Looking to get some new gear… any help?

CarryMike

I plan on going on a lot of camping trips in the coming months, and I'm looking for a sleeping bag and a backpack that's going to hold up for long hikes.

Is military gear the best way to go? There is some really durable army gear and I like the style of it, but I haven't bought a pack or a sleeping bag in a while, so there might be a better option out there.

I found some Goarmy site that has decent prices, plus their mummy bags and highlander packs look decent. Anyone shop there before? I've made the mistake of getting cheap sleeping bags before, and I never got that great of sleep because of it.

The one I have now is horrible in the fall, when it cools down, and I already had to patch it up a couple times. Oh, and what's better… external frame backpacks or internal? I can never decide.

I don't know… give me some suggestions so that I can get into some good camping this summer.

I plan on going on a lot of camping trips in the coming months, and I'm looking for a sleeping bag and a backpack that's going to hold up for long hikes.

Is military gear the best way to go? There is some really durable army gear and I like the style of it, but I haven't bought a pack or a sleeping bag in a while, so there might be a better option out there.

I found some Goarmy site that has decent prices, plus their mummy bags and highlander packs look decent. Anyone shop there before? I've made the mistake of getting cheap sleeping bags before, and I never got that great of sleep because of it.

The one I have now is horrible in the fall, when it cools down, and I already had to patch it up a couple times. Oh, and what's better… external frame backpacks or internal? I can never decide.

I don't know… give me some suggestions so that I can get into some good camping this summer.

My suggestion would be to go to a camping store and also to an Army-Navy store and try on the backpacks and see which you prefer. Me personally, I like the internal frame. The reason being is there is a layer of fabric between me and the frame. It's just a comfort thing. Some like an external because they can tie off of it. See which you like better.

Concerning the sleeping bag, you really need to do your research on what you need. Take into consideration size of the bag, temperature rating (you don't want to be too hot or too cold), water resistance, and what material it is made of.

Hopefully, these ideas will steer you in the right direction for your shopping. Let us know what you end up with.

My suggestion would be to go to a camping store and also to an Army-Navy store and try on the backpacks and see which you prefer. Me personally, I like the internal frame. The reason being is there is a layer of fabric between me and the frame. It's just a comfort thing. Some like an external because they can tie off of it. See which you like better.

Concerning the sleeping bag, you really need to do your research on what you need. Take into consideration size of the bag, temperature rating (you don't want to be too hot or too cold), water resistance, and what material it is made of.

Hopefully, these ideas will steer you in the right direction for your shopping. Let us know what you end up with.

Thanks man, I will pop into my local army-navy store as you suggested. Think the build quality on that type of stuff is far superior to a lot of the Vango's.

Cheers,

Mike

I have been using a Coleman mummy bag and External frame backpack hiking the Rockies for several years and they work fine, in the Winter I add a Mountain Chalet Bota Bag and I'm good

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back