Looking for some expert knowledge...

DILLIGAF

www.lmsclan.com
I recently purchased a DPMS Sportical .223/5.56 AR-15. It does not have an ejection port cover on it. I am wondering how hard/complicated it would be to install one....or if its even possible to install an after market one on this type of firearm. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The ejection port cover is nice but thoroughly not necessary...that is why they don't include it when they want to market a bit less expensive AR. The only time it may come in handy is if you are firing rounds during a major dust storm or if you drop it in the mud. Avoid those circumstances and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the insight.....new to the AR family....love the gun just dipping my feet in the water about custom parts to make it my own, instead of jumping in with both feet...lol
Thanks again

There's a reason they call it a dust cover. Not essential for operation but can help keep dust and debris out of the moving parts. M16s were notorious for not liking dirt and debris in the workings such as the bolt carrier group. That was the reason for the dust cover in the first place.

Welcome to the AR family. Your mind will be numb with all the toys and trinkets you can buy for it. One can easily have more $$$ tied up in accessories than what the rifle is worth. I know I am guilty of this.

Nothing you can really do to that upper reciever to put in a dust cover, just buy a new upper reciever with the dust cover and maybe the fwd assist.

Dude, you live in Indiana right? Not Saudi Arabia.
Forget about the dust cover & shoot it like you
stole it.

Thanks for the insight.....new to the AR family....love the gun just dipping my feet in the water about custom parts to make it my own, instead of jumping in with both feet...lol
Thanks again

They call the AR a "man's Barbie Doll".

if you are shooting, the dust cover is open, anyway. But for a shtf AR, it's a really good idea to have one.

No, you can't add a dust cover to the Sportical.
Yes, a dust cover does have some attributes on a hunting rifle. It not only excludes dust but also snow and to some extent rain. If it's a range only play toy, not much need. I often carry an AR several hours per day in winter and the dust cover is a welcome feature.

Thanks again

The dust cover [thats what we called it in the Army] is fairly easy to install, its just a spring with a pin that runs all of the way through it and it just simply snaps into 2 slots. Theyre in my opinion very necessary, it keeps the bolt of your weapon a little cleaner especially if its going to be fired while its windy outside and during storage.

The dust cover [thats what we called it in the Army] is fairly easy to install, its just a spring with a pin that runs all of the way through it and it just simply snaps into 2 slots. Theyre in my opinion very necessary, it keeps the bolt of your weapon a little cleaner especially if its going to be fired while its windy outside and during storage.

The DPMS sportical has no mount for the dust cover and the ejection port is not milled to accept one. For the rifle the OP has it would be impossible to mount one. Must by a new upper.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back