Mad gunman kills three swimmers

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
Link Removed

Nine young adults had gathered near a railroad bridge on the Menominee River when the gunman came out of the woods and opened fire about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, according to Sheriff Jim Kanikula.

Authorities have not determined a motive. The sheriff said there was no communication between the gunman and his victims.
Was this guy just roaming around looking for someone to shoot? This is a good reason to carry everywhere.

Last couple days prove you are not safe swimming, on a bus, or anywhere. Don't leave home with out it.

Last edited:
I already know what the PC answer will be

Make more laws. Demonize guns, hunting knives and anything else not made of nerf or playdough.

Link Removed

Was this guy just roaming around looking for someone to shoot? This is a good reason to carry everywhere.

Unfortunately, even if you are carrying and kook runs out of the woods firing directly at you. you;re probably dead before your hand touches the grip. Whatever happened to the good old punch in the nose?

Link Removed

This is indeed an unfortunate situation, however, I'm not sure that the swimmers could have done anything to prevent this. If they were actually in the water, they were practically sitting ducks. Obviously they were not anticipating something like this happening, but neither would any of us, especially in the water. How many of you carry while you're in the water? I don't go to the beach very much for that very reason, but when I do, I confess that I just take a chance and do not go armed while in the water. Not saying that hearing this story is going to keep me from doing so in the future, but stories like this are exactly why I don't do it very often.

This is indeed an unfortunate situation, however, I'm not sure that the swimmers could have done anything to prevent this. If they were actually in the water, they were practically sitting ducks. Obviously they were not anticipating something like this happening, but neither would any of us, especially in the water. How many of you carry while you're in the water? I don't go to the beach very much for that very reason, but when I do, I confess that I just take a chance and do not go armed while in the water. Not saying that hearing this story is going to keep me from doing so in the future, but stories like this are exactly why I don't do it very often.
I'd have to confess I've never gone into the water armed either. I do often take a shower with a gun within easy reach though...usually I just put it in a waterproof bag.

If swimming, it might be worthwhile to get some sort of thin plastic bag to put around the gun before it goes into the holster. Maybe a top-snap could go over it to keep it from floating out. It could probably be hidden effectively with the right IWB.

The thing about being in water is that it actually presents a unique advantage. Based on this nonscientific experiment, you may easily be able to use water as natural cover.

Carry while in the water? Seriously guys, you have to relax somewhere and just except the fact that you're not able to be armed every where. I even think the water proof bag next to the shower is a bit extreme. The counter is close enough and a few locked doors should be fine warning.

Maybe I'm just not paranoid enough but, sometimes the Ozzies call us Americans lunatics about our guns and (NOT pointing at ANYONE), some of us really are.

I can see valid points to having your side arm near at all times but, I like to live my life too. I swear I'm NOT calling anyone a kook but, be careful you don't turn into one.

Carry while in the water? Seriously guys, you have to relax somewhere and just except the fact that you're not able to be armed every where. I even think the water proof bag next to the shower is a bit extreme. The counter is close enough and a few locked doors should be fine warning.

Maybe I'm just not paranoid enough but, sometimes the Ozzies call us Americans lunatics about our guns and (NOT pointing at ANYONE), some of us really are.

I can see valid points to having your side arm near at all times but, I like to live my life too. I swear I'm NOT calling anyone a kook but, be careful you don't turn into one.

rig the G19 with marine spring cups and you're all set. :)

gf

I don't think anyone was advocating swimming with your gun on. I sure wasn't. I do think the point that can be made from this incident though is that you can not really categorize any place as a "safe place". I have seen some posters state on other threads that they do not always carry every time but only when they feel the need. How many times after an incident have we read or heard the remarks "I never thought that would happen here" or "I can't believe he did something like this, he seemed like such a nice guy". The fact is unless you are clairvoyant you can not predict when you will need to defend yourself or someone else. Like Murphy's Law says "If anything can go wrong it will". I would rather carry 10,000 times and never need to use my gun than have the one time I leave it home be the time I need it. My family and my own life means to much to me. If that is paranoid then every time I buckle my seat belt I am paranoid because I have yet to be in a bad wreck or each of us that carries health, home owners or life insurance are paranoid. ( Do you carry insurance just the times you need it or all the time?) Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Sometimes you face the tradeoff of going somewhere that you know your gun can't go (not by law, but somewhere where a gun simply cannot be carried, like a body of water) and knowing that if something happens, you will not have a weapon to protect yourself. On the other hand, you have to decide if bding able to carry there is worth not being able to enjoy yourself as much as you really want to. This scenario, much like everything else in life, involves making choices, some of which you may not like having to make. Not sure if any of these swimmers even considered choosing between carrying and swimming, but in the end, they paid the ultimate price; the same goes for people who live in states where carrying in church is illegal. I'm sure that not being able to carry legally is going to stop anyone from worshipping God every Sunday. By that same logic, I'm not going to allow an incident such as this to stop me from going into the water with everyone else next time I go to the beach, even if that means not being armed for a short period of time.

I think everyone got my point so far. Thanks for not bagging on me or making me feel like I'm too relaxed.

Well, hopefully it would be, and everyone makes decisions based on their own circumstances.

In my house, the floor plan makes it difficult to hear if someone is coming into the bathroom basically until they open the door. If it's lying on the counter, they'll see the gun before I even see who they are - and that's a significant disadvantage.

With something small and light like a P3AT or P9, taking it swimming really isn't a big problem. You could look around and get a small, comfortable contraption to go underneath swimming shorts and even test it if you have a pool.

Kooks? Where? (looks around scratching head...) I'm not a kook...am I...? :-D

Well, hopefully it would be, and everyone makes decisions based on their own circumstances.

In my house, the floor plan makes it difficult to hear if someone is coming into the bathroom basically until they open the door. If it's lying on the counter, they'll see the gun before I even see who they are - and that's a significant disadvantage.

With something small and light like a P3AT or P9, taking it swimming really isn't a big problem. You could look around and get a small, comfortable contraption to go underneath swimming shorts and even test it if you have a pool.

Kooks? Where? (looks around scratching head...) I'm not a kook...am I...? :-D

I admire your determination, but guns weren't made to go swimming in. And, as far as I know, there aren't any holsters on the market that are made to hold a gun while in the water.

Reading the report of the incident brought to mind the plot of the movie "Deliverance." Perhaps these three swimmers stumbled into an area where a 'shiner was doing his thing, or a druggie was doing his.

I sincerely hope they catch the idiot and give him the death he deserves.

Reading the report of the incident brought to mind the plot of the movie "Deliverance." Perhaps these three swimmers stumbled into an area where a 'shiner was doing his thing, or a druggie was doing his.

I sincerely hope they catch the idiot and give him the death he deserves.

I think they already got him and the bad part is he raped a woman the day before and she did not come forward until he was on the news for the shooting. She could have prevented the whole thing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back