Lost my indiana handgun permit

crazywhoa

Hey guys I have a question. I live in Indiana and I can't find my permit. Can I carry my handgun with out my permit?

Sent from my SM-N900T using USA Carry mobile app

I know this doesn't help you, but I called to report my License to carry, lost. I live in Pa. I had to go to the court house, and pay 5 dollars to have my lost license to carry registered as lost. I had to then re apply for a New license. I would just call the issuing agency for the proper protocol. BTW I could not carry until I physically had the new License.
Good luck

And you are asking on an Internet Forum for advice, instead of checking with the issuing agency? 5 seconds of Google-foo turned up a form that says you can get a duplicate of your lost license document for $20: Link Removed.

Guys thanks so much. But mr. Both I know that. The question was if I could carry with out. So read before talking.

Sent from my SM-N900T using USA Carry mobile app

Guys thanks so much. But mr. Both I know that. The question was if I could carry with out. So read before talking.

Actually, I did read your original post before posting. That got me thinking. Why would you consider carrying without the permit document if you can get a replacement for $20? Since you don't seem to know your own state's law, why ask on an Internet Forum for legal advice? You will certainly not get any qualified legal advice, other than to read your own state's code: Link Removed. If you can't find it in the state's code, contact the issuing agency: Link Removed.

Know the law. Don't rely on Internet Forums for legal advice.

I don't want to get in the middle but when I lost mine, I assumed that I could still carry because my carry was on record ( at that time being a licensed 35 year carry veteran ... when I lost it.. I had no ability to call the court house because it was the weekend.. I planed on calling the courthouse Monday morning but thought about if I could carry over the weekend... having carried for 35 years when I lost it, being without my weapon was like going out without my pants... I did carry illegally over the weekend.. but found out later that it was indeed illegal.
I could see someone asking.. so the idea was that, its not a good idea to carry without a physical permit...nothing wrong with asking a question.. if everyone feared ridicule for asking a question here there would be no need to go to an internet forum for the purpose of discussion a question.. we could all just go to the world wide web, and find out the answer... and also some people are not as computer savvy as others.. so being sympathetic to a question is a much friendlier response.
Bill aka ET

Here's the answer from the actual code in Indiana:
Link Removed

IC 35-47-2-24
Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption
or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or
establishment of exemption
Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the
enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to
negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the
absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof
is on the defendant to prove
that he is exempt under section 2 of this
chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
(b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a
violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the
prosecuting attorney
or establishes that he is exempt under section 2
of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this
chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest
or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

What that means is that if a cop stops you in Indiana and discovers that you are carrying a pistol, it is up to you to prove that you are licensed to do so, which is usually accomplished by just showing your license to the officer on the spot. If you don't have your license, then you can't prove that you are licensed and the state has no requirement upon it to actually prove that you don't have a license and you will be found guilty of carrying the firearm without a license. The laws says it is illegal to carry a gun without a license and it is solely, 100% up to you to prove you are licensed.

I lost my license in my wallet once. Seriously.

Went to the eye doc. recently, and may see up close and personal again. Nothing hides in my wallet now, except money.

Some good advice in this thread. Hope the OP found what he wanted here.

Some states will allow your permit to be shown on a mobile device.

I'd go on the Internet and fill out the form on the state website. Pay the 20 bucks and get the new plastic one if I lost mine

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back