process that shouldn't delay things much. Basically, the state will be able to save some money by eliminating the red tape and paperwork previously required for a CCW permit.

It's been encouraging that this bill has such a large number of co-sponsors in both houses. This bill was initially sponsored by the youngest member of the legislature, Sen. Eric Brakey (R-Auburn), who is 26 years old.

The anti-gun forces in the legislature and elsewhere must be at least a little surprised at this development!

Too bad it is still misnamed as Constitutional carry when it isn't. Gives the impression that the anti-s have given up everything.

Spent a lot of time in Maine over the years, traveling and vacationing in the upper parts of Maine. There are some pretty scary types living in the North Woods where you seldom see many people. They are loners and drug growers and anti-socials. I wouldn't go back without my 9MM.

"More states should follow Maine's lead".

What states should not follow Maine's lead, other than those that already have Constitutional carry?

Maybe I am miss-reading your statement.

What I meant was, more states should drop the requirement for a Concealed Carry Permit. To me it's just a tax gun owners that want to carry. It also doesn't control guns, it controls people.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back