Lube /oil

hogwylde

Is Hoppe's gun oil the same as lube or are they two different products?

Hoppe's has lubricating oil, grease, and a dry-lube. They all do the same type of job, provide protection to metal-to-metal moving parts and to protect against rust. Lubricating oil is exactly what it sounds like, grease is thicker, and dry lube is a spray lube that isn't wet or greasy.

If there are any others I missed, someone else catch my slack please.

Hoppe's has lubricating oil, grease, and a dry-lube. They all do the same type of job, provide protection to metal-to-metal moving parts and to protect against rust. Lubricating oil is exactly what it sounds like, grease is thicker, and dry lube is a spray lube that isn't wet or greasy.

Wolf, you said it right, without getting into what particular lube is the best for one particular job,

Thank you for your reply.

My M&P's manual says to use to few drops of lube in certain places after cleaning. I have a bottle of Hoppe's Elite gun oil. So in your opinion, is that what they are talking about or would suffice?

That or actually, nearly any light oil will do.... Some even use full synthetic engine oil! What matters is that you oil what needs oiled... a dry gun is not a happy one.

That or actually, nearly any light oil will do.... Some even use full synthetic engine oil! What matters is that you oil what needs oiled... a dry gun is not a happy one.

Is this going to turn into a synthetic vs dino oil thread? :wink:

Thank you for your reply.

My M&P's manual says to use to few drops of lube in certain places after cleaning. I have a bottle of Hoppe's Elite gun oil. So in your opinion, is that what they are talking about or would suffice?

Yes, your manual shows you where the metal-to-metal contact is and hence where you need to "lube", "grease", "oil", "lubricate", or "put whatever other word that means reduce frictional wear in here".

This actually is why a lot of people like the Glock. They've really minimized the number of metal-to-metal interactions. This is also the reason why a lot of people hate Glocks. LOL.

Two things kill a firearm... wear and water. Wear kills a firearm by eroding parts by friction. Water kills a firearm through rust. Lubrication fights both enemies.

Two things kill a firearm... wear and water. Wear kills a firearm by eroding parts by friction. Water kills a firearm through rust. Lubrication fights both enemies.

Actually three things, you left out politicians. Try Pro-Shot synthenic gun oil, best gun oil I have used.

|

One may be surprised how many gun oils are repackaged synthetic motor oil. The two gun oils I recommend is MPro 7, and Frog lube, if you gotta have an oil that says "gun". I use Mobil 1 5w20. The object is to stop metal to metal contact. I ain't going to shoot in weather below -45!

Oil properties
Product

Low Temp High Temp
SLIP Gunlube (actually a CLP) -75 750
SLIP EWL -65 750
SLIP EWL30 -65 750
SLIP EWG Grease -100 750
TW25B Grease -90 450
MC2500 (TW25 oil) -90 450
MPro 7 LPX (actually a CLP) -85 460
FP10 -50 290
Miltech 1 -45 450
Mobil 1 0-50 -65 425
Mobil 1 5-30 -40 445
Mobil 1 5-20 -40 445
Mobil 1 10-30 -38 450
Mobil 1 10-40 -65 480
Mobil 1 20-50 -60 530
Mobil 1 Syn ATF -60 430
Amsoil 10-40 -50 450
XF7 Grease nd 500
Froglube nd (-45 est) nd 450 (est)
nd = no data available

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back