M&P Shield polished barrel

duceduce23

Hey guys brand new to the forum here and I would like some feedback on what you guys think about polished barrels. Will it affect the gun in any way, or will it be prone to rust? i have seen alot of videos and articles on how to remove and polish your barrel with some white vinigar and very mild scotchbrite. I was thinking of doing this to my M&P Shield which is also my carry weapon. Thanks everyone.

Won't affect accuracy unless you polish the interior so much that the lands and grooves are affected.
Won't be prone to rust as the barrel is stainless (if I'm not mistaken) and the blackened finish is NOT the Tenifer/nitro-carbuerizing/Melonite is actually inside the metal rather than an outside layer.

I did mine with a soaking in vinegar (which did almost Nothing) and then an evening with Brasso. It won't leave it bright, more of a dull almost titanium finish. So far, no rust or corrosion in the 4+ years of abuse since it was done.

ok great thanks for the feedback and yea i was not going to be messing with the inside of the barrel at all i just would like that mirror look on the barrel and the reason i asked about rust was i hear some people that have stainless weapons sometimes complain about pitting due to rust. would you happen to have any pictures of your gun finished?

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Polished but not shined, I think shining would require actual metal removal which is something I wouldn't want to do. And there's also the fact that it would be hard to get an even, all-over shine on such contours.

Polishing the barrel does not affect function. I have polished the barrels on all my Glocks. Initial removal of the black coating with vinegar works well, just make sure to plug up the barrel, for example with ear plugs. For mirror polishing, I used a Dremel with a polishing wheel and polishing compound. Others have used metal polish that you can find in automotive stores.

Awesome thanks for the pictures and I have some people use dremel tools but do you think if I were to wet sand after remival of coating starting with 1000 grit sand paper then mive to 2-3000 grit and polish I could get that mirror look more?

Awesome thanks for the pictures and I have some people use dremel tools but do you think if I were to wet sand after remival of coating starting with 1000 grit sand paper then mive to 2-3000 grit and polish I could get that mirror look more?

Possible (see this video). You also can go the old school route of using metal polish and paper towels or cloth (see this video). The Dremel just makes this whole process less labor intensive (see this video). While you are at it, you can also polish the feed ramp (see this video).

PS: Note that if you use a Dremel, use the polishing wheel only (no sanding wheels) and at lower speeds. You will run through a number of polishing wheels.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back