Looking for ideas on a 45

You might take a look at the Colt New Agent which is available in 45ACP and 9mm. I have one in 9mm. With Crimson Trace grips, the New Agent is an excellent choice for concealed carry. The New Agent has a 3" barrel and weighs approximately 25 ozs. with a loaded mag +1. Short-barrel 1911s often have issues, but not the New Agent. Aside from one type of JHPs, this gun eats everything I feed it and it functions flawlessly. The gun has a trench sight instead of a raised front sight. On one hand there's nothing to snag or slow your draws. On the other, the trench sight takes some adjusting to. Despite lots of practice, I never became very accurate with the trench sight, especially when shooting against a dark background. But after I installed CT grips, this gun quickly became my favorite for CC.

Link Removed

Thanks for all the quick responses. I did find an M&P 45 to look at today. I liked it and it did fit well. I am going to try to find a rental if I can to shoot it. I also found a full size 1911 with a shorter combat trigger that might work.

All the double stacks are too big unfortunately and I did find a Glock 36 to try. Could not grip it.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Glad I found the forum.

You would like the Para Slimhog...They shoot great...I almost picked one of them up but liked the feel or the Warthog better.. The slimhog is single stack where the Warthog is double stack.

The wife has small hands and she wanted the slimhog....Her birthday is coming up and I might just surprise her.

Slimhog Warthog

Link RemovedLink Removed

You might take a look at the Colt New Agent which is available in 45ACP and 9mm. I have one in 9mm. With Crimson Trace grips, the New Agent is an excellent choice for concealed carry. The New Agent has a 3" barrel and weighs approximately 25 ozs. with a loaded mag +1. Short-barrel 1911s often have issues, but not the New Agent. Aside from one type of JHPs, this gun eats everything I feed it and it functions flawlessly. The gun has a trench sight instead of a raised front sight. On one hand there's nothing to snag or slow your draws. On the other, the trench sight takes some adjusting to. Despite lots of practice, I never became very accurate with the trench sight, especially when shooting against a dark background. But after I installed CT grips, this gun quickly became my favorite for CC.

Link Removed

I'm sure you know that the New Agent is a derivative of the Link Removed, right? It's just a minimalist version, sans useful sights and rubber grips. I bought my Defender shortly after they were announced and when available, installed Crimson Trace sights on it. That comedy lasted about 30 minutes at the range.

Evidently, I drink so much coffee that I can't hold a gun too steadily. My laser point was hyped-up; jumping everywhere over the target. The guy at the next shooting lane asked to PLEASE turn off the laser as it was making him ill. I focused so hard on trying to steady-down that jumpy laser that I got a headache . Besides, I missed the Hogue rubber grips that came on my Defender. It just didn't feel right. So I took-off the laser grips and reinstalled the stock grips. I immediately shot a 2 1/2 group at 25 yards. The best I can figure is that I have learned (subconsciously) to time my trigger pull with the crossing of my front sight over the target.

My Defender is so old that it doesn't have the nice Novak sights that the new ones have. I have a standard 1911 front and rear sight on the darned thing, except it does have white dots (not Tritium). I talked with the folks at Novak and they can't install Tritium inserts - they need to install completely new sights (like the new Defenders come with ). Here is my Defender (left) compared to a new Defender:

Link Removed Link Removed

One point I will make for you and the OP is that the New Agent has slim, wooden grips. It is (in my opinion) rather tough to shoot too much. It twists (torque-recoil) in my hand. The Defender, on the other hand, has those nice, soft Hogue grips that soften the blow caused by shooting a .45 caliber round in such a small gun.

But, again, in my opinion, the Colt Defender/New Agents are the pinnacle of beautiful, well made self-defense pistols. I still believe that you get what you pay for. And you really do pay quite a lot more for a Colt. Heck, you could buy two plastic pistols for the cost of one of these Colts.

Has my bias favoring Colt come through in this post? (smile)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input and great suggestions. I have managed to find the Kahr and M&P. Both seem like good options. Have not been able to find a good selection of Colts or the Para Slimhog yet. Hearing 2012 production is sold out on a number of models. Crazy.

45!!

Kahr cw45, smooth D/A trigger, very little recoil for a cc or oc gun, six rd mag. a joy to shoot!!! Check out the stats.
Keep your powder dry!!!:cool:

Another vote for the Kahr CW45. The new .45 single stack XD from Springfield could deserve a look. Another option is slim grips. I installed Aluma slip grips (needs new bushings) and it actually made the grip too slim for me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back