Madison Co. Gun Ordinance Defeated

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A Madison County official says he won't resubmit a proposed firearms ordinance that would have kept county residents from firing a gun within 300 feet of a home.

About 100 residents packed a recent meeting to protest the first proposal that was defeated on a 4-1 vote. Commissioner Mike Youngblood says he won't resubmit his proposal.

Youngblood says he introduced it after two groups in his district complained about people shooting close to their homes.

Opponents backed by the National Rifle Association say the law would not only violate the Second Amendment but also the rights of property owners.

One resident, Gary Venable, says gun control laws are handled by the state of Georgia and not the county.

Source: Link Removed

Safety Zone ordinance

Here in Vermont a man was killed sitting in his living room two months ago. Some guys were practicing with their deer rifles about half a mile away (with NO backstop!) and one of their bullets killed the guy. So the town of Essex Junction is going through the same discussion, AFTER a death...

upanchor

I may be in the minority here, but I think that the ordinance was a good idea. I wouldn't want people to legally fire guns that close to my home.

Unless you live out in the country, I think it's just plain stupid to discharge any firearm in a populated area. Where I live, you can be arrested for shooting anything within the city limits. The only exceptions are at a gun range (And there's one 2 blocks from my house - I'm not at all worried about all the firing I hear on week-ends). I don't have any problems with not being allowed to fire my XD-40 in my back yard, although I will have no problems discharging it in the direction of anyone who thinks they can forcibly break into my home.

Now in areas like Vermont, where there is hunting going on, it's just common sense not to discharge a weapon in the vicinity of a residence, and I think that any law specifying a distance (like 300') isn't a real restriction.

I belong to the NRA, and I'd like to think that the protest they submitted had more substance than just a simple 2nd Amendment argument. I'll bet the actual law proposal was a lot more restrictive than what was posted.

I wouldn't want anybody shooting near my house.... especially with all of the incompetents running around with guns. Case in point, the above post regarding the two irresponsible hunters practicing in Vermont! Idiots!!! Remember one of the most important rules in firearm safety??? "Know what is beyond your target"!!! I believe that (or a variation of) is written in every manual that comes with each firearm.

New York law on firing close to a residence

New York law prohibits discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a building without permission of the owner/occupant of that building. I don't have a problem with this. It has never inconvenienced me in any way and, in a few instances, had mde me feel safe.

I shoot out my back door all the time. No problem here. 41 acres helps though! :wink:

BTW, Luke this belongs in the Georgia forum not SC.

I was going to say.... very few homes in S.C. are within 300 ft of anybody shooting in Georgia... there's a pretty wide river between.

Madison Co.

In Arizona, a state that has a pre-emption law that only the state can pass any gun law, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within a quarter mile of a residence except in the case of self-defense. I once had to use the PA on my patrol car to tell shooters to clear their weapons and return to their vehicle, where I checked them out and advised them of the law. They didn't realize they were so close to a farm house.

I think that resubmitting the ordinance would be a good idea. Firing that close to homes is not a good idea, period.

Absolutely not! why?, because it's just another stupid law. I'm sure there are numerous laws on the books in Georgia and other states about making noise and disturbing your neighbors that would already cover someone shooting a gun near your home, even if just target practicing right next door to you.

Kind of like the guy yesterday at my gun club, who happens to come from New Your state by the way, who's solution to gun control was to put someone in power who knows about guns and could choose which guns we could have and which are truly evil assault rifles.... Hell NO. the whole point is not having the government, no matter if you agreed with the choice, deciding for you.

Absolutely not! why?, because it's just another stupid law. I'm sure there are numerous laws on the books in Georgia and other states about making noise and disturbing your neighbors that would already cover someone shooting a gun near your home, even if just target practicing right next door to you.

Kind of like the guy yesterday at my gun club, who happens to come from New Your state by the way, who's solution to gun control was to put someone in power who knows about guns and could choose which guns we could have and which are truly evil assault rifles.... Hell NO. the whole point is not having the government, no matter if you agreed with the choice, deciding for you.

Are you telling me that prohibiting the discharge of a firearm that close to someone's home is a stupid law? What if it were your home?

My neighbors are welcome to discharge their firearms at any time they feel it is the responsible course of action. Just as they expect me to act responsibly.

My neighbors are welcome to discharge their firearms at any time they feel it is the responsible course of action. Just as they expect me to act responsibly.

Thats how I see it. FWIW, I live directly in between the state forest and the wild life management area. Its not uncommon during deer season to see hunters with their trucks lined up along the road directly in front of my house. So they are what maybe 200 feet away. I have no problem with this as they are shooting away from the homes (I have a few neighbors but were spread out)

If the neighbors behind me want to watch the wife and I shoot some targets and/or clays they just have to look out their front window (my property surrounds them). Id say were maybe 300 feet from them while shooting but Ive never measured it. We can certainly see them and they can see us as we've waved to them. (yes they are from Florida just like I am and moved here 2 years after I did. they are from Ft Meyers)

They are the closest to us and we told em the day they moved in and met us that we'd be shooting guns on any given day. They simply asked that we not shoot towards their home (yeah silly of course we wouldnt)

I am responsible and shoot into a backstop and the land behind that rises. The next neighbor behind that is 1/2 mile away.

I expect my neighbors to be responsible too. Im not the only guy shooting out here either.

Are you telling me that prohibiting the discharge of a firearm that close to someone's home is a stupid law? What if it were your home?

No, what I'm saying is there are already laws on the books to deal with it.

Here's an example.... there is a specific law on the books in S.C. that makes it a crime for you to kill someone while you are robbing them while you are coming from hunting or fishing......

there are already laws that makes it a crime to kill someone... there are already laws that makes it a crime to rob someone.... what the heck does coming from or going to hunt or fish have to do with it?

It's like making a specific law against killing a LEO while they are performing their duty....
IT IS STUPED BECAUSE IT IS REDUNDANT.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back