M&P vs USP

multistage

I want a 9. This will most likely be an IDPA gun, but a carry gun as well. Think I have narrowed it down to either an M&P or a USP. I am a pretty good sized guy so there will be no trouble carrying either of these full sized platforms. There is a Smith dealer in town that can get me into a new M&P with night sights and three mags for 499. But there is another dealer with several used USP's. The price on the one I looked at (two tone) is 569, but that is asking, not getting. So I could get new M&P or used H&K for about the same price. Have no experience with either, or any poly platform. For those of you who are sure to ask, I have ruled out XDs, and never cared for the feel of Glocks, even though both are stellar firearms. Any advice will be appreciated. Let the battle begin.

for me it would come down to an investment decision. The HK is gonna be worth more price wise. New USPs cost between 800 and 1000 bucks. Used ones i've seen are any where from 500 to 700. So if you get it and dont like it. You could easily get enough back out of it to go with the Smithy later. Can't do that with the Smith. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I had my heart set on an M&P myself. Sexy gun, and felt good in my hand. However, I found the trigger to be just horrible. The local gun guy then handed me the XD. Much better trigger, and felt good in the hand too. That is how I ended up with an XD. When I went to buy an M&P. So, that being said, I would definitely go with the H&k over the M&P.

BTW, not my first gun. I own everything from 1911's to FN's to CZ's. No Glocks and now no Smithy's. Neither feels right to me (grip and/or trigger).

The M&P is an outstanding firearm! It's helping bring back the S&W name in the semi auto world, after that huge cluster F8** of a gun the sigma. I have owned a Full-size 40 and two compact 9mm's. I did not care for the compact with the optional thumb safety. The 40cal was dead on and was my go to carry firearm, till the full-size got to heavy to carry. The stock trigger is 5-8 pounds(unless you live in MA, then it's around 10.) Really can't go wrong with the M&P, New Hampshire State Police carry it as their duty issue firearm(45acp).

Will fix spelling and grammar later.

H&k usp

I want a 9. This will most likely be an IDPA gun, but a carry gun as well. Think I have narrowed it down to either an M&P or a USP. I am a pretty good sized guy so there will be no trouble carrying either of these full sized platforms. There is a Smith dealer in town that can get me into a new M&P with night sights and three mags for 499. But there is another dealer with several used USP's. The price on the one I looked at (two tone) is 569, but that is asking, not getting. So I could get new M&P or used H&K for about the same price. Have no experience with either, or any poly platform. For those of you who are sure to ask, I have ruled out XDs, and never cared for the feel of Glocks, even though both are stellar firearms. Any advice will be appreciated. Let the battle begin.

I hope you have SHOT both of them as part of this comparison....

I have both an XDm and an H&K USP9c in 9mm. I consider both to be stellar guns.

The H&K was my first purchase, and I love it and won't part with it. The quality of the design and various parts is outstanding, and the gun has performed flawlessly. They cost a bundle (I bought new), but I have no regrets.

The XDm was my 3rd purchase, and I have to say that it is a REALLY pleasant gun to shoot. Light recoil lets you track back to target really fast, the trigger is not quite as spongy as the H&K and the trigger pull is shorter in length for faster shots. This gun was cheap compared to the H&K, but given the price difference I do not feel that it is any less of a firearm in terms of quality. In fact, I consider it a better value purchase. It too has performed flawlessly.

I have no experience with the M&Ps so cannot comment on them other than the fact that my CCW instructor carried one. When we asked why he carried the M&P, he simply stated that nothing felt better to him. He was a former military and law enforcement officer, so he had plenty of years and guns to pick a firearm that suited him. So again, don't ever pick a gun without shooting it first.

I have to admit that the when hitting the range, I am more likely to bring the XDm just because it feels nicer to shoot. In the back of my mind, I have to admit to also thinking that replacing parts on the XDm will be much cheaper than replacing parts on the H&K due to wear and tear from practicing regularly. This logic may come into play for you if you choose to shoot IDPA....

Best of luck in finding a pistol that works for you.

IMO The M&P is the better gun, I went back and forth between M&P, H&K and Glock 23 when I bought my .40, Shot all of them a couple times at the range. They all shot great but I ruled out the H&K first because there just overpriced, was tied between the M&P & G23, my EDC is a Glock but the M&P is better looking and WAY more comfortable in the hand. I'm very happy with my decision.

Ive put well over 500 rounds thru my m&p and have had zero failures. It is a comfortable gun that has proved most reliable.

i say M&P. i bought the .40 cal the same year it was introduced and its an amazing gun. i have had zero problems with it and it will take any bullet i run through it....

hope it helps.

:man_in_love: Love my M&P 45.Only down side is you can't get crimson trace laser for a 45 they will only fit the M&P 40 and M&P 9mm.:biggrin:

I've got the M&P 9c and love it. My husband is getting a H&K 45c, we are not buying it (trading for airbrush work). But he is thinking about getting a XD or Beretta for carry. H&K are good guns from what I understand but the magazine capacity is low and the cost for magazines, etc. is high. I am a small woman and the M&P has three interchangable grips which is nice. It is also ambidextrious (or however you spell it). Sounds like a good price. I paid $550.00 for mine new.

I would have to say M&P all of the way, H&K is a good gun, but you dont find many firearms with adjustable grips and as many accessories as the M&P. Bottom line is, what your heart sets on, but either way, theyre both very good Guns, both have a reliable name behind them.
Let us know what you end up picking.

Yeah, looks like it'll be an M&P. I need the interchangeable grips. I have pretty small hands, and the USP grips are a bit big with high hands, and downright huge with single hand. The M&P grips will work well. Nice capacity, decent feel. This will be my first poly gun (shudder). Never cared for the feel of Glocks. But I do love my SIG 229 E2. My Smith 60 and Beretta 85 are all right, too.

Yeah, looks like it'll be an M&P. I need the interchangeable grips. I have pretty small hands, and the USP grips are a bit big with high hands, and downright huge with single hand. The M&P grips will work well. Nice capacity, decent feel. This will be my first poly gun (shudder). Never cared for the feel of Glocks. But I do love my SIG 229 E2. My Smith 60 and Beretta 85 are all right, too.

You won't regret the choice. Congrats

Glock G17.

The man has stated he wants to shoot IDPA. A Glock 17 will not fit in the IDPA "BOX". If you wish to shoot a Glock in IDPA you have to go with a Glock 34, which was developed for this sport. This makes me wonder how many non IDPA shooters we have handing out advice to this man? Bill T.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back