M&P 9mm how are they?

RJ_Whitlock

M&P 9mm
I'm selling a snowmobile and plan on buying an M&P 9mm. I'm a 9 mil person always have been. The price for everything I'm getting with it is $584. I'm getting obviously the firearm, spare mag, black hawk serpa sportster 2 holster, and a 100 rounds of ammo. I have never fired a M&P before but I've heard they are very good and reliable guns.

I know I can get the holster and spare mag cheaper online but since my local fleet farm decided to start selling handguns again after so many years of really having no where else to go to buy a pistol expect pawn shops which I despise, I'm giving them my money.

So, is the M&P a good firearm?

Absolutely! I own three M&Ps -- 9mm, .40, and .45acp. Thousands upon thousands of rounds through them (range practice, training, IDPA, etc.) and not a single problem. Put an Apex Tactical trigger enhancement kit in it, and you truly have an exceptional firearm.

-Seawolf

I suggest you shoot one if you can before buying. Ask ten people about a particular gun and you'll get ten different answers, some favorable, some neutral, and some not good. I have an M&P9 and I'm in the middle of the recommendation scale. Mine is very reliable (no jams, failures to eject, etc.) It's a good carry piece, IMO. Would I buy it again? Not sure. H&K, Sig, Glock, FN make some very nice pistols. I also like the Beretta 92 FS (heavier, but more bulls eyes). Give it a try. If you're gonna lay out that much money, it's better to try before you buy.

I have two M&Ps the 40c and the 9mm. got to tell you I love them both. Right out of the box fine shooting guns.

I suggest you shoot one if you can before buying. Ask ten people about a particular gun and you'll get ten different answers, some favorable, some neutral, and some not good. I have an M&P9 and I'm in the middle of the recommendation scale. Mine is very reliable (no jams, failures to eject, etc.) It's a good carry piece, IMO. Would I buy it again? Not sure. H&K, Sig, Glock, FN make some very nice pistols. I also like the Beretta 92 FS (heavier, but more bulls eyes). Give it a try. If you're gonna lay out that much money, it's better to try before you buy.

I have no way of trying one out. I have that almost all of the places around here that sell firearms do NOT have an indoor range for their customers to try it out to if it's a fit for them. I'm probably just going to go with my gut feeling and buy it. I did that on my four wheeler and I LOVE my YFZ 450R

I carry a M&P .40cal, it also served as a back up to my service weapon. After 5500 round and every day carring, my M&P has never failed and is dead on at the range. Mine is a compact so as to the product its nearly perfect.

:victory:

f0dxlc.jpg

I am a proud owner of a m&p 40 that I carry every single day. I have shot the other calibers as well and I believe the S&W M&P is hands down the best polymer pistol out there! You will be very happy with your choice.

I have no way of trying one out. I have that almost all of the places around here that sell firearms do NOT have an indoor range for their customers to try it out to if it's a fit for them. I'm probably just going to go with my gut feeling and buy it. I did that on my four wheeler and I LOVE my YFZ 450R

Let me preface by saying that this is just my $0.02 ;-) ... and I come from a Glock background, so take that for what it is worth.

I have owned two M&P9s - the full-size and the compact - and while I found the M&Ps to be nice pistols there were, IMO, some serious caveats.

First, out of the box the triggers on both pistols were very rough. This is a general issue with the platform and although the problem does go away after putting a lot of rounds through them, I opted to install the Apex Duty/Carry Enhancement Kit on both guns. That resulted in a *very* smooth pull... but the install was a bit of a challenge and the parts added to the overall cost significantly.

After a lot of shooting I grew to dislike the M&P's hinged trigger design. This resulted in what felt like an _extremely_ long pretravel. I found myself on occasion thinking I had had a misfire when in fact I'd just not pulled the trigger far enough. Of course, this speaks more to the ergonomics of the pistols in my hand than anything else but I found it to be a a real nuisance. The reset on the M&Ps (if you have trained to shoot to reset) is really "vague", to put it nicely...

Another thing I found curious: the M&Ps definitely felt comfortable in my hand but I did not see that translate to any measurable shooting performance gains. In fact I found that the grips had a tendency to move around more in my hands than I was used to and this led to fidgeting with my grip. Stippling the grips would surely have helped but I never got around to doing that.

You should also know that there have been recent reports of dead triggers on the M&P under certain circumstances which apparently renders the gun inoperable and requires shipping the gun back to S&W for service. S&W has pretty good customer support, though, from my experiences.

My verdict? In the end I lost confidence in my M&Ps as defensive weapons. A range gun can be a bit fiddly and it is not really a problem but a defensive weapon needs to absolutely be reliable. Since that was what I purchased them for I decided to sell them and return to the Glock platform. Glocks are certainly not the best fit for everyone, of course, but they warrant serious consideration depending on your intended purpose.

I 'went M&P' and haven't looked back since, however I prefer compacts, so have compacts in 9 and 45.

I may have gotten lucky twice, but the triggers never seemed bad to me, which seems to be the biggest complaint I hear. Mine are both smooth with a crisp break. The reset is more subtle than on some others. As mentioned, I would like a little more aggressive friction on the grip, but at that point, I'm just personalizing as seems to get done with most pistols.

Really though, shoot one if you can before buying...just because it works for me doesn't mean it's the end all be all of options!

The dead trigger issue has been corrected on newly produced guns. while I agree that you should try any gun that you plan on buying, coming from New York I know what you mean about having a tough time to get to try one. I
have 2 M&P 9mm fullsize, one is my wifes, I have a full size 40 and compact 9mm and a 45 compact. They are great guns. The triggers are not perfect but I do not like the ergonomics or triggers on Glocks, Sigs are a tom of
money, and many other guns for the cost can't compare. I love the M&P's and would buy another any time. Like stated above, lots of good guns out there. I can recommend the M&P but someown else may have a different opinion.

I bought it today took it to the range and I love it! The trigger travel is just like a glock IMO. It was short and felt really nice. I put about 50 rounds through it and shot pretty well.

This may be a stupid question but does the slide lock act as the slide release as well? Because it takes a son of a ***** amount of force to get it to release. I'm guessing because it's new is why but yea any answers?

Own both the M&P45 duty size and the M&P40c... Carry the 40c most of the time in warm weather and the 45 in cool/cold weather. Installed the Apex AEK duty/carry kit in both of mine and a 9mm owned by a close friend. Install (for me) was easy. Been a mechanic/tinker for years... Being that I have MA compliant and M&Ps with trigger pulls at 10+ lbs it was a necessity... Worth the $$.. 5lbs now and the reset is 3/16"... Added Crimson Trace Laser Grips to both...

Took the M&P40c to Front Sight Firearms Training Facility in NV and completed the 4 day defensive handgun course with it. 700 rounds with one initial cleaning and lube... 0 failures or issues. Witnessed 2 Glocks have feeding issues on the line over the 4 days...

Have had no issues or failures with either of mine. My nephew Steve has one, nephew Alex also has one and my friend Scott has one. None have been a problem. Accuracy is a not an issue, At Front Sight we shot ragged hole drills at 5 and 7 yards... 1" groups possible if you do your part...

Have no fear...

Link Removed

I just bought my m&p 9mm this past month, had the same hard time with the release. Asked the gunsmith, he said you have to pull back on the slide then release it, it apparently is supposed to be so that when you put a new mag in that it will chamber the round without error. Love mine, 70 rounds through first time out and no problems.

Congrats on the new firearm. I am interested in one myself.

As far as the slide release goes, I would just pull back on the slide to release.

I just bought my m&p 9mm this past month, had the same hard time with the release. Asked the gunsmith, he said you have to pull back on the slide then release it, it apparently is supposed to be so that when you put a new mag in that it will chamber the round without error. Love mine, 70 rounds through first time out and no problems.

Odd. My wife has the compact version and the slide release works easily. Design difference between the "c" and regular version?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back