Ma. LTC is going to take 10 weeks?

climber55

I applied for my LTC the other day and was told it will be 10 weeks to process. From my understanding it should not take any longer than 40 days. At least that is what is stated in the gun laws. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

I have heard some towns taking as long as 6 months. Unfortunately its up to the Chief or whomever the Chief has processing applications.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I read the state law on license issuing and it clearly state's that within 7 days your app must be fowarded to the state police for approval and that within 30 days the state police must send thier approval/rejection to licensing department. The main reason I am asking about the timeframe is I inherited 2 handguns and 3 rifle's and they are currently being held at the police station. I would really like to get them out of there before they "disappear". I also have found a state law that states I have 180 days to posess the guns without a license without being in violation of the gun law. But the police dont seem to reconize that law. Chapter 140 section 129c line N

I applied for my LTC the other day and was told it will be 10 weeks to process. From my understanding it should not take any longer than 40 days. At least that is what is stated in the gun laws. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

What town are you in? that makes all the difference. You are correct about the 40 days, but nobody is gonna listen if you complain. That section is basically written is after 40days you can assume your denied and appeal. But that's usually not the case. If your in a Green town, you shouldn't have a problem. If not, expect a long wait, followed by a restricted permit.

In VA if after 45 days you hear nothing, you can assume you are approved and get a copy of your application as a temporary permit. Then you must carry that piece of paper around with you everywhere. At least in Norfolk.

Check out this site:

Link Removed

GOAL is the MASS Group that looks out for us in MASS.

Good Luck

GOAL is great and very helpful. Really depends on the chief of what ever town you're in as for the time line.

According to Chapter 140 Section 131 part E

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

They have to do it within 40 days of the application.

We all know in MASS though that they break that law a lot..............

GOAL is great and very helpful. Really depends on the chief of what ever town you're in as for the time line.

GOAL is good for monitoring legislation, bringing it to peoples attention, then doing nothing about it. MA is a legit Open Carry State, where are all the Open Carry events they should be setting up? SCOTUS ruled MD's requirement to show need for an LTC is illegal, why isn't GOAL all over this bringing in the lawyers while it's in people faces? I would much rather give my money to SAF or Comm2A (which I do) since their actually putting foot to ass with this stuff instead of just talking about it. If your not on Northeast Shooters you may not be aware there has been many issues with GOAL members leaving do to them being as ineffective as they are. I was a member once, it got a whole lot of nothing out of it.

GOAL is good for monitoring legislation, bringing it to peoples attention, then doing nothing about it. MA is a legit Open Carry State, where are all the Open Carry events they should be setting up? SCOTUS ruled MD's requirement to show need for an LTC is illegal, why isn't GOAL all over this bringing in the lawyers while it's in people faces? I would much rather give my money to SAF or Comm2A (which I do) since their actually putting foot to ass with this stuff instead of just talking about it. If your not on Northeast Shooters you may not be aware there has been many issues with GOAL members leaving do to them being as ineffective as they are. I was a member once, it got a whole lot of nothing out of it.

I agree GOAL has problems, but we are trying to get 3 or 4 NES Members onto the board right now, you sound like an NESer so you must know that.

I like the sound of Comm2A but I haven't seen much of what they are doing yet, I will back them if they are going to help us in MASS.

Climber55 if you haven't checked out NES yet here's the link:

Northeastshooters.com

I agree GOAL has problems, but we are trying to get 3 or 4 NES Members onto the board right now, you sound like an NESer so you must know that.

I like the sound of Comm2A but I haven't seen much of what they are doing yet, I will back them if they are going to help us in MASS.

Climber55 if you haven't checked out NES yet here's the link:

Northeastshooters.com

Comm2A is a MA organization. They team up a lot with SAF so they've got some more horsepower. Either one is a better place to dump money than GOAL. Hopefully the leadership gets restructured and they start doing what they claim there supposed to do. If not hopefully some people band together and start up another org that does it's job. If I still lived in MA I would do it myself, or at least go down trying. Since I'm still in MA a lot I try to stay up and donate to the other two. I'm not on NES as much these days, mainly because I think the board is a little low budget (only 1 real forum for most things (General) but mainly the attitude problem of most of the Green members there. It's like they get off on being a douche about everything. I don't get it.

Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roosince1911
Back