M&P Shield vs. ????

lamerem

Ok folks, here's the deal. Wife and I were out over the weekend and witnessed a pretty nasty mall fight. Didn't have my carry due to its a full size and was not attire appropriate. We both decided that we will not be without a firearm ever in the future! Not to say it would have been needed, but not having it was very uneasy!

So with her blessing I'll be buying a new compact firearm next week. I am looking at the M&P Shield in a 40 cal with the thumb safety. Yes I like thumb safety and I'm used to it due to my other firearms.

I'm looking for owners of this fire arm in 9mm or 40 cal and your experiences and thoughts. I am also looking to broaden my horizons with other options. What do you carry that's comparable in size. I like the XDs but the lack of safety options has me turned off. I also like the Walther PPS but again the safety is an issue.

So the true question, M&P Shield vs. what? The downside is the Shield is one of the hottest guns on the planet right now and has an MSRP of $449. Almost every dealer is backordered. Though it is available elsewhere for about $100 over MSRP. But I'll pay for the convenience and safety.

Your thoughts? Dislikes and likes? This is completely open speak your mind!

I use the xds as one of my concealed carries. I also use SR9c. Both with crossbreed holsters. The Ruger carries well and has a thumb safety. My 2 cents.

I have this on a 9...have shot the 40. Very snappy due to size. Overall great gun. This trigger is muh better than lc9. Or other similar size

It's my husband's off duty carry now. He pocket carries it quite easily. It's a little snappy, but has a nicer trigger than the SW bodyguard semi which I carry. The mag release is in just the right place though, that I sometimes depress it while shooting and get a failure to feed.

I have the 40 and my dad has the 9. The 40 is a little snappy. I carry mine IWB. The XDS has a grip safety. I am planning on comparing my 40 to the XDS. What state do live in? They are available here in Florida.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Try the Taurus...

I carry the Taurus 709 - it's a compact 9mm single stack that has the thumb safety you are looking for. Also a very hand 'double strike' feature that lets you drop the hammer a second time on a bullet if it doesn't go off on the first try. (single action initial pull, double action on follow up strikes on same bullet).

Sometimes you get one that's defective, (find me one company that never has any problems) but Taurus has a lifetime guarantee that transfers with new ownership... so just be prepared to send it back in if you get one that misbehaves. I've not had any major issues with mine.

Link Removed

I bought the Shield in 40 cal a few months ago and it has become my main carry piece. The 7 round mag fits my hand perfectly.

I just got an LC9. I like the small thin frame and I feel like it gives me a thinner profile for pocket carry. For me, it feels like a solid mouse gun that takes a 9mm cartridge. Only thing I don't like is the long trigger pull, but I can train that out of myself. I looked at and test fired the XD - just don't like that grip safety.
My $0.02

M&P Shield vs. ????

I have the 40, and while it is snappy it is still easy to shoot and you can get good groups. Had a Kahr CW and SIG 250, liked them both, but the shield has a better trigger.

I carry a Kahr CW9 8 shot 9mm. Hides very easily, shoots every time, and will shoot 2" groups at 10 meters. I know, my wife shoots them all the time with it. We both like the trigger pull, not nearly as long as Ruger LC9. My preferred carry piece and I always have it on me. Even in malls where they have "no guns allowed" signs. It is well concealed and would only be noticed if we were faced with a life threatening situation and I had to use it.

I carry the Shield in 9mm. Wears good, hides easy and shoots great. Really like the trigger. Worth the wait or extra money.

lamerem: I own a full size M&P 40 that I carried since my purchase and I think it is amazing. I carried it in a CrossBreed IWB and was very happy. That said about 6 months ago I purchased a M&P Shield also in 40. I shoot it comfortably my wife shoots it and it is the first pistol she ever shot and she ddid a remarkable job with it and did not complain about recoil. I don't think that the price is out of line and you get what you pay for. Some of the others are no doubt great but I have a Preferrence for S&W. Just sayin and good shopping. I have never had a malfunction with either and both carry well but obviously the Shield is more comfortable due to the weight difference.

WOW, this is amazing feedback. Thank you for such a great response. I'll look into these other models.

I am in Iowa and printed of a list of Iowa Dealers for S&W tonight. I plan on working my way down the list to see who has what. I would drive upwards of 3-4 hours to pick it up if I could find it relatively close! If I can't find it locally within a few hundred miles, any suggestions other than the normal websites?

As far as the 9mm and the 40cal debate goes, I think it's personal preference. I have a 9mm and a 45acp but no 40's. My neighbor gave me 900 rounds of Blazer Brass for 40 S&W for free about a month ago because he sold his 40 and hasn't replaced it yet. So I lean more toward the 40 due to the fact that I have $300+ in free ammo. That's incentive if I've ever seen one. That is also a lot of practicing.

I do also like that the Smith is USA made, and boasts a Stainless Steel slide rather than just coated carbon steel. That is an advantage in my eyes. Also, interchangeable back straps would make it a wife pleaser, I have big hands she has small.

However, I've heard wonderful things about Kahr, Walther, and Ruger! I have some investigating to do. I look forward to more feedback!

Why can"t I have a neighbor like that?? Mine just borrows tools and when I need them I have to go get them back!!

M&P Shield vs. ????

I have the XD 45acp and its awesome but hard as hell to conceal. I'm looking at the shield or bodyguard.

So my quest begins. Anyone see one at a gun shop? Looking for a new M&P Shield 40 CAL (NOT MA or CA compliant) with the thumb safety.

If you see one give me the store name and number and ill see if they can shop it to my FFL!

Thanks guys!

I am on my phone and can't check for the number, but you might want to check with Shoot Straight in Apopka FL. They have several locations in Florida. They had shields at their Casselberry store this past weekend.
Their website is shoot-straight.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I carry a Nano and would also recommend the XDs, CM9/PM9, P290..but your insistence on a safety limits you... Ruger LC9? Kimber Solo would be at the top of my list but are much more expensive.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Called shoot straight indeed they have them, thanks. Now considering forgoing the external safety and looking into the XDs!

Thoughts?

I have the Shield in .40. I have several others in 9mm but love the size and conceal-ability of the Shield.

Shoots well although a bit more stout than a 9mm. Ammo a bit more expensive but it's a self defense pistol not a range gun IMO.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back