Louisiana no longer recognizes FL non-resident permits

The maps have been updated to reflect this. Next time, please don't post the same thread multiple times. I delete the others leaving this one. Thanks.

The maps have been updated to reflect this. Next time, please don't post the same thread multiple times. I delete the others leaving this one. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick update and sorry about the multiple threads. I had myself a bit animated after reading that thread last night. Just wanted to make sure everyone saw it!

I sent an email to LA Gov Jindal complaining about this illegal change by the Louisiana State Police (LSP). It clearly violates LRS 40:1379.3 T.(1) reprinted here:

"T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section."

Emphasis added.

Nowhere in the above law does it make a distinction between (or even mention) resident and non-resident permits.

The LSP clearly has no authority to change the law as they see fit. I'm hoping LA Gov. Jindal who has Presidential aspirations and is (or has it changed to "was"?) a staunch 2nd amendment supporter will get the LSP to correct this and enforce laws rather than re-writing them - that's the job of the LA legislature!

On another note, the statement about not honoring non-resident FL permits was REMOVED from the LSP website. Very strange.

Strange, because Louisiana still honors non-resident permits from many other states. Why would Florida be the one exception, especially when so many other states honor Florida's permit? Not long ago, Louisiana agreed to honor permits from Maine, which does issue non-resident permits.

At least Louisiana still honors Utah non-resident and Alabama.

Yes, updated 10/21 (yesterday). handgun.usa is pretty careful, but they're not perfect. I'd still check to be sure.

Louisiana State Police have already removed their statement about not honoring non-resident Florida permits from their website. However, Florida has not removed the evil footnote (4) from their reciprocity list yet. FL is good about updating their list, but they're not as fast as handgunlaw.us.

From http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html
"(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."

Louisiana State Police have already removed their statement about not honoring non-resident Florida permits from their website. However, Florida has not removed the evil footnote (4) from their reciprocity list yet. FL is good about updating their list, but they're not as fast as handgunlaw.us.

From Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS
"(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."

Florida's website has been updated. Footnote (4) next to Louisiana has been deleted. So its official, LA recognizes FL non-resident permits (again). :biggrin:

I found this today. On the LSP website in the frequestly asked section: Note the "Effective August 15, 2011" remark.

:hang3:

Please refer to the “Reciprocity” section of our web page (Louisiana State Police) for a list of states that honor Louisiana permits and whose permits are honored in Louisiana. Effective August 15, 2011, Louisiana will no longer allow residents of this state to carry concealed with a non-resident permit issued by another state.
[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (T) (1)]

I found this today. On the LSP website in the frequestly asked section: Note the "Effective August 15, 2011" remark.

:hang3:

Please refer to the “Reciprocity” section of our web page (Louisiana State Police) for a list of states that honor Louisiana permits and whose permits are honored in Louisiana. Effective August 15, 2011, Louisiana will no longer allow residents of this state to carry concealed with a non-resident permit issued by another state.
[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (T) (1)]

:cray: living in a "shall not issue, shall not honor, shall not accept, shall not offer, shall not... shall not... " state, i would love to live somewhere that has its own cc and also offers non-resident. but if my home state offered a permit i would start with that one first. even if it only coverd my state and a few others. then i would get another to fill in the states that i frequently travel to. so far i have one non resident... waiting on the other. but thinking of moving from here anyway so it doesnt really matter right now :biggrin:

As of today the page disagrees...

Reciprocity

Pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.3(T)(1) a valid permit in another state is valid in Louisiana if the issuing state honors concealed handgun permits issued by Louisiana.

Permit holders are reminded that while carrying a concealed handgun in another state they are bound by that state's laws governing concealed carry and permittees from other reciprocal states are bound by Louisiana concealed carry laws while in Louisiana.

But the statement concerns Louisiana resident that hold a non-resident permit from another state. Even if there is reciprocity with that state, after August 15, 2011 Louisiana will not honor out of state non-resident permits held by Louisiana RESIDENTS.

Link Removed

:pleasantry:

Right, tanker. They're saying merely that if you live in Louisiana and want to carry, you can't get by on a permit from another state whose permit Louisiana honors. Residents of Louisiana have to have a Louisiana permit, that's all. I think some other states also follow the principle that reciprocity is for nonresidents, not residents. Tennessee, for example, recognizes Alabama permits, but if you live in Alabama and take your gun to your regular job in Tennessee, they want you to get a Tennessee permit, too.

I live in Alabama and in theory could use my Florida (or Utah or New Hampshire) nonresident permit to get by here. However, whether or not Alabama recognizes these states, I believe it's always a good idea to have your home state's permit. I'm good in Louisiana on the basis of any one of my permits from Alabama, Florida, Utah, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Maine. But if I moved to Louisiana, I'd have to get a permit there.

I can't think of any state that has reciprocity with other states but also makes it difficult to get a resident permit.

Now if New Jersey and Maryland honored Florida nonresident permits . . .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back