Low recoil .38sp for training

Nick Burkhardt

My wife's new Ruger LCR .38sp is shipped and on the way. She has fired her friends S&W airweight before, I don't know with what load, and did not like it. I am hoping that the Houge tamer grip and polymer frame will make a difference on the LCR. Still I would like to find some Low recoil .38sp ammo for her to train on. I did buy a box of those Pink tipped 90GR bullets form Hornady, but at $0.96 per round they are too expensive to train with.

Any suggestions?

OP, have you considered reloading? You could load the 'Ole favorite of competitive shooters... the infamous "Wadcutters & 2.7".... They used Bullseye powder, I believe.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Winchester makes some 130gr FMJ target loads that are pretty soft. Their 150gr LRN loads are good too.

I ordered three boxes of the 3-D wadcutters 3D INV INC 38 SPECIAL 148 GR WADCUTTER POLICE TRADE | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for $52 shipped. That should last her for the rest of the year.

Looks like a good deal, never heard of those cartridges. The only down side I have found using wadcutters is that they don't perform particularly well when used in speed loaders & doing rapid-reload drills. As you can imagine, they can get hung-up easily when being pressed towards the cylinder much more than traditional loads. Bullet shape has a lot to do with being quick and proficient with a wheel gun in a gunfight scenario.

The 3D wadcutters had more kick than the Hornady CD Lite 90gr pink tipped, and only slightly less than American Eagle 158gr LRN. The Wadcutters had a little more smoke and powder residue than the others, but for the price it is worth the extra ten minutes of cleaning.

The 3D wadcutters had more kick than the Hornady CD Lite 90gr pink tipped, and only slightly less than American Eagle 158gr LRN. The Wadcutters had a little more smoke and powder residue than the others, but for the price it is worth the extra ten minutes of cleaning.

Bullet weight will do that, usually the heavier the bullet the more it'll recoil. I must stress usually, it's not always the case... especially if one reloads. I could make some pretty soft shootin' loads like the "2.7 & wadcutters" I mentioned, those are 148gr WC that poof out of a 6" barrel around 600fps... that's mild.

Howdy,

Cowboy loads.

+1! On the Cowboy loads.

I gave my S&W Model 15-3 .38Special to my wife for HD and she had never shot a handgun before so I let her practice with a very mild 125gr LSWC "Cowboy Load". The 125gr LSWC travels about 700ft/sec from the 4" barrel.

First time she shot it she was like "Wow! That doesn't kick at all." right after she shot my Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull with a mid-power load.

Paul

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back