Looking to buy first handgun

hfd45287

I know this seems like this is a topic covered over and over again but I find myself on a fence.
First off I am new to this site and want to say Hi. I'm looking to buy my first concealed carry gun and I and having such a headache over what to buy. I feel like I want a .45 ACP doing a little research because people say the recoil is less than a .40 S&W. However I have been around to different stores and felt a few different guns. I have a buddy of mine who owns a Springfield XDS .45 and loves it , I feel it doesn't quite fit my hand the way a gun should. With the extended mag on the Springfield feels better. I have a been looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in .40 S&W and like the way it feels in my hand. Just such a hard decision on what to buy what to carry. Any input would be great from everyone. Input on those two guns or even other guns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tyler

There's plenty of advice in the threads here, so do a good search and try to find out as much as you can. But I'll put some of my thoughts down.

First, the best gun is the one that you will use/carry, and gain an intimate knowledge of through practice, more practice, and even more practice. Discussing 9mm vs. 40S&W vs. 45ACP can begin something known as "caliber wars." Everyone will have an opinion, and while most will raise valid points, I refer to the golden rule above. If you're not comfortable shooting your chosen caliber, you won't practice, and if you won't practice, you won't - and shouldn't - use/carry.

Here's my take... 9mm is generally the lightest load with the least recoil, but still has a snappy character to it. 45ACP has a stronger recoil, but more of a push than a snap. 40S&W, IMHO (and many others') has the most felt recoil and snap. Different things can affect recoil, not the least of which is gun size. Therefore, the smallest guns in the biggest calibers will have the most recoil. More recoil generally means slower return to target and follow-up shots, not to mention comfort of shooting, and desire to practice (yeah, I know... harping on that point over and over). Guns with heavier slides or overall weight will dampen recoil, but obviously add weight. Bore height can also affect recoil, as the forces sit lower towards the grip (Glock). Smaller guns will also generally affect the number of rounds available, but standard and extended capacity magazines are often built-in options.

In terms of effectiveness of the different calibers, with modern ammunition they are pretty much on an even playing field. All modern defensive ammo will expand greatly when ballistic characteristics are maximized. Many feel that there really is no advantage to carrying one over the other in terms of penetration, expansion, and effectiveness. However, many others will argue that while a 9mm may expand, a 45ACP won't shrink.

Ammo prices and availability are also a factor (practice, practice, practice), and these are in constant flux and change. However, generally 9mm is less than 40S&W, and this is less than 45ACP.

Some manufacturers also have conversion barrels available for 40S&W to convert to 9mm. This can add even more confusion, and many will argue that you shouldn't use a conversion for anything more than plinking or practice (makes a more expensive 40S&W cheaper to shoot).

So what does this mean to someone like me... I own handguns in 45ACP and 9mm. I didn't see the advantage of owning a 40S&W, and I shoot both 9mm and 45ACP comfortably. I appreciate and own Springfield Armory XD(M) compacts and XD-S models in both calibers. They fit me comfortably, shoot well for me, I like the combination of safety features, and generally just enjoy everything about them (remember, you have to upkeep them, too). The XD line has been torture tested, and I have every bit of confidence in any of them to perform if and when needed.

I have held and shot Glocks, M&Ps, Shields, Nanos,1911s, and who knows what else. I always come back to my SA's. They have excellent round capacity for their sizes, and I feel comfortable carrying any of them IWB.

As far as another great starter handgun that I feel is very underrated, but is a great performer and equal to the SA for feel in my hands, is the Ruger SR series. I owned an SR9c at one point... very comfortable, well made (American), more accurate than I am, easily maintained, and definitely cheaper in price than most. Truth be told, more comfortable to carry than my XD(M), but not to shoot (for me). Comes in 9mm and 40S&W (for now). Worth a look.

Find a range you can rent at and shoot everything you can to get a feel for what you like. That's invaluable in trying to find your first gun.

Whew... a lot to type on a phone, and maybe more than you wanted to know about some things. There is always more to know and consider. There is no end to what I learn every day about firearms. Hope it was at least somewhat helpful.

There's plenty of advice in the threads here, so do a good search and try to find out as much as you can. But I'll put some of my thoughts down.

First, the best gun is the one that you will use/carry, and gain an intimate knowledge of through practice, more practice, and even more practice. Discussing 9mm vs. 40S&W vs. 45ACP can begin something known as "caliber wars." Everyone will have an opinion, and while most will raise valid points, I refer to the golden rule above. If you're not comfortable shooting your chosen caliber, you won't practice, and if you won't practice, you won't - and shouldn't - use/carry.

Here's my take... 9mm is generally the lightest load with the least recoil, but still has a snappy character to it. 45ACP has a stronger recoil, but more of a push than a snap. 40S&W, IMHO (and many others') has the most felt recoil and snap. Different things can affect recoil, not the least of which is gun size. Therefore, the smallest guns in the biggest calibers will have the most recoil. More recoil generally means slower return to target and follow-up shots, not to mention comfort of shooting, and desire to practice (yeah, I know... harping on that point over and over). Guns with heavier slides or overall weight will dampen recoil, but obviously add weight. Bore height can also affect recoil, as the forces sit lower towards the grip (Glock). Smaller guns will also generally affect the number of rounds available, but standard and extended capacity magazines are often built-in options.

In terms of effectiveness of the different calibers, with modern ammunition they are pretty much on an even playing field. All modern defensive ammo will expand greatly when ballistic characteristics are maximized. Many feel that there really is no advantage to carrying one over the other in terms of penetration, expansion, and effectiveness. However, many others will argue that while a 9mm may expand, a 45ACP won't shrink. I

Ammo prices and availability are also a factor (practice, practice, practice), and these are in constant flux and change. However, generally 9mm is less than 40S&W, and this is less than 45ACP.

Some manufacturers also have conversion barrels available for 40S&W to convert to 9mm. This can add even more confusion, and many will argue that you shouldn't use a conversion for anything more than plinking or practice (makes a more expensive 40S&W cheaper to shoot).

So what does this mean to someone like me... I own handguns in 45ACP and 9mm. I didn't see the advantage of owning a 40S&W, and I shoot both 9mm and 45ACP comfortably. I appreciate and own Springfield Armory XD(M) compacts and XD-S models in both calibers. They fit me comfortably, shoot well for me, I like the combination of safety features, and generally just enjoy everything about them (remember, you have to upkeep them, too). The XD line has been torture tested, and I have every bit of confidence in any of them to perform if and when needed.

I have held and shot Glocks, M&Ps, Shields, Nanos,1911s, and who knows what else. I always come back to my SA's. They have excellent round capacity for their sizes, and I feel comfortable carrying any of them IWB.

As far as another great starter handgun that I feel is very underrated, but is a great performer and equal to the SA for feel in my hands, is the Ruger SR series. I owned an SR9c at one point... very comfortable, well made (American), more accurate than I am, easily maintained, and definitely cheaper in price than most. Truth be told, more comfortable to carry than my XD(M), but not to shoot (for me). Comes in 9mm and 40S&W (for now). Worth a look.

Find a range you can rent at and shoot everything you can to get a feel for what you like. That's invaluable in trying to find your first gun.

Whew... a lot to type on a phone, and maybe more than you wanted to know about some things. There is always more to know and consider. There is no end to what I learn every day about firearms. Hope it was at least somewhat helpful.

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciate it. However in NY I cannot find a place that has rental guns. More and more I'm leaning towards the XDS. also possible getting a smith and Wesson m and p shield 9 mm

My 2 cents for new shooters is to grab a 9mm and shoot the crap out of it. Ammo is reasonably priced and recoil/snap is on the low side. Once you have some gun skills and feel comfortable you can think about your CC needs. 45 ammo is very expensive to learn with. You may have to buy and sell and few guns until you find the perfect one for you.

I really liked both the XDS and the Shield. I tried both in 9mm, and they weren't much different. I prefer the safeties on the XDS, but wound up with the Shield because it was in the middle of the recall. Plus, the very aggressive grip on the XDS hurt my hand, and I could reach the mag release on the Shield much easier. Still kind of want an XDS, just because, but I've got other niches to fill first! I really do love my Shield. Fits my hands perfectly.

Beyond that... what BUmmedic said :smile:

If you want something that's concealable but comfortable to shoot as well as being a .45acp.
Then you must try a Kahr CW45!
I have one and love it. It's less than a inch thick, has a 3.6" barrel, but has a full grip. I have big hands and these little sub compacts just don't work for me. I can get a full grasp of my CW grip. It's very comfortable to practice with at the range and is very accurate. It may take a bit to get use to the DAO trigger but it is a true conceal carry pistol and has zero safeties except for the long trigger pull. Basically your holster is the safety. So if u ever have to draw ur pistol all you have to worry about is pointing it and pulling the trigger.
You should seriously take a look at Kahr!!
Link Removed

They don't get mentioned much, but while you're looking, check out the CZ 75. I've never heard a bad word about them, and at less than $500, they're pretty affordable.

Another option, to further confuse you, would be to consider the Beretta PX-4 Storm in 40 S&W in the (Compact) Model, not the sub-compact. It Has some nice features like ambidextrous slide release and safety. Also the mag release button can be flipped either way. Another nice feature is that the action twists during firing instead of traveling straight back to absorb a lot of the recoil. It comes with 2 mags as well.

Let me second the Ruger SR 9, particularly the SR9c. Rugers are known for their durability, reliability and should it ever come to it, customer service. My daughter's 9c has never once failed to fire no matter what we feed it, is accurate and at least for hers, has a very good trigger. It is light and comes with a 10 rnd mag for carry and a 17 rounder for practice.
I personally carry a Sig P220 SAO in 45 ACP. Its big, heavy, (so am I 6'2" 300lbs) accurate and I love it. However, I am looking for another SR9c since I know it will be easier to carry in the hot summers here in west Tx.

Last year buddy took me to a range. I shot some of his pistols. 62 years old and I'm shooting for first time ever. Tried his.38, his LC9, SR9 & his SR40C. I fell in love with the SR40C. I shot it well for a beginner. The snappiness of the .40S&W excited me. I was hooked on.40

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I took a friend to a range where he could shoot many different hand guns xd,glock,s&w,kimber. He wanted a glock until he fired one,he ended up getting a 1911 comander.All the guns that have been mentioned here are good for ccw. Go to a range where you can try as many as you can, choose the one that you are willing to carry every day and practice practice practice. Spend the money for a good holster don't skrimp there or you will be less likley to carry every day. Good luck.

For a compact 45 acp the XDS is VERY impressive. But it sounds like you are on the right path, see if you can rent, borrow or shoot with folks with various arms you would like to test. Offering to cover the ammo for a shoot especially as hard as ammo has been to find lately can be a big help and is just polite

I took a friend to a range where he could shoot many different hand guns xd,glock,s&w,kimber. He wanted a glock until he fired one,he ended up getting a 1911 comander.All the guns that have been mentioned here are good for ccw. Go to a range where you can try as many as you can, choose the one that you are willing to carry every day and practice practice practice. Spend the money for a good holster don't skrimp there or you will be less likley to carry every day. Good luck.
Couldn't say it better. Add to holster a proper gun belt.

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed.

I tried both the SR9C & the SR40C that a friend owned (First time ever shooting a handgun) and i actually shot the .40S&W better. Have had mine for a little over a yearLink Removed SR40C in a 3Speed Holster

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back