LVMPD does it again...

Scary part is that there could be a bunch of potentially "dangerous" people getting a "pass" due to the error. If I remember correctly, the place you get your prints done also does prints for real estate agents, convicted sex offenders, parolees, public employees, etc. It would be pretty bad if some convicted criminal doesn't get registered properly due to the SNAFU with the finger prints.

gf

Scary part is that there could be a bunch of potentially "dangerous" people getting a "pass" due to the error. If I remember correctly, the place you get your prints done also does prints for real estate agents, convicted sex offenders, parolees, public employees, etc. It would be pretty bad if some convicted criminal doesn't get registered properly due to the SNAFU with the finger prints.gf

As netidentity said,
LVMPD CCW Detail will be issuing temporaries if the fingerprints do not come back before the 120 day statutory issuance or denial period from the date you applied
This is good as it keeps them within the law - "shall issue within 120 days." And the permit can be revoked if necessary.

I won't worry about,
Scary part is that there could be a bunch of potentially "dangerous" people getting a "pass" due to the error

How many "bad guys" apply for a CCW permit???

By definiition, criminals do not worry about, nor comply with, laws.

I'll even go one (big) step further. Why do we need CCW permits in the first place? Vermont has had no such law - since statehood over 200 years ago! And Alaska went to "No permit necessary" a few years ago. Have you EVER heard of a "problem" in those two states???

Are Nevada citizens somehow less trustworthy than citizens in Vermont and Alaska???

Indeed, methinks the 2nd Amendment to our great Constitution IS our CCW "permit."

Having said that, however, I DO support our "shall issue" CCW permit system, pending restoration of our true 2nd Amendment rights.

Scary part is that there could be a bunch of potentially "dangerous" people getting a "pass" due to the error. If I remember correctly, the place you get your prints done also does prints for real estate agents, convicted sex offenders, parolees, public employees, etc. It would be pretty bad if some convicted criminal doesn't get registered properly due to the SNAFU with the finger prints.

gf

And the scary part is that some unscrupulous lawyer or judge could use an incident like that to let a heartened criminal off on some silly technicality.

Public employees are done internally by the respective public employer, I know that's the case for the school district. Clark County school police and personnel have their own live scan machines and direct connection to NV DPS. Henderson and North Las Vegas most likely do their own fingerprinting for their own employee applicants. The County themselves may refer applicants to the LVMPD Fingerprint Bureau.

Fingerprints done for state licensing purposes (i.e. real estate, insurance, etc.) they typically give you the blue FBI card to mail in with your application. The reason they do this is many non-residents hold Nevada real estate and insurance licenses so they can conduct business in multiple States.

From the paperwork I was given yesterday to get reprinted it appears the only people that were affected were CCW applicants and work card applicants.

The CCW detail got me in and out of there in 15 minutes from the day I walked in the door yesterday afternoon. They have been getting much better with their customer service and I will mention that in my complaint to LVMPD internal affairs. My complaint is not against the CCW detail. They took ownership of the issue even though it technically was not their issue and are doing their best to accommodate and correct the issue. Blame should be placed with the responsible party and I will make that clear during the next NSCA forum that my issue is not with Sgt Johnson, his staff or the firearm unit.

I did have some nice scenary to look at while I was there yesterday; female adult entertainers getting their work cards. :wink:

What I'm very curious to know is why it took the Fingerprint Bureau this long to find out that fingerprints for the entire month of October 2008 were lost for CCW and work card applicants.

Last edited:
And the scary part is that some unscrupulous lawyer or judge could use an incident like that to let a heartened criminal off on some silly technicality.
Typically when someone is registered they have already been booked and convicted of the crime. If anything it exposes the law enforcement agency to civil liability for not properly administering Megan's law.

Typically when someone is registered they have already been booked and convicted of the crime. If anything it exposes the law enforcement agency to civil liability for not properly administering Megan's law.

That's what I was getting at, but as Netentity discovered, the SNAFU only affected CFP and work applicants. It's funny how they managed to not "lose" the fingerprint records for the sex offenders and other "dangerous" people. It would be very scary if "Megan's Law" is not properly administered because some sex offender's prints were lost.

It seems to me that they're targeting a specific group of people. What would be really messed up is that after an "investigation", the fingerprint records turn out to have been misfiled or are found in some idiot's desk drawer. :eek:

gf

That's what I was getting at, but as Netentity discovered, the SNAFU only affected CFP and work applicants. It's funny how they managed to not "lose" the fingerprint records for the sex offenders and other "dangerous" people. It would be very scary if "Megan's Law" is not properly administered because some sex offender's prints were lost.

It seems to me that they're targeting a specific group of people. What would be really messed up is that after an "investigation", the fingerprint records turn out to have been misfiled or are found in some idiot's desk drawer. :eek:
They're electronic. They got lost somewhere in cyberspace on the LVMPD side. The answer I have gotten thus far is that the Fingerprint Bureau got a "system error" transmitting the prints to NV DPS and that all CFP applicants fingerprinted during the month of October 2008 were affected.

As netidentity said, This is good as it keeps them within the law - "shall issue within 120 days." And the permit can be revoked if necessary.
Which is the way it should be.
How many "bad guys" apply for a CCW permit???
Not many. Less than perhaps 0.1% of all applicants according to Florida in their about 20 years experience of being shall issue. Those are Darwin award candidates waiting to happen.
By definiition, criminals do not worry about, nor comply with, laws.
Absolutely.
I'll even go one (big) step further. Why do we need CCW permits in the first place? Vermont has had no such law - since statehood over 200 years ago! And Alaska went to "No permit necessary" a few years ago. Have you EVER heard of a "problem" in those two states???
Nope. Also Nevada is an open carry State and it's legal to conceal it in your vehicle. So how do they verify that someone carrying openly or having one concealed in their vehicle is legal for them to have?
Are Nevada citizens somehow less trustworthy than citizens in Vermont and Alaska???
Nope.
Indeed, methinks the 2nd Amendment to our great Constitution IS our CCW "permit."

Having said that, however, I DO support our "shall issue" CCW permit system, pending restoration of our true 2nd Amendment rights.
What needs to happen is restoration of our NICS exemption and prohibited areas systematically repealed. There is no reason why NV cannot be like UT with respect to prohibited areas with an Alaska style CCW law with permits being optional for recognition/reciprocity, NICS exemptions and Federal GFSZA exemptions.

Last edited:
I received my renewal NV CFP in the mail yesterday. It appears that once LVMPD calls you to redo your fingerprints that's all they are waiting for. The issuance date on my renewal NV CFP is 1/14/2009, it was postmarked 1/16/2009. It arrived on 1/17/2009 exactly a month before expiration. LVMPD appears to be running at about 80 days now for issuance if they don't lose your prints, 90 if they do.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back